Logos 8 Wishlist

Page 13 of 25 (495 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »
This post has 494 Replies | 31 Followers

Posts 21635
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 22 2018 6:33 AM

Kiyah:

Make notes documents and clippings documents one thing.

This may have already been suggested but I think clipping documents and notes documents should be one thing to which you can add clippings and manually add free-standing notes. I know I can add notes to the bottom of a clipping, but sometimes I just want to add a note that has nothing to do with any of the clippings I may have added.

With the new Notes / Clipping functionality Logos are working on - see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/143660/905035.aspx#905035 and elsewhere for some context- I think the difference between Notes and Clippings is going to effectively disappear

You can get a sense for how this tool will work on the web app - app.logos.com - which is where the development started. It is not fully featured yet - and notes do not sync between desktop environment and the web environment yet but I think this should give you what you are looking for when it is fully developed and rolled out.

Posts 633
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 22 2018 8:42 PM

Graham Criddle:

With the new Notes / Clipping functionality Logos are working on - see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/143660/905035.aspx#905035 and elsewhere for some context- I think the difference between Notes and Clippings is going to effectively disappear

You can get a sense for how this tool will work on the web app - app.logos.com - which is where the development started. It is not fully featured yet - and notes do not sync between desktop environment and the web environment yet but I think this should give you what you are looking for when it is fully developed and rolled out.

Cool, good to know. Thanks for the info!

Posts 85
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 24 2018 1:57 PM

Hi Phil,

Here are 3 areas I would like to see change in version 8.

1. As many others have already mentioned Touch support for the desktop application.  My primary device that I carry with me everywhere is an 8 inch Windows 10 tablet (HP Pro Tablet 608 G1).  The touch in the current version works well for me in most scenarios but it is still only half-baked when you wouldn't expect it to be.  Everything touch enabled in version 8 would be great.

2. In regards to running on an 8 inch tablet with a large library (about 68gb footprint on an 128gb hard drive) I regurlary run into re-indexing issues due to space constraints.  Because I'm primarily using the tablet for reading and light study I don't need all of my resources installed locally and constantly being updated and reindexed with every update.  I would therefore like to propose a Limited Storage Mode for the desktop app for scenarios like my own.  The Limited Storage Mode would treat resources similarly to the way they are handled with iOS devices in that resources are all available but not all stored locally by default.  I would have to instruct a resource to download locally (just like the iOS resources) in order to cache it on my local drive.  I realize I'm probably in the minority for having such a large library but this issue actually keeps me from buying more resources since at some point my tablet will become unusable due to the size of my library growing beyond capacity.  I was hoping with the proliferation of smaller form windows tablets a few years back that they would by now offer tablets with more RAM and higher capacity storage.  Quite the opposite has happened though and most OEM's seem to have pulled back from this market and capacity has actually shrunk for the most part.  Anyway, the bottom line is it would be nice to have a Limited Storage Mode for the desktop app so it could "fit" on practically any Windows device.  I know there is an option to hide resources but that would hide them from every device I own and would be annoying when I'm studying with Logos on my power desktop with "unlimited resources."

3. Lastly I would hope that the desktop app UI be modernized, simplified and allow for customization.  Simplification could be handled by providing a more configurable settings page so that features that are seldom used except in more academic scenarios could only be turned on when needed.  The UI itself seems a little long in the tooth, though in some areas it has a more modern feel.  Those inconsistencies also show up as previously mentioned about the touch interface.  It would be nice to have every interaction with the UI behave in a well thought out and consistent manner.  As far as customization I don't have any suggestions per se other than perhaps giving us a little more control over context menus, main menu items, and toolbars and sorting.

All that being said the Logos desktop app in it's current version is truly a well designed, powerful and helpful app for research and studying God's word when you invest the time to learn it's features.  It took me a while but it was well worth the time.

Thank you Logos for your commitment to helping us in our endeavor to "rightly divide the word of truth."

Sincerely,

William

Posts 7920
LogosEmployee

William Walker:
1. As many others have already mentioned Touch support for the desktop application.

We'll post any news about improvements to touch support to this suggestion: https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/619605-focus-on-tablet-and-touchscreen-features 

William Walker:
2. In regards to running on an 8 inch tablet with a large library (about 68gb footprint on an 128gb hard drive) I regurlary run into re-indexing issues due to space constraints.

Updates will be posted here: https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/5751660-install-only-selected-resources-to-save-disk-space 

Posts 2
Jit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 24 2018 6:26 PM

Mobile ed videos does not properly download to my macbook (model from last year). I wish that the interface of the mobile ed on the macbook would be similar to that in my ipad- there is clear indication if the videos are downloaded properly.

Quite a hassle to travel with both devices or just with my macbook to discover the videos are not downloaded properly and need a wifi . Or with my iPad and can't access the text and videos at the same time. 

Thanks,

Jit

Posts 85
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 24 2018 8:24 PM

Thank you for the links Bradley!

Posts 2
James Walraven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 8:40 PM

Wish: the return of full color customization.  I am a legally blind pastor who has been on Logos 3 for a very long time.  I went to upgrade (at long last) to Logos 7 today, but contrary to what I was told, discovered that while the color of books can still be adjusted, most of the other screens are now hard coded black text on white background.  Unfortunately, any significant white background will cause my eyes to fatigue in about 5 minutes.  While I was thankful for the refund, sadly, for me, the current version of Logos software is quite unusable.  As long as my very old secondary XP computer functions I will have Logos, but when it dies, that will be that (newer computer is Windows 7).

Posts 1788
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 10:43 PM

James Walraven:

Wish: the return of full color customization.  I am a legally blind pastor who has been on Logos 3 for a very long time.  I went to upgrade (at long last) to Logos 7 today, but contrary to what I was told, discovered that while the color of books can still be adjusted, most of the other screens are now hard coded black text on white background.  Unfortunately, any significant white background will cause my eyes to fatigue in about 5 minutes.  While I was thankful for the refund, sadly, for me, the current version of Logos software is quite unusable.  As long as my very old secondary XP computer functions I will have Logos, but when it dies, that will be that (newer computer is Windows 7).

James, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. I'm sorry Logos 7 wasn't usable for you. Can you spell out in a little more detail exactly what you'd need to find Logos usable? A global setting to change the text color and the background color for all panels/screens? Anything else? What color combinations do you prefer?

Posts 17823
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 11:53 PM

Thread => Low light or night modes? includes User Voice links to a number of color combination suggestions. Black background with white (or colored text, especially yellow) has better contrast for reading. Gray on gray can be cool looking while difficult to read.

Diabetic Retinopathy is one form of blindness => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_retinopathy (that is affecting one of my friends so Logos has become unusable)

Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD) is another form of blindness => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macular_degeneration

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1874
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 12:19 AM

Roger Duke:

Add a master link - others have called it a master sync.

Yes, please add the ability to designate any (and any number of) resources in a link-set as a slave, as well as the ability to set a single resource as the master (effectively making all others 'slaves'). Any resource would have 3 values Master/Default/Slave.

Posts 2
James Walraven | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 8:30 AM

Phil, thank you for your response.  I would think that a global setting to change text and background color for all panels/screens would work (images/pictures remaining unchanged is something I can live with as they are not that common in the texts).  The color scheme that I prefer is a light green (custom color) on a black background.  Bright colors in general - yellow, orange, red, etc., do not work for me as excessive brightness is the main display issue (along with too tiny fonts).  That is also why I go the custom route in Windows 7 under the classic shell - the inverted color options Microsoft offered still had too many bright colors after inversion.

I also realize Logos, and companies in general, are in a difficult spot.  There are so many different visual impairments and as they impact each person differently it is difficult to take them all into account (coding does cost $).  It also does not help that since XP, Microsoft has been gradually removing the excellent features and flexibility they used to offer for dealing with visual impairments.  Of note, for those who are totally blind, Windows 10 is reported to be the poorest o/s they have produced.

Posts 42
RHC | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 10:01 AM

I’m late in responding, but could you please consider these features?

1. for word lists, have a built-in feature to choose words by frequency within the entire OT/NT and also within individual passages (e.g., include only words which occur between 1 and 10 times in Matthew 1)

2. for word lists, be able to have lemmas listed with their Greek/Hebrew root, with audio for the root as well. And also be able to sort the Word List in way that lists each root with their corresponding cognate lemmas.

3. be able to send Greek/Hebrew concordance results to a Word List, so we can have a list of roots in a certain passage and all their cognate lemmas, plus the audio for the roots and lemmas.

4. be able to fully print/export Greek/Hebrew condordance results, with all the lemmas and roots included.

5. be able to select a word from the concordance search results and from a Bible Word Study and send it directly to a Word List, along with its audio.

6. in concordance, be able to click a dot next to a Greek/Hebrew word to hear its pronunciation, so that clicking on the word still opens up the Bible Word Study window  

7. be able to save exact concordance searches, since saving concordance as a layout doesn’t save all the search details.

8.  Modern Greek pronunciation for the Read-aloud Greek NT, and Modern Native Hebrew Pronunciation for the Hebrew OT, with the option to replay/repeat the audio for individual verses (also with variable speed options).

9. have a tagged modern German Bible and tagged modern French Bible that parses all the German and French words. It would be helpful for people who are learning the languages.

I really appreciate the Word List, Concordance, Bible Word Study, and audio features, thanks for looking at these requests.

Posts 958
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 11:07 AM

Please make the Morph Query Builder part of the standard base packages, rather than in the Logos Now subscription. It should be at least in Logos Gold and higher, since it is an important tool for studying the Bible in Greek and Hebrew.

Posts 958
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 11:44 AM

Other requests:

1. When searching on a Greek or Hebrew word from an English Bible, highlight the entire phrase that is translated by this word in the search results list. It does this properly if you add a second copy of the same English Bible to the search results and it does this properly when you click on an English word with the Interlinear Ribbon on. For example, a search on καταβαίνω should highlight "comes down", not just the single word "comes".

2. Bring back the Visual Search from Logos Libronix 3!!! It was great that you could use this with any Bible and you could force agreement and non-agreement of morphological features. This is much easier to comprehend and set up than the Syntax search.

3. For sentence diagramming, I would like the Text Flow Diagram to allow splitting the sentence and moving part of the sentence out of order. This can be done with a Line Diagram, but it is trickier to set up and overkill when you want to work with phrases or clauses, rather than individual words. In the following example, "who was with me" and "though he was a Greek" need to be removed from the sentence and moved below the main clause, to show that they modify "Titus". The elipses (three dots) indicates something is removed. This is a Line Diagram, but I want to be able to do with a Text Flow Diagram.

Posts 276
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 11:52 AM

A complete set or two of Greek NT sentence diagrams (not just the ability to diagram)

Posts 958
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 12:01 PM

As a Greek teacher, I have long wished that there was the ability to turn on an "examination mode" in Logos that would disable parsing and looking up words in lexicons. This would sort of be like a kiosk in the library that only allows using the web browser to access the library catalog and the rest of Windows features and other websites are disabled.

My dream would be to allow specifying that only Greek or Hebrew words that appear less than a selectable number of times could be looked up in a lexicon. Then an exam in Greek could allow them to look up words that they do not know, but not other words. Limiting parsing to only unfamiliar forms would be awesome, but more difficult to implement. For example, there could be a list of morphological features that could be checked off to be displayed in parsing.

But even if we could just disable parsing and word lookup it would allow students to take a biblical language exam without requiring that they have a printed Greek New Testament or Hebrew Bible. Since we require Logos at our seminary, most of our students do not even have printed Greek and Hebrew Bibles.

In the best of all worlds, Faithlife would once again allow installation of Logos on school computer labs as they did for Libronix. In that scenario, the professor could turn off certain features for all students through something like the Windows Group Policies on a network.

It would be harder to implement one individual computers. But perhaps the professor could share a layout with students and when they open the layout it would only allow opening books that are already in the layout (chosen by the professor) and only the Logos context menus selected by the professor would be available. They could not open other books without changing to a different layout.

I know this is a big stretch and would not interest most people, but if you don't ask you won't receive! It is worth brainstorming about how Logos could better be used for language instruction.

Posts 958
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 12:03 PM

I would also like verse lists to highlight the search terms, just as the original searches did. Perhaps the display of this could be turned on as an option.

Posts 147
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 10:40 PM

William Walker:

3. Lastly I would hope that the desktop app UI be modernized, simplified and allow for customization.  Simplification could be handled by providing a more configurable settings page so that features that are seldom used except in more academic scenarios could only be turned on when needed.  The UI itself seems a little long in the tooth, though in some areas it has a more modern feel.  Those inconsistencies also show up as previously mentioned about the touch interface.  It would be nice to have every interaction with the UI behave in a well thought out and consistent manner.  As far as customization I don't have any suggestions per se other than perhaps giving us a little more control over context menus, main menu items, and toolbars and sorting.

Thanks for suggesting this William.  I agree that a simplified, customizable UI is urgently needed. 

I would very much like to see a single mouse click option which would hide the resource panel toolbar and other panel elements on either side of it.  This would increase reading space, eliminate toolbar clutter, and hide any distracting toolbar button while maintaining the functionality of the toolbar and other hidden panel elements only one click away.

I also believe an option is needed to individually hide any resource panel toolbar button which is visually distracting, seldom used, or routinely accessed through another means such as a context menu or the resource panel menu. 

An example of a visually distracting toolbar button in my opinion is the Multiview Resources button which was so distracting to my eyes as I tried to focus on resource text below it that I had to return the Full Feature Set.

The following link is to a reply I previously submitted to this thread reflecting several specific UI customization requests (including but not limited to the two mentioned above). https://community.logos.com/forums/p/148421/927928.aspx#927928

Posts 17823
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 12:32 PM

Just one more wishlist item, which is a follow-up to thread => Sentence Diagram - Text Flow Settings with New UserVoice Suggestion => Sentence Diagramming: Bible Text Only

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 686
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 1:37 PM

Speed. Despite what my profile says below, I am now on a Macbook Pro (2014) with plenty of power. Everything is mostly instant now, but...

The homepage takes so long to populate. It is so frustrating. Another one is trying to pull up the verse of the day graphic.

Resize bug. This has been a known issue for years on Mac and nothing. When I restart my computer, and then reopen Logos, it is either a tiny square, or half off the screen to the side. Smart guys like you should have that figured out by now! Big Smile

Resource hiding. Since I have bought packages along the way, my library is cluttered up with Monographs. I have no use for them in the program. BUT... some of them look interesting enough to read and I would like to read them in Faithlife Ebooks. But if I hide them in Logos desktop, they are gone there too.

Similarly, I would like to hide everything except Bibles and Monographs in Faithlife Ebooks. It seems like that would have to be done online on a special page but you fellas can figure that out!

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Page 13 of 25 (495 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last » | RSS