Question: How to force an update of resources when metadata changes (or maybe this is a Suggestion??)

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 19701
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 7 2010 6:07 PM

I noticed that my College Press NIV Commentary: Nahum-Malachi is missing its Series metadata. I went to the wiki to report it and found that, not only had it already been reported, but it has apparently already been fixed by Logos. But I don't have that fix. I tried "update resources" and got "No updates were found."

I seem to recall the metadata is stored elsewhere. How can I force an update of that? It should be possible within the Logos UI, but if it isn't, I'm going to request that they add that feature, or else make it happen automatically whenever "update resources" is run. Most people (myself included) think of the metadata as being part of the resource and would expect it to be updated when they update resources.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 4:11 AM

Metadata is stored in this folder C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\Updates

You could try renaming/deleting it to force Logos to re-download it.

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 4:15 AM

Seems to me that Logos should really update metadata automatically ... does it update metadata when downloading new/modified resources for example (i.e. metadata for books other than those being downloaded)?

If it isn't updating metadata, maybe should be reported as a bug?!

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 19701
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 4:39 AM

Kevin Becker:

Metadata is stored in this folder C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\Updates

The folder name is puzzling. Is that a supplemental place for updated metadata to be stored until such time as the resource it is associated with gets updated?

Kevin Becker:

You could try renaming/deleting it to force Logos to re-download it.

I could do that, but should Joe or Jane average user need to do that whenever metadata changes? Will they even know that metadata has changed? Shouldn't Logos push new metadata out to the users automatically (or have it come when they type "update resources" if they've got Automatically Download Updates set to no)?

Posts 19701
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 4:53 AM

Looks like this problem has been raised before (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/9971.aspx) and it seems it hasn't yet been reported as a bug but should be. I will do so.

OK, here it is on the wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_Metadata_updates_not_getting_downloaded

Posts 28007
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 6:24 AM

Rosie Perera:
Looks like this problem has been raised before (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/9971.aspx) and it seems it hasn't yet been reported as a bug but should be. I will do so.

It was reported 26 Jan & confirmed on March 2 - see http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_Metadata_is_not_being_sync%27d_when_it_should

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 6:59 AM

I've added this thread to the open case.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:04 AM

I deleted my metadata.db and let it reload, and the series info is still not there. It must not have been fixed yet

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:07 AM

Dominick Sela:
I deleted my metadata.db and let it reload, and the series info is still not there. It must not have been fixed yet

Or it's been fixed internally at Logos (that's why they've changed the Wiki), but not pushed to the download servers yet.

Posts 19701
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:03 PM

Bump.

Melissa, what's the status of this bug? It's been open for a long time and it's really irritating. One still cannot force an update of metadata using "update resources." I still don't have series data for the Nahum-Malachi volume of the College Press NIV Commentary series after months during which I've gotten all kinds of other updates and done "update resources" numerous times. And I know the Series has been fixed in the metadata. It is listed in the "Corrections addressed by Logos" section of http://wiki.logos.com/Metadata_correction_proposals. It should have updated automatically for me, or I should have at least been able to force it to update by running "update resources." I haven't gone through and checked whether I've gotten any of the other metadata fixes, but I suspect there's a problem in the mechanism.

Here's another thread started by another user who has potentially run into the same problem: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/20598.aspx

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 7:57 AM

I think these two threads also exhibit the same bug/problem:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/20508.aspx

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/9971.aspx

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 8:19 AM

Can someone point me to a link on the definition and use of "metadata"? I seem to remember "learning" about it at Camp Logos about 5 years ago, with ref. to limiting searches.  I scanned the wiki and didn't find a useful definition.

Thanks.

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 8:33 AM

Rosie Perera:
Melissa, what's the status of this bug? It's been open for a long time and it's really irritating. One still cannot force an update of metadata using "update resources." I still don't have series data for the Nahum-Malachi volume of the College Press NIV Commentary series after months during which I've gotten all kinds of other updates and done "update resources" numerous times. And I know the Series has been fixed in the metadata. It is listed in the "Corrections addressed by Logos" section of http://wiki.logos.com/Metadata_correction_proposals. It should have updated automatically for me, or I should have at least been able to force it to update by running "update resources." I haven't gone through and checked whether I've gotten any of the other metadata fixes, but I suspect there's a problem in the mechanism.

Rosie, I don't see anything on that page that says it has been fixed - it says "Logos will update these when corrections are published". Am I reading it properly?

Also, I checked my metadata.db and Metadata.db-journal files, both are July 29, 2010 date! And my Nahum-Malachi series tag is still  not correct either. So I don't think this fix has actually rolled out, vs. there being a problem getting metadata updates.  Just my .02...

Posts 19701
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 2:16 PM

Steve:

Can someone point me to a link on the definition and use of "metadata"? I seem to remember "learning" about it at Camp Logos about 5 years ago, with ref. to limiting searches.  I scanned the wiki and didn't find a useful definition.

Steve, metadata is the internal "extra" information (besides the actual content of a resource) which helps us organize our library, etc. So all the fields that show up in columns of the library (title, author, publisher, series, publication date, etc.) constitute the metadata. (Meta comes from the Greek μετά which means with, after, beyond.) You don't need to really know about the existence and use of metadata. It's just there and quietly helps you go about your work when you open a book by its title, sort the library in grid view by clicking on a column header, etc. You only notice it when something goes wrong, like a series name is missing from a commentary set.

Oh, and you can also use the metadata to filter your library. If you want to just see books by a certain author, you can type, for example, author:Packer, into the Library's Find box. Most of the time its pretty obvious what field name to use (title, series, publisher) but there are a few of them which use a shorthand instead of the full name of the field (e.g., lang: for language, mytag: for "My Tags" and pubdate: for Publication Date). The full list of library filters can be found on the wiki page about the Library (http://wiki.logos.com/Library); here's the exact link to that section of the page.

Posts 19701
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 2:25 PM

Dominick Sela:
Rosie, I don't see anything on that page that says it has been fixed - it says "Logos will update these when corrections are published". Am I reading it properly?

Dominick, I have always taken that sentence to mean "Logos will update this section of the wiki page when corrections are published." In other words, if they've moved something from up above in the "corrections needed" section down to this section, it means they've made (and published or will be soon publishing -- like within a day) the corrections. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it. But why would they have fixed that metadata so long ago and still not pushed the fix out? The wiki history shows it was moved to the "Corrections addressed by Logos" section on March 23.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 2:33 PM

well like I said, my metadata was updated today, so I guess unless Logos tells us something we don't know if it's been updated or not; but appears it has not been?

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 3:11 PM

It looks like the problem here is not a bug with loading metadata but that we missed a step in publishing this particular update.

We now have better systems in place for confirming these corrections before they get moved to "addressed", so we'll avoid this kind of problem in the future.

The series on this volume will be fixed as soon as possible.

Posts 19701
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 3:24 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:

It looks like the problem here is not a bug with loading metadata but that we missed a step in publishing this particular update.

We now have better systems in place for confirming these corrections before they get moved to "addressed", so we'll avoid this kind of problem in the future.

Thanks, Louis!

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 4:49 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:

If its a series by series task to fix, the Tyndale Commentary series needs addressing as well - see here

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 19701
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 5:07 PM

David Gullick:

If its a series by series task to fix, the Tyndale Commentary series needs addressing as well - see here

David, I think in this case something else is going on rather than the metadata needing to be updated. I and several others have that 2 Peter and Jude volume marked with the correct metadata on our machines. Perhaps you just got an old version of the files somehow? I'd recommend talking to Customer Service about it.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS