How to Create a Digital File Cabinet in Logos

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Paul Graefe | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 1 2017 6:22 PM

This may not be completely doable (at least as I envision it), but I'd like to create a kind of database file in Logos that would be essentially a digital file cabinet--something that I can add searchable notes to (like quotes I come across or ideas I want to save for future use). it would be something like a topical index, but one I could edit as needed.

I use a note file for annotating passages of scripture; this would be more for general ideas not necessarily related to a specific passage. For example, I would have an entry for "Feasts" with sub-entries for The Feast of Unleavened Bread, The Feast of Tabernacles, Passover, etc. Under these I would add information I find relating to each feast.

One last feature--if possible--would be to include links to resources in Logos and also to other entries within the same database. So in addition to the feast entry "Passover," which might focus on the edible aspects of the feast, I might also have "Passover" as a primary heading which would include thoughts and resources relating to the theological aspects of it.

I hope I'm describing this adequately. Basically, I have numerous notes, post-its, emails, and other types of data collectors that I would like to compile into a single, integrated resource inside Logos. Does that sound doable? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

God bless,

Paul Graefe
Minister
Church of Christ of Folsom

Posts 29477
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 1 2017 7:28 PM

Welcome Paul! Smile

Paul Graefe:
I'd like to create a kind of database file in Logos that would be essentially a digital file cabinet--something that I can add searchable notes to (like quotes I come across or ideas I want to save for future use). it would be something like a topical index, but one I could edit as needed.

I believe what you want is doable by creating a "personal book." Are you familiar with that tool? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2978
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 1 2017 8:22 PM

Paul Graefe:
I'd like to create a kind of database file in Logos that would be essentially a digital file cabinet--something that I can add searchable notes to (like quotes I come across or ideas I want to save for future use). it would be something like a topical index, but one I could edit as needed.

Hi Paul, 

Another idea is to create folders in Favorites arranged alphabetically then tag your notes and clippings (which are then searchable) and add them to sub folders you create as needed.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 2978
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 1 2017 8:42 PM

In addition you may find this section of Logos Help profitable reading. Although, I confess I have found this to be intimidating and therefor have steered clear of using it, you may be more comfortable with it or more adventurous than I and come to find it useful. It is a subject you should familiarize yourself with nevertheless. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 2353
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 2 2017 7:21 AM

Beloved:

Hi Paul, 

Another idea is to create folders in Favorites arranged alphabetically then tag your notes and clippings (which are then searchable) and add them to sub folders you create as needed.

I had the same idea as "Beloved" but also do a textual tree in my Favorites Folder

Textual Studies

• Old Testament
  • New Testament
    • Matthew
    • Mark
    • Luke
    • John
      • John 1
      • John 2
      • John 3
        • John 3:1-16
          • Sermon file from 2 Sept 2017
          • Note file from Eulogy of Grandpa George
          • Clippings file from Research paper for Gospel of John MTS  

The 3 links at the most detailed level may also appear in various topical Trees (i.e. Questions asked Jesus, Second Birth, Funerals, Sotierology, etc.)

An advantage is that I don't have to prepare the whole tree before I can begin--I could build out the Branch for John 3 today, next Tuesday I could add a branch for a discipleship meeting discussion Psalm 119, in 3 years I could add in a branch for Ephesians, etc.

My understanding is that Favorites does not actually contain a copy of the Note file or clipping file, but a link to the original document. So if I go back in 3 months and edit my original document, then those edits would appear in all of the locations where that document is linked in the Favorites folders.

Here is an example of how a note attached to a highlight shows up in a document link in a topical favorite.

You can also see in the pic an example of 2 sermons and a clippings Favorite from Eph 2:1-10 nested into a Textual Tree.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 4
Paul Graefe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 3 2017 6:30 PM

Beloved,

Thanks very much for your response to my question. I think this is an excellent solution for what I'm trying to accomplish. I found a couple videos on using the folders system and that really looks doable. 

I really appreciate your quick response! I honestly hadn't expected anyone to get back to me that quickly and was pleasantly surprised to find both your posts so shortly after my initial post. That coupled with the fact that you provided such excellent suggestions was a real blessing.

Thanks and God bless!

Paul

Posts 4
Paul Graefe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 3 2017 6:45 PM

Alabama,

I was not aware of this feature! This is a really great. I checked out some Logos videos on using the Personal Book and will definitely be incorporating it into some of my projects. Thanks very much for sharing this with me.

God bless,

Paul

Posts 4
Paul Graefe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 3 2017 6:58 PM

David,

Thanks for the added detail! I've actually been working on a folder hierarchy, but hadn't thought to include a passage component (more just topics). But looking at your arrangement, I think I'll include that as well. 

Thanks for sharing and especially for the screen shot. That actually helped quite a bit--helping me take it from the conceptual to the practical, so to speak. I appreciate your time and effort!

God bless,

Paul

Posts 2123
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 4 2017 12:34 AM

Paul Graefe:

This may not be completely doable (at least as I envision it), but I'd like to create a kind of database file in Logos that would be essentially a digital file cabinet--something that I can add searchable notes to (like quotes I come across or ideas I want to save for future use). it would be something like a topical index, but one I could edit as needed.

I use a note file for annotating passages of scripture; this would be more for general ideas not necessarily related to a specific passage. For example, I would have an entry for "Feasts" with sub-entries for The Feast of Unleavened Bread, The Feast of Tabernacles, Passover, etc. Under these I would add information I find relating to each feast.

One last feature--if possible--would be to include links to resources in Logos and also to other entries within the same database. So in addition to the feast entry "Passover," which might focus on the edible aspects of the feast, I might also have "Passover" as a primary heading which would include thoughts and resources relating to the theological aspects of it.

I hope I'm describing this adequately. Basically, I have numerous notes, post-its, emails, and other types of data collectors that I would like to compile into a single, integrated resource inside Logos. Does that sound doable? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

God bless,

Paul Graefe
Minister
Church of Christ of Folsom

It sounds like our next generation notes system is what you're looking for. You can learn more about it in this thread.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS