Help needed with a search

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 151
Ryan Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 26 2017 7:40 PM

One thing is that this query only has 11 results. You originally said this construction happens a total of 21 times in the gospels. So, I'd probably need to compare that list of 21 with the 11 hits and look in Cascadia at the other 10 hits to add on to this query with the OR function. I just put this one together in a couple minutes to help start things off.

Posts 22
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 26 2017 9:06 PM

Thank you, Ryan! I see how you constructed your list. I also do not understand why it returned so few hits. It give Luke 9.29 but not 9.18 which appear to me to be identically constructed in Cascadia. It also misses all the ones that are εγενετο δε εν τω INF, but the Cascadia construction shouldn't be affected by that as far as I can tell.

The morph query looks like the way to go. The syntax search certainly appears to be a precise instrument, but it's awfully complicated and fussy.

Thanks again.

Posts 24549
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 27 2017 12:23 AM

Dave Hooton:

Graham Criddle:

Mark Hoffman:
I was wondering why the search results were returning 2 set of responses for Swete and Swete's Alternative texts. Keep scrolling down to the 2nd set, and you'll see that the versification has been corrected/aligned to match with the usual standards.

Sorry Mark - I hadn't seen your comment before I said effectively the same thing laterSmile

This usually arises when there is an update to a resource and not everybody has the update, so the results are given for both versions. Run the query against a specific resource to avoid the issue.

Thanks Dave

Very helpful

Posts 151
Ryan Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 27 2017 4:25 AM

Mark can you tell me what hit is missing from this list? 

Although syntax searching can be complex and difficult at times, I personally think it's amazing tool once learned well. I'm constantly trying to learn. So, if you could for me tell me which hit is missing (seems that I have 20 out of 21). 

Opentext was definitely easier here because of the δέ. The pesky gap function in Cascadia doesn't work all that well. :) 

Posts 22
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 27 2017 10:27 AM

Hi, Ryan. You must have changed your initial search a bit to get these expanded results. (I ran your initial one you posted and got 10.)

The two you are missting are Luke 11.1 and Acts 19.1.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

Posts 151
Ryan Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 27 2017 1:27 PM

Yeah. I went to the Opentext database for the query. It's easier when you have words like δέ come into the picture (the gap function doesn't work well and Cascadia requires it).

Again, this is just for fun since the morph query is doing what you need. But, here is the final query to get all the hits.

Maybe this will help you for future searches where Syntax is the best way to go about it.

Posts 22
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 27 2017 2:31 PM

Oh, my! I'm impressed! Yes, the Syntax search is powerful, but that's a lot of work.

Could you have gotten all the results without knowing the verses to see what you were looking for?

Thanks again!

Posts 151
Ryan Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 27 2017 4:31 PM

Well, if you get to know the database enough, I think you could do something to fit hits and then start building from there. But, I almost try to take a verse and start building from there. The more you use "matching skips levels", the crazier things start to get. So, as you can see the above query, I try to avoid that. But, here is something that I could have thought of from scratch (without a test case to build from) and could have pulled hits up in the database to start to build the query more accurately. 

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS