New World Translation?

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:24 PM

Floyd, thanks so much for making this point, I have a ministry which allows me to give out free bible software and teach believers how to use it.  I run across believers from many different traditions, and I have seen what you are talking about over and over.

In fact, most people want me to tell them what I believe, and I tell them I believe the bible is what I should believe and follow, and that is why I spend so much of my time reading and researching what the scriptures say.  Of course this drives most people nuts, they just have to put a tag on me, but I do not allow it.

If I am with a Calvinist and I am teaching them how to study the scriptures without them knowing it we are soon dealing with one verse after another that is difficult for most Calvinist to deal with, the same is true of any other position.  I try to make them dig into the word of God and question their own position without ever letting them know what we are doing.

I have recently requested that people bid on that 3 volume set you have mentioned bt Pope, even if they are Calvinist so they could use it to understand more about their non-Calvinist brothers and sisters.

The more I grow in the knowledge of Christ, through Him being revealed to me by the Holy Spirit through the scrriptures, the more I love those brothers that disagree with me. I kind of like that!

Let the straw men be slain! They have never helped anyone!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 3861
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 4:50 PM

JimVanSchoonhoven:
The more I grow in the knowledge of Christ, through Him being revealed to me by the Holy Spirit through the scrriptures, the more I love those brothers that disagree with me. I kind of like that!

Yeah, me too.  

Thanks for the comment.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 5:32 PM

JimVanSchoonhoven:
I have recently requested that people bid on that 3 volume set you have mentioned bt Pope, even if they are Calvinist so they could use it to understand more about their non-Calvinist brothers and sisters.

It is difficult to follow the line of thought here...how did this jump from providing the NWT in L4 and Jehovah's Witnesses to Calvinists vs. non-Calvinists? Huh?

JimVanSchoonhoven:
the more I love those brothers that disagree with me.

Not at all meaning that JW's are brothers, right?

JimVanSchoonhoven:
I try to make them dig into the word of God and question their own position without ever letting them know what we are doing.

This would be one tactic if one wanted to use the NWT for sharing the Good News.  It has enough truth in it that I believe one could show a person that Jesus Christ is God.  But, because of the greater amount of error, I don't personally see a benefit in having the NWT in a chemical (silicon) version in Logos4.

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 128
Simon Pleasants | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:24 PM

I've found this topic very interesting as my wife and I have been witnessing to a Jehovah Witness for the last five months or so. I have found insisting on the following guidelines helpful:

1. Only talk about one topic: the divinity of Jesus. If we don't insist on this (and even when we do) the conversation gets off topic very quickly and we end up talking about things such as who the 144,000 are in Revelation.

2. Only quote from the Bible. I think JWs consider their publications as equally authoritative as the Bible. They find it much harder to argue the point from the Bible when they are not quoting their own material.

One book that I've found very helpful for presenting the divinity of Jesus is "Putting Jesus in His Place" by R. M. Bowman and J. Ed Komoszeki (unfortunately, it's not currently available for Logos). It's a very readable book that shows that the divinity of Christ is taught throughout the NT and not in just a few proof texts. I don't use it directly, but rather I print out the verses given in the Appendix that show that Jesus shares the same honour, attributes, names, and deeds as God the Father (Jehovah) (I'd be happy to email these if anyone is interested docsimple at gmail dot com)

I'd be interested in learning about tactics that others have adopted.

"Upon a life I did not live, Upon a death I did not die, Another's life, another's death, I stake my whole eternity"

Horatius Bonar

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:31 PM

Docsimple:
1. Only talk about one topic: the divinity of Jesus. If we don't insist on this (and even when we do) the conversation gets off topic very quickly and we end up talking about things such as who the 144,000 are in Revelation.

Yes

I remember my first encounter with them when I was a young Christian. Their opening question was "do you believe in War?" and for the next 45 minutes, they drug me through every philosophical knothole and swamp there was, until I finally had to ask them to please go away.

It was a good lesson though, keep the conversations focused.

Posts 128
Simon Pleasants | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:53 PM

Sorry, email address should be docsimple111 at gmail dot com.

"Upon a life I did not live, Upon a death I did not die, Another's life, another's death, I stake my whole eternity"

Horatius Bonar

Posts 1
David H. Preuss II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 4:49 AM

Using the link from Si Cochran, go to their site, go to read  Bible online, then choose the Epub download.  Once you have that you can convert the book to rtf format using freeware calibre software (it takes about 7 minutes to convert).  Once you have it in rtf, open it in MS Word, go at least to ea book title and change the title to heading type 1 or title (otherwise you'll have no table of contents links in Logos), and then save as docx.  Open your Logos4, go to my tools > personal books > add Book and add the file and cover image, and be sure change type to Bible > then build you book.  This doesn't convert as a regular Bible, there are no verse links and it does not integrate into the rest of Logos like normal Bible resources, but it does get the text in front of you.

This use of docx format in Logos is amazing.  You can look something up on Wiki, copy and paste to Word, save as docx and import into Logos through this means.  You have to remove the hyperlinks while in Word by rt clicking over them and choose remove hyperlinks... but now that you build it as a book in Logos 4 all Scripture refs are now linked in Logos.  It's pretty awesome.  Look up something like "the Book of Revelation" in Wiki and copy and paste a sample w/ lots of Bible refs.  Enjoy your study :)

for study of the JW cult, don't forget equip.org  http://www.equip.org/category/jehovahs-witnesses/

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS