Buyers remorse (shudder)

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 18 2017 3:27 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/37365/niv-application-commentary-bundle

Hi, I just bought this via Logos with a student discount and as part of Logos Baptist Bronze bundled with 7.x full feature set.  Late to the party I know but I also let my Logos Now lapse on purpose too.

I have buyers remorse.  Is this Application Commentary bundle available more cheaply elsewhere you think?  Was I wrong to assemble a bundle with my expiring in two days student discount.

I am stunned it came to over 1K that I am spanning out over 15 months to pay for.  I also added IVP missing OT dictionaries.

I am thinking of ditching the above linked product, asking for a refund, as it added nearly $600 for me personally.  Keep or ditch as it can be bought in hard copy or online elsewhere more cheaply please?

Thanks for your help.

Joshua in Rhode Island...stunned at what I just agreed to and having buyers remorse now.

Posts 3195
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 3:32 PM

If you are finding yourself this distressed- return it- IMMEDIATELY.

Posts 9109
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 3:54 PM

Josh,

There are better ways to spend your money in Logos than the NIVAC. The NT books are not very helpful. A number of the OT volumes are very good and worth having. If I were you, I'd hope for a sale on the individual volumes and pick the better ones up then. Another option would be to buy just the OT set now while you have the discount. That one is worth the price.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 4:14 PM

Don't allow studying the Word become a curse by keeping a resource that you can return. Rethink the deals and rework the finances so that it remains a blessing. This is kind of a hard thing to say, but I can easily see how a blessing can become a curse. Be blessed. :-)

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 4:27 PM

If you don't have peace about it return it

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 6601
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 5:14 PM

Return it at once! Wait for a better sale. The set is good, but uneven and repetive at times. I picked it up during the $7.99 sale a good while ago. The sale came back at $9.99. Still not bad, so I'd wait if I were you. Academic discount is not the only good discount. 

Personally, I got the WBC for $600, but a few months later it came out on sale for $399. I don't regret buying it, but I wish I would've waited and use the difference money on other resources.

Good discounts will come along if you are patience, but for now, it'd be wiser to save your money.

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 6601
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 5:40 PM

As good as Accordance sale on NICOT/NT is, I'd really like that set in Logos, but since it's not a MUST now, I'll keep waiting for a better sale in Logos.

DAL

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 9:11 PM

Wow thanks for all your kind gracious wise comments and posts.  I am rethinking the 600 dollar purchase.  Might get rid of that part of it and maybe go with just OT as suggested or buy as needed over time.  Blessings and thanks everyone.

Posts 6601
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 9:21 PM

Check Accordance new Tuesday deal hint, hint! 😉 You have a week to decide 👍

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 18 2017 11:58 PM

....I looked and thought I saw a huge Accordance deal...minutes later it was gone.  Unbelievable.  Where do I go to get the best deal on this set please?  I have to assume Logos will not be pleased if we put the link here....but I did see it for hundreds less and then I changed screens and the cost was different....seriously....and I know I am writing this at 3 am in the morning (long story but I was taking an online test for a job I thought I wanted...wrong!) but I am not that far gone or dreaming...the cost was hundreds less and then somehow went back up.

Where does one see the best deal on the NIVAC in Accordance and is it truly hundreds less than Logos?  This was NOT where I went either.

https://zondervanacademic.com/blog/nivac-software-sale-just-8-dollars/

this made my heart stop but the link is ancient and NOT up to date.  

O my goodness...I found it again.  (LINK EDITED LATER BY ME JOSHUA AND DELETED TO COMPLY WITH FORUM RULES)

I think I am going round the bend....off to bed for me.

Posts 6601
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 12:27 AM

Their website's home page has the deals. $9.90 each for a week starting today.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 12:30 AM

That means Logos charged me over $400 more.  I am definitely going to rethink and reconsider this.  Nice to see I am not the only one up at his hour.  It is 330 am in Rhode Island.  My wife came to ask if I fell asleep at my desk.  Thanks DAL.  Sweet dreams of savings and acquired and shared Bible knowledge.

Posts 621
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 2:29 AM

If you decide to return them, make sure you keep/re-buy the one on Esther by Karen Jobes. It's fantastic.

Posts 3267
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 6:30 AM

JoshInRI:
Where does one see the best deal on the NIVAC in Accordance and is it truly hundreds less than Logos?

Logos has a 30% off sale, and Accordance has a 65% off sale. Right now, it's less expensive there.

There have been times when Logos has a 65% off sale, and it is less expensive here.

Regardless of which software you buy, there will be times when another company's price will be better than your company's price.

Don't be surprised that 30% off isn't a good deal, compared to past/future Logos deals. The point is that if you must have any resource now, you will generally pay more, but if the resource isn't immediately necessary, you will generally get it for less down the road. (Unless of course you want to buy that resource from whoever sells it for less at present, and having to use three different bible software programs).

Posts 2829
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 7:01 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

Don't allow studying the Word become a curse by keeping a resource that you can return. Rethink the deals and rework the finances so that it remains a blessing. This is kind of a hard thing to say, but I can easily see how a blessing can become a curse. Be blessed. :-)

Hard to argue with that good advice.  Logos will be a blessing to you all your ministry.  But as with any book seller, know what books you really want, and buy those.  My favorite commentary set is the New International OT/NT, but it is too expensive for most to start building a library with it.  One of the best values for the dollar, in my opinion, is the Tyndale Commentary series.  And there are many others.

I have built my Logos library over about 25 years of buying good books when I could afford them.  Time and careful choices have been my friends.  Even now my Logos library is not nearly as big as many users.  However, over the decades I have built a library of over 7500 resources including many of the best commentaries and language tools available, not to mention the Fathers of the Church.  I tried to buy my resources when they were on sale and a bargain.  Patience, time, and sales are all on your side.  

Furthermore, Faithlife is a great company to do business with.  They make it easy for you to deal with buyer's remorse and develop a strategy for acquiring what you really need.  Buyer's remorse is not problem here.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 10338
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 7:03 AM

For anyone a bit surprised at the Accordance advertising, Logos got bought out by the Florida company last week during the hurricane. Spokane was bought out a few years back by Zondervan.

Wharever happened to Silent Sam, anyway?

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 7:06 AM

Generally, it seems best to purchase a whole set only if:

1. You know most of the set is worth it.
  2. The deal is really good, of the kind that is rare, and perhaps might not occur again or if it does probably in too distant a future.
  3. You need it or it will get you really good dynamic pricing on something greater you need.
  4. You cannot get something better with that money.

I would join others in the opinion that the current deal is nice but not great. I am not sure whether the series as a whole is that good even though some individual volumes certainly are.

Posts 6601
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 8:25 AM

I just got the ZECOT 3 volumes at an introductory price of $34 and change and the John volume I'm missing for $19 and change. Not bad! I'd still like to see NICOT/NT in Logos at more than a measly 30% off. Since it is not a must for me, I'm gonna keep waiting and if by the time Accordance offers the set on sale again Logos is still not offering a good deal I might have to give my $599 to Accordance to help them stay in business.

DAL

Posts 6601
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 8:27 AM

Denise:

For anyone a bit surprised at the Accordance advertising, Logos got bought out by the Florida company last week during the hurricane. Spokane was bought out a few years back by Zondervan.

Wharever happened to Silent Sam, anyway?

I know this is a joke, because Accordance doesn't have the money to buy out Logos. 😁😜

DAL

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 9:29 AM

Ryan:
If you decide to return them, make sure you keep/re-buy the one on Esther by Karen Jobes. It's fantastic.

Enns on Exodus, Block on Deuteronomy, Oswalt on Isaiah, Jobes on Esther, Provan on Ecclesiastes and Song of Solomon, Boda on Haggai and Zechariah, Garland on Mark, Bock on Luke, Snodgrass on Ephesians, and Moo on 2 Peter and Jude.

IMO, these are the keepers.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS