Proximity search in greek

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
Barry E. Wills | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 31 2017 6:40 AM

I am trying to search for a Greek phrase with a certain word close before it. I knew there were at least a couple of instances of it. I used the proximity search, which found one, but not the other. See the images attached. The top image shows the search with only one hit returned, the bottom image shows the other instance with the word and phrase marked. Is something not working, or do I not understand something? Maybe because it breaks across verses and/or chapters?

Posts 24891
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 31 2017 6:52 AM

Barry E. Wills:
Maybe because it breaks across verses and/or chapters?

That is indeed the issue.

A Bible search is constrained by verse boundaries.

A Basic search is constrained by article / chapter boundaries but even that wouldn't find the case you highlight which spans chapters.

Posts 15
Barry E. Wills | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 31 2017 3:57 PM

That's too bad. When Paul was using the words in proximity to one another, the chapter break wasn't there... I guess I can just search the phrase and look for the single word myself.

Posts 26807
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 1 2017 5:10 PM

Barry E. Wills:
When Paul was using the words in proximity to one another, the chapter break wasn't there..

True. But grammatically, Heb 4:15 and Heb 5:1 are in different sentences so a Syntax search looks like

The intervening sentence is Heb 4:16.

If Sentence2 Repeats 1 to 5 times Rom 15:11-17 is included.

And a more complex search will include Heb 2:17 where the words are in the same sentence.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 15
Barry E. Wills | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 2 2017 7:01 PM

OK. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS