Set highlight styles for particular words in Isaiah

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 28 2017 6:26 AM

In August, my through-the-Bible-in-365-days took me to Isaiah. Using an old study I had done on this book, I used a different highlighting style to mark 14 key words/phrases. For instance, "Judah" and "Israel" are marked throughout the book with a brown underline.

I know for certain that I did not read the whole book with these 14 words/phrases in mind and manually marked them as I read through the book. But it's hard to imagine I was smart enough to figure it out how to set up a highlighting style and pair it with a word that would then mark that word throughout Isaiah. I keep all my email from the forum and I don't see any email that answered this question. I've searched the forum General and Logos 7 for August but can't find the answer.

Now I want to use this method on other books of the Bible. Please pardon me if I'm bothering you with a question you've already answered.

I would like the software to take the highlighting style I select and take the word/phrase I select and then auto pair them throughout the whole book.

Posts 29042
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 7:19 AM

I don’t know anything about this reading plan,  but it sounds to me like you were talking about visual filters. Normal highlighting does not do what you suggest.  See if this wiki article helps: https://wiki.logos.com/Visual_Filter 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 19040
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 12:02 PM

Pat Browne:

For instance, "Judah" and "Israel" are marked throughout the book with a brown underline.

I know for certain that I did not read the whole book with these 14 words/phrases in mind and manually marked them as I read through the book. But it's hard to imagine I was smart enough to figure it out how to set up a highlighting style and pair it with a word that would then mark that word throughout Isaiah.

Logos includes four Highlighting Palettes that cannot be modified. Emphasis Markup has several underline styles:

Pat Browne:
I would like the software to take the highlighting style I select and take the word/phrase I select and then auto pair them throughout the whole book.

Visual Filter is a search whose results are highlighted using style you select. Right Click on a word in a Bible shows many search options: e.g. Lemma, Person, ...

One search idea for Judah is the original language Lemma:

<Lemma = lbs/he/יְהוּדָה>

Search results include several people named Judah along with tribe and kingdom.

Another search idea is Biblical Person tagging:

<Person Kingdom of Judah>

that finds many words tagged, including pronouns for Judah. For precept visual filter highlighting, prefer one image being inserted for a group of words (instead of one image for every word) so refined search:

<Person Kingdom of Judah> INTERSECTS (everyone,inhabitant,Jacob,Judah,men,nation,people,royal,their,them,thereof,they,ye,you)

Added two <Person Kingdom of Judah> searches to "Inductive - Precept: Person" visual filter. Screen shot shows part of highlighting palette, NLT with Precept visual filters enabled, and part of "Inductive - Precept: Person" visual filter.

Thread => more inductive symbols has discussion about Precept highlighting palettes and styles.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 8:08 AM

Thank you for your response to my question. I'm not asking about visual filters, because that shows or hides things that have already been marked. I'm having trouble with doing the marking. And you may be right. Perhaps there is no way to do highlighting in the manner I wish. 

Again, thanks 

Pat

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 8:24 AM

Thanks for your response. But I wasn't clear. Visual Filters show or hide things that have already been marked. I'm trying to figure out how to do a certain type of marking.

I want to take a certain book (for instance, Isaiah) and mark a word in this book, (for instance, Judah) and mark Judah with a wavy brown underline (a style I have set up). But instead of reading the whole book and marking Judah with the brown wavy underline every time I come to the word Judah, I'd like a way for the software to go thru Isaiah and give this highlight style for every instance of Judah.

I just did this in August. If I recall, there was a field for the word I wanted to mark (Judah) and to the right of that field was another field, where I selected the highlighting style (brown wavy line). But, if I am remembering correctly, I don't know how to get to that screen. 

But thank you for your reply. You included an answer to another question that I have had!

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 9:06 AM

I'm still doing research on this and discovered I have 7 items regarding Visual Filters from  my Documents Tab. One is called "Important Words in Isaiah." The Search parameters are All Bible Text, in Isaiah, in All Bibles for...  and then the results of this search are displayed. On the left is the word "Judah" and on the right is "Wavy Brown."  The same thing occurs for the other 13 key words I marked in Isaiah.

So, I've got the end results where the highlighting is involved. But other than the parameters listed above, I don't know how to bring in the highlighting.

I'll continue research on this.

Posts 2275
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 10:33 AM

Pat Browne:
The Search parameters are All Bible Text, in Isaiah, in All Bibles for...  and then the results of this search are displayed. On the left is the word "Judah" and on the right is "Wavy Brown."  

I'm sorry you are having troubles with this.  What you describe IS a visual filter - it searches for a condition (i.e. "Judah" within Isaiah) and applies a visual filter (i.e. "wavy brown")

The left half of the image below is where you create a visual filter (accessed through "Documents"), The right half is where you apply a visual filter (accessed by clicking on the 3 circles icon, then selecting the visual filters from the dropdown list).

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 19040
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 12:04 PM

Pat Browne:
So, I've got the end results where the highlighting is involved. But other than the parameters listed above, I don't know how to bring in the highlighting.

Please describe highlighting desires.

Visual Filter document has search terms: e.g. Judah on the left with selected Highlighting Style on the right. When a new search term is entered (in box below existing search items), right side shows Formatting until click in the box for scrollable list of styles so can select (click) desired highlighting.

Research could include Logos Wiki => Custom Highlighting: Orig Lang. (for Visual Filters)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29042
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 2:12 PM

Pat Browne:
Visual Filters show or hide things that have already been marked.

No. 

Pat Browne:
I'd like a way for the software to go thru Isaiah and give this highlight style for every instance of Judah.

That is what a visual filter is for! 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 6:26 PM

David, it's the middle step I'm missing. I did this only one time and it was just last month but I only remember the beginning and the end. When I look on my Document Tab for Visual Filters I can see this one. I see the search parameters (the beginning) and the boxes side by side with the word on the left and the highlighting style on the right (the end). .But it's the middle step I'm having trouble with - After I've set up my parameters, there's a blank space below for me to enter something (this is where your example entered "God"). If I enter the word "Judah," I'm asked if I mean the person, nation, etc. I select "nation." (However, Judah was only one of 14 words I set up. So I don't think "Judah" what I'm suppose to enter in the blank space). But if I do enter Judah in the blank space, I'm asked if I want the person, nation, etc. I select nation. Then it looks like the next step in your example is to select the visual filter to use. But when I select "My Palette" which is where brown wavy is located, nothing happens. By the time I've gotten to that last step, I'm already off track. I don't know what to do to bring up the screen where I can pair the word with the highlighting style. 

alabama 24 - Hi neighbor. I'm a Mississippi Miss (well, actually a Mrs but that didn't fit as well). Thanks for correcting me about visual filters. I was only thinking of them as something to use to show or hide things that had been previously created. But as I've gotten into this more and read the replies to my problem, I see that it's also how you create. 

Posts 19040
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 11:01 PM

Pat Browne:
I see the search parameters (the beginning) and the boxes side by side with the word on the left and the highlighting style on the right (the end). .But it's the middle step I'm having trouble with - After I've set up my parameters, there's a blank space below for me to enter something (this is where your example entered "God"). If I enter the word "Judah," I'm asked if I mean the person, nation, etc. I select "nation." (However, Judah was only one of 14 words I set up. So I don't think "Judah" what I'm suppose to enter in the blank space). But if I do enter Judah in the blank space, I'm asked if I want the person, nation, etc. I select nation.

Left side of Visual Filter document is a search, which can be previewed using search. For example, a Bible Search for Judah has many pop-up suggestions:

Hovering mouse over a search suggestion can have an information pop-up

For grins, compared search of nation of Judah (Place) with Judah

Noticed place search for the nation of Judah includes Isaiah 2:7 and 2:8 in results where "land" has been tagged with <Place Judah (kingdom)>

Search for Judah includes Isaiah 65:9 that does not have <Place Judah (kingdom)> tagging as the people of Judah are not a place in Isaiah 65:9 context.

Left side of Visual Filter document is the word/phrase search you want, which could be:

<Place Judah (kingdom)> OR (Judah INTERSECTS <Person Israelites>)

Search alternative is simply desired word:

Judah

Pat Browne:
Then it looks like the next step in your example is to select the visual filter to use. But when I select "My Palette" which is where brown wavy is located, nothing happens. By the time I've gotten to that last step, I'm already off track. I don't know what to do to bring up the screen where I can pair the word with the highlighting style. 

After entering your desired search on the left side, please click triangle on right side for pop-up of Highlighting Styles so you can select (click) search result appearance:

Visual Filter Formatting shows available Highlighting Styles. Order is the Highlighting Palettes (alphabetical after four default profiles) with Styles in alphabetical order.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 11:11 AM

Thanks for your input again, KS4J.

I understand the last step in your instructions where I pair the word Judah with the desired highlighting style. I'm going to refer to that screen as the "Pairing Screen." And I remember using this screen in August. I remember giving it a name and entering my 14 key words on the left of the screen and pairing each key word with a highlighting style on the right side of this screen. .

So my first step is to start a Bible Search and enter my search parameters. My last step is to use the Pairing Screen as described above. But there is a middle step that causes the Pairing Screen to appear. And this is my problem---I do not know what keystrokes to use to make this Pairing Screen appear. What keystrokes did you use?

I have written instructions for my software customers. Sometimes a step is so obvious (to me) that I don't think to include it. I think I may be asking something so simple and so obvious that no one is thinking to include that middle step. And when I do get it, I'll think "Of course! How dumb am I???" I did it in August so I obviously know about this step. But I am drawing a complete blank. Ah, another Senior Moment!

Pat

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 12:03 PM

I got it! And, sure nuff, it is really simple and obvious and I feel just as dumb as I thought I would.

I'm not missing the middle step. I was missing the first step. You open Visual Filters in the document Tab. That's what I was missing!!! I was thinking you did the search from your Bible and was trying to make it work from there. 

I just don't know why these things occur to me after I write the forum

Thanks, guys!

Posts 19040
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 2:09 PM

Pat Browne:
I'm not missing the middle step. I was missing the first step. You open Visual Filters in the document Tab. That's what I was missing!!! I was thinking you did the search from your Bible and was trying to make it work from there. 

Another way to create a Visual Filter document is saving a search:

Pat Browne:
I got it!

+1 Yes Smiling Big Smile

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2275
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 8:13 PM

Pat Browne:
You open Visual Filters in the document Tab. That's what I was missing!!!

YesBig Smile

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 21 2017 9:49 AM

I'm glad to see you're still smiling. I did such a dumb thing and am surprised your picture doesn't have you rolling your eyes!!!

Pat

Posts 2275
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 21 2017 12:00 PM

Pat Browne:

I'm glad to see you're still smiling. I did such a dumb thing and am surprised your picture doesn't have you rolling your eyes!!!

Pat

I have done my share of bone-headed things. As I have freely received Grace from God and others, my desire is to do the same for others who remain teachable.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS