'Jesus and the Eyewitnesses' - links in Logos point to 1st edition, will stay like that?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 27 2017 3:15 AM

Hello all

I am fairly sure what the answer to this question will be, but am interested to hear from Logos staff and/or knowledgable persons regarding this question.

The title Jesus and the Eyewitnesses is out in print in an expanded 2nd edition. The first edition is available on Logos and the second edition is under development. I don't have either in my library yet.

When I do a basic search in Logos for the author "Bauckham" or a relevant topic from the book, for example "Papias" I get a number of hits from secondary titles I do have which point to specific page references in Jesus and the Eyewitnesses, but obviously to the 1st edition. For example the following:

Witherington, B., III. (2009). What’s in the Word: Rethinking the Socio-Rhetorical Character of the New Testament.

has a whole section discussing Bauckham's book.

So my question is when Logos releases the 2nd edition of Jesus and the Eyewitnesses will all the links in other titles that point to pages in the 1st edition be updated to point to the 2nd edition, or both editions, or no change.

I am pretty sure that the answer will be that for both technical and literary reasons (other author referenced the 1st edition of Bauckham's book in their own title), that the answer will be that all the Logos links will (still) only point to the 1st edition — but I am interested to get the full background from Logos (or knowledgable persons).

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 1958
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 27 2017 10:11 AM

For a situation like this, the links would only point to the originally cited edition.  They are technically different resources, and it might even be that something referenced in a source to the original edition might not even be in the second edition, so that would create additional issues.  

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 3172
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 27 2017 10:36 AM

Another reason I've been told by FL is that if they changed the links to point to the second edition, anyone who owned the first edition would then have to buy the second edition.

Not changing the links is a "win" for anyone who already owns the first edition, however the first edition tends to get pulled from the store once the second edition is available. So it also turns into a "loss" for anyone who can eventually only buy the second edition.

It would be nice if customers who owned one edition could still buy the other edition at a discount, but our options are limited since publishers obviously want people to buy the new edition.

Posts 511
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 27 2017 5:44 PM

PetahChristian:

It would be nice if customers who owned one edition could still buy the other edition at a discount

Yes

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 30 2017 7:29 PM

plus as I understand it, all of those old titles - every link to the first edition in each of those titles - would have to be changed.

So IF 1000 books referenced a certain book. 1000 books would have to be updated. there isn't to my knowledge any way to dynamically update all the links in all the books.

Going forward, in theory, anyone who references the 2nd edition, will have links that go to the second edition.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS