October 2017 Anchor Sale

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 501
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 1 2017 6:27 AM

Terrific offering!

I am curious whether anyone is seeing a discount on A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus (4 vols.)? At this time it shows no discount but appears to want to.

Thanks so much for the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary (6 vols.) half off deal and October free resources.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 9:39 AM

Thank you, Steve!

I picked up Judges 1-12 for $20. Really odd. On the AYB OT/NT page, it was $20 (dynamic pricing). On the AYB-OT page, it was $60+ (dynamic pricing).  So, I used the AYB OT/NT page!  After I purchased the latter, I went back, and refreshed the AYB-OT page to see if the $60+ was for more than Judges. Nope. It said I owned them all.

Well, ok! $20 is good.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 16
Yeo Syah Zuan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 6:10 PM

Has anyone seen lower price for AYBD?

Have been thinking to get this one for a very long time, it seems like a really good offer at the moment!

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 6:28 PM

Lowest price that I remember. An excellent price on a great resource. I love dictionaries. 

Posts 1028
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 7:06 PM

A great price for sure. It also is in some base packages, where you could get that and some other resources for a good deal if you have a good amount of dynamic pricing

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/therealkpang

Posts 64
JFritschJr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 8:10 PM

Can someone explain what it means by up to 75% off? I am getting 55%.

Posts 1028
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 8:16 PM

I’m seeing 75% for Johnathan Edwards works thats it. That could be the only one discounted at that price

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/therealkpang

Posts 1334
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 8:22 PM

Yeo Syah Zuan:

Have been thinking to get this one for a very long time, it seems like a really good offer at the moment!

This is an amazing price I don't think you'll ever beat.

I was very happy last year when I got it for $200 in conjunction with a Logos 7 base package.

It's an amazing resource, and I encourage anyone who's ever thought about it to go ahead now.

Posts 1588
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 8:25 PM

The only one I am seeing for 75% is "The Select Works of Jonathan Edwards."

The "Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary" is only at 49%.

In my opinion , other resources as well, should have been at 75% discount.

Posts 501
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 9:15 PM

Can anyone provide feedback on A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus (4 vols.) by John P Meier. Seen it around and usually it is too much $ for me but on sale maybe. I am evangelical with interest in exploring other views but not big on controversy. Where does this set land in comparison to people like N. T. Wright, Bauckham, Bock, Bloomberg, Keener, Sanders and so on? The description implies he might be trying to counter some controversial views. Does he do that and if so without creating too many of his own?

Posts 142
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 1:47 AM
How does the Jonathan Edwards set compare to this one for less than 1/4 the price? https://www.logos.com/product/3923/the-select-works-of-jonathan-edwards
Posts 5429
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 3:10 AM

SteveHD:

Can anyone provide feedback on A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus (4 vols.) by John P Meier. Seen it around and usually it is too much $ for me but on sale maybe. I am evangelical with interest in exploring other views but not big on controversy. Where does this set land in comparison to people like N. T. Wright, Bauckham, Bock, Bloomberg, Keener, Sanders and so on? The description implies he might be trying to counter some controversial views. Does he do that and if so without creating too many of his own?

No offense meant here, but I think you have encountered an impasse in wanting Bible without controversy. The Book is DESIGNED on many levels to produce controversy. Deliberately choosing to avoid it is to choose to miss the meaning and purpose of the Book...along with everything that entails.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 664
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 4:15 AM

Andrew116:

How does the Jonathan Edwards set compare to this one for less than 1/4 the price?

Key is "Select Works"...the larger one is a full works package.

Posts 16
Yeo Syah Zuan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 7:08 AM

Sean:

Yeo Syah Zuan:

This is an amazing price I don't think you'll ever beat.

I was very happy last year when I got it for $200 in conjunction with a Logos 7 base package.

It's an amazing resource, and I encourage anyone who's ever thought about it to go ahead now.

My wallet hates you for this reply. :)

Thanks.

Posts 142
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 9:19 AM

Michael S.:
Key is "Select Works"...the larger one is a full works package.

Both are called select works at my end....

Did my own research - Both have

• Freedom of the Will
  • Religious Affections
  • Original sin
  • A Faithful Narrative, Some thoughts concerning the revival, distinguishing marks
  • Life of David Brainerd
  • End for which God created the world
  • True virtue
  • History of the Work of redemption

The Banner of Truth seems to lack:

• a number of volumes containing works I haven't heard of
  • significant commentary in each volume on the contents, e.g. historical setting.

Bottom line... I'm thinking that your everyday pastor's interest in Edwards is likely to be in the more famous works above. Unless someone is doing research on Edwards or has already read the Banner of Truth edition, I can't see how it's worth another $300 to get the Yale edition...

Posts 1853
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 9:29 AM

SteveHD:
Can anyone provide feedback on A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus

In Witherington's The Jesus Quest, (available in Logos) he is categorized as similar to Peter Stuhlmacher, James Dunn, Marinus de Jonge, Markus Bockmuehl and NT Wright. This overview is itself 20 years old, so not everyone in the current discussion is covered...

Personally, I have not worked through it. But I did spend quite a few afternoons in a library pouring over volume one a few years back. Meier spends quite a bit of time and effort looking at the various sources, and uses extra-biblical sources quite heavily to understand the Judaisms of Jesus's time. And yet he also finds very little in extra-biblical sources that is that useful for information on Jesus himself. In Josephus he sees that there is probably a reference to Jesus that is under centuries of later Christian edits, but IIRC, he does not draw much out of this other than as an outside witness that Jesus existed at about the time the NT says he did. In the "gnostic" "gospels", he does not find much of use either. IIRC, he will admit that a few sayings may exist in a more primitive form than in the canonical gospels, but works themselves, at least as we have them, are generally significantly later - and written by figures who are not really that interested in history.

Meier is "critical" in that he attempts to use all the resources available to shed light on the problem. If you are expecting a pre-critical reading of the New Testament, you will be disappointed. But these critical skills are used to try to uncover what could be behind the NT picture we have - and often shows how some parts of the NT picture that we would tend to just race past are actually quite a bit more interesting in Jesus' cultural world. In many ways this is like the figures you mentioned.

You mentioned "controversy".  Meier's work is over 2000 pages in total - and in those pages he interacts with quite a few figures out there. He agrees with some - disagrees with others. In general, he does this without being disagreeable. But in a very real sense Meier is intentionally being controversial for the edification of the Church and the World.

In the end is is a work of History using the tools available to Historians. Yes - it is pretty obvious that the author is "believer." But it remains a work of history and how he evaluates what he can find today - and not a final statement of faith.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 1853
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 9:37 AM

Andrew116:
Bottom line... I'm thinking that your everyday pastor's interest in Edwards is likely to be in the more famous works above. Unless someone is doing research on Edwards or has already read the Banner of Truth edition, I can't see how it's worth another $300 to get the Yale edition...

With so much offered online by Yale, I personally find it hard for me to justify spending as much as it would cost to integrate it into my Logos library. Of course, if you are doing a lot of work on Edwards, you may make a different decision - especially since I already have the PD collection.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 664
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 3:45 AM

Andrew116:

Probably right...but there is the possibility that the reason the sermons/ works in the Banner edition are "well known" is because they were circulated early on.  So who is to say there is not equally impacting sermons/ works in the larger collection that have just not had the time to circulate yet?  That project at Yale has been going on for almost 20 years now, and they have come into possession of many "lost" works of Edwards. 

His works is approaching Spurgeon size, if not surpassed it.  But of course, the cost is also surpassing.

Posts 142
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 4:53 AM

Yeah I guess for the person who has already read the banner of truth stuff it makes sense. 

For me I’ll start by investing my limited time and dollars into the stuff that is probably famous for a reason

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS