Why is everyone making such a big deal about Catena Aurea? (Or "what's in it for me?")

Page 3 of 5 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 83 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:35 PM

Rosie Perera:

Cool! It seems to have jumped up 10% now since yesterday, thanks to the blog post. Now as more people around the globe log on to Logos and see their home page and notice it, more orders should be coming in within the next few hours...

Thank you, Rick, for noticing my forum post and asking if you could put it on the blog! Smile

And now for another Community Pricing plug. Compendium of Christian Theology, 2nd ed., by William Burt Pope (3 Vols.) is very close to getting enough interest to go into production. Currently, it looks like it will go for only $10. This is one of the best systematic theologies available from a Wesleyan perspective.

You can bid on it at: http://www.logos.com/communitypricing/details/5664.

Posts 1476
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:35 PM

Rosie Perera:
Thank you, Rick, for noticing my forum post and asking if you could put it on the blog!

Thank you, Rosie, for writing a compelling post that we could take to the blog and highlight both Community Pricing and the Catena Aurea!

It's really close now — let's hope it gets over soon, and then y'all hopefully get even more savings before it hits pre-pub!

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 50
Maclen4 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:43 PM

Rosie,

Not to be an idiot here, but do you know why when I click on the links it tries to open them in Logos 3.  Is there a way to make this happen in Logos 4?

Thanks,

Russell

Posts 19699
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:47 PM

Maclen 4:

Not to be an idiot here, but do you know why when I click on the links it tries to open them in Logos 3.  Is there a way to make this happen in Logos 4?

You're not an idiot. That is a common problem people have been having after reinstalling Libronix (Logos 3) after having already installed Logos 4. In that case, Logos 3 hijacks the libronixdls protocol back again. To fix it, see the instructions here: http://wiki.logos.com/Hyperlinks#Problem.3a_Libronix_DLS_executes_the_protocol_instead_of_Logos_4

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:02 PM

Rosie, I NEVER knew I had the Oxford Dictionary of the CC, lol.  I have been looking up stuff in my hardcopy all this time.  If nothing else, this post helped me discover that!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1764
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:05 PM

Yes, Dan, the ODCC is a great resource.

I didn't get it when I bought the Scholar's Lib in Logos 3, so it was one of the reasons I updated to the Logos 4 Scholars Lib.

Posts 1764
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:12 PM

Rosie Perera:
Whew! That was hard work. It took me a couple of hours to create that post...

You must be satisfied that it was worth the effort, Rosie.:-)

I've jumped in and bid as well: hadn't realized it was significantly patristic content rather than merely Aquinas' comments.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:12 PM

Allen Browne:

Yes, Dan, the ODCC is a great resource.

I didn't get it when I bought the Scholar's Lib in Logos 3, so it was one of the reasons I updated to the Logos 4 Scholars Lib.

Allen, and the "funny" thing is that I thought that I had read it was no longer available in Logos!  I have a synaptic problem in my cerebral cortex. . . Tongue Tied

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 19699
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:39 PM

Allen Browne:

Rosie Perera:
Whew! That was hard work. It took me a couple of hours to create that post...

You must be satisfied that it was worth the effort, Rosie.:-)

I've jumped in and bid as well: hadn't realized it was significantly patristic content rather than merely Aquinas' comments.

Yes, I'm very pleased. Looks like it's now gone up to about 95%!

Aquinas merely arranged the commentary excerpts from the patristic authors in a logical sequence, and perhaps did some editing of content. You can get an idea of the entire content though not nicely laid out here. You can see scanned versions of some of the volumes on Google Books: Mark, Luke, John.

Here's how Aquinas's edition is laid out. Each section starts with a verse (or verses) of Scripture, followed by the comments by the patristic authors (each quote leading off with the author's name). Aquinas wrote short prefaces for each of the gospels, and might occasionally supply some linking text to make the quotes from patristic commentaries flow in a "chain," but not that I've noticed in the pages I've perused. It's basically all from the Church Fathers. Citation sources are in the margins. I'm sure the Logos tagged version is going to be very nice, with links to the original sources if we have them in our library.

Posts 50
Maclen4 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:46 PM

Rosie,

Thanks....again.

I am consistently impressed with your knowledge of Logos...and the forums...and the Wiki.  I can always count on you to either have the answer or provide a link to others who do.

I hope Logos knows what a valuable asset they have in you.

Once again, thanks.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 5:08 AM

I am an early bidder at $40 so I am SO excited it is close! Come on everyone!!!!! This will be a GREAT deal at $20!

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 8:42 AM

Its touching at $20, close at $18 and I believe there is a real shot at $16 for this package.  What an awesome deal.  It's so close, I believe that next Friday, April 16th, 2010 will be the last day at the rate bids are coming/changing.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:06 AM

just upped my bid to $20.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:11 AM

I have been in since the beginning - hope it goes soon.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 90
Chris Hulshof | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 2:23 PM

First time bidding in community pricing.... $24.  It's getting closer.

"If heaven ain't a gift I ain't gettin' in." - Lecrae Moore

Posts 1570
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 2:25 PM

Yes! Cake Thanks to Chris Hulshof!

Posts 306
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 2:36 PM

It made it!

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 2:55 PM

Wahoo! Finally!  YAY!!!!!

Posts 57
Jim Carlile | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 2:58 PM

Many thanks for your work on this. I've always wanted to get the "Ancient Christian Commentary" but other purchases have taken priority.

I put a bid for $20 and nothing happened. I changed it to $24 and immediately got a notice that The project closes 4/16/2010 at $20. PTL.

Posts 28007
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 5:36 PM

Dominick Sela:

Wahoo! Finally!  YAY!!!!!

Great effort from everybody, especially Rosie  (now where is that $20 note....)

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 3 of 5 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS