Green's Literal Version (LitV / KJ3)

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 1 2017 5:22 PM

I have created a personal book file for Jay Green's Literal Bible translation, which was requested as a Logos edition in this thread. I decided it was more appropriate to put it in the Files subforum. A much older thread is also related.

I believe I am in compliance with the owner's policy for downloading and non-commercial personal use and sharing.

3348.Green's LitV Bible.docx

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 5:37 PM

Thanks for sharing Robert.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 294
Wei Qiang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 10:12 PM

Thanks,Robert.

Logos 9 Win 10

Posts 514
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 4:16 AM

Thank You!

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 10:07 AM

After using this a bit, it occurred to me that the translator's paragraph indicators should be inside the 'bible-on / bible-off' fields, just like any other punctuation decisions he made. I moved all of the "¶ " indicators in the text (not to be confused with the MS Word paragraph mark) to inside the affected verses' on/off fields. I was hoping this would cause the paragraph marks to appear in the Bible Text Only visual field and in the Text Comparison tool. 

However, it still doesn't appear. Does anyone know why? I have attached the alternate version here.

6283.Alt - Green's LitV Bible.docx

Thanks

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 4615
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 4:08 PM

Thank you for making this available Robert!  I don't know much about making personal books... which version should I use the first one you posted or the revised one?

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 4:22 PM

Mattillo:
... which version should I use the first one you posted or the revised one?

Since my editing didn't have the desired effect, either one as they booth behave the same.

Posts 61
David Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 10:34 AM

Thanks so much, Robert!

Posts 2337
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 7 2017 5:15 PM

Here is something that might work for a cover.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 7 2017 6:21 PM

Thanks for the Bible and the great cover.

-dan

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 8 2017 2:31 PM

Robert M. Warren:

I was hoping this would cause the paragraph marks to appear in the Bible Text Only visual field and in the Text Comparison tool. 

However, it still doesn't appear. Does anyone know why?

Aha! It came to me in a vision:  the paragraph mark being formatted as superscript causes it to not be considered bible-text by the visual filter and Text Comparison tool, even though it is within the bible-on/bible-off fields. I changed it to not-superscript and it now shows under both conditions. I made it in a smaller font and different color to try to separate it from the text.

In an unrelated edit, I changed the paragraph spacing for the Normal style to 6pt After. This seems to make the verses delineate a little nicer in the various views. If you don't like this part, simply modify the Normal style to have either a different After spacing or zero.

Here's the revised file:

8508.Alt2 - Green's LitV Bible.docx

Posts 4
Hal Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 8:59 AM

Thanks for converting the Jay Green Literal Bible and providing the Personal Book. Was this the KJ3 2005 version that you converted? It is found here:

https://thewordnotes.com/litv/litv.htm

Thanks again!

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 12:47 PM

J. "Hal" Warren:
Thanks for converting the Jay Green Literal Bible and providing the Personal Book. Was this the KJ3 2005 version that you converted?

Hi Cousin Hal:

Welcome to the Logos forums, and you're welcome.

The file I posted has a copyright date of 1976-2000, which also appears on the notice for the files you link to, so I think it's the same version.

Posts 4
Hal Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 1:01 PM

Yes, interesting we have the same last names! Agreed, all of the individual files are the older Literal Bible which you converted. In the upper left is the newer KJ3 pdf. What all is involved in converting the KJ3 file into a personal book?  

One of my aunts traced our genealogy and we are of Thomas Warren who arrived in Jamestown in 1632 from England. Perhaps we have a common ancestor?

Hal

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 6:21 PM

J. "Hal" Warren:
Thomas Warren who arrived in Jamestown in 1632

I can't go any further back than the Huntsville area, Mid-19th century. Probably nobody famous, if you don't count Find-A-Grave.

J. "Hal" Warren:
In the upper left is the newer KJ3 pdf

Ah, I didn't see that at first.

J. "Hal" Warren:
What all is involved in converting the KJ3 file into a personal book?

For a Bible, it's fairly involved. My standard procedure for PDFs is to open in MS Word (2013 & later) and convert to docx. I opened that PDF in Word, and I'm not sure how those two columns would work out in the personal book compiler. But there are larger issues than that.

The biggest consideration in making a personal book is how practical the tagging process can be. For a Bible, if you don't have clearly recognizable patterns that you can use in Word to do Find & Replace to apply the necessary tagging, the manual work would be quite a pistol-whipping; in my case, more than I would be willing to deal with. For a Bible to be minimally functional in Logos, it needs:

1. Bible milestone tagging on each verse to enable Logos to index and use the resource in conjunction with other bibles and commentaries, and for searches.
  2. Bible field on and off tagging at each end of the verse, which will enhance usefulness in bible text searches, Text Comparison, bible visual filters, and many other things I can't think of.
  3. Link tags for the verse numerals, so you can have a hover / pop-up / link to your preferred bible for quick comparison.

This Wiki page has many details for building personal books: https://wiki.logos.com/personal_books 

I use Excel at work a lot (have hammer, everything looks like nail), so what I did for the LITV was to copy and paste the web pages for each book into Excel and use text formulas to tag everything; the web page files were already in an Excel-friendly one-verse-per-line format. It was much more practical to apply the tagging. I also created a column for book names and chapter numbers with distinctive font sizes so that when in Word, I could easily apply Heading styles for the Table of Contents. Then, I copied the chapter column and the tagged Excel column and pasted them into Word, and converted the resulting table to text and finished the remaining touches.

I hope that wasn't too discouraging, but it probably was.

Posts 4
Hal Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2021 7:42 AM

Thanks for the insight! Not impossible, but tedious. I will give it some more thought. Perhaps if you were willing to share your work (Excel, Word docs) for the Literal Translation it could be adapted to import the KJ3 into a Personal Book?

I have relatives in AL and MS. So, maybe we are cousins! 

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2021 4:51 PM

Hi Hal:

I did some experimenting with the (full Bible) PDF. It looks like when MS Word imports the PDF, it eats the verse numbers. I then found the newer version in individual book PDFs. The verse numbers survived, but they aren't distinct from the text (e.g., superscript, bold, smaller font) in a way that would enable me to break the resulting document into one-verse-per-line. If you, or anyone else reading this, can find an e-text that is either verse-per-line or has distinctive verse number formats, I'll post the Excel file with instructions. I'll also attempt to nice-it-up a bit to make some of the formulas require fewer manual alterations. I'll stay tuned.

Posts 4
Hal Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 8:28 AM

I have the full version of Adobe. Perhaps the conversion to MS Word might work better? Where did find the individual book PDFs? If they are downloadable, then I will convert one and let you know if it provides the distinction from the test.

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 10:01 AM

Hi Hal:

Here's where I found the individual files:  https://www.sgpbooks.com/cubecart/read-kj3-here.html 

The key to using my method for tagging will be to take the Word file resulting from your conversion and using Find & Replace to get each verse in one Word paragraph; then, the tagging is do-able in Excel. I'll go ahead link to the Excel file, so you'll see what I am referring to. If you get to the point of actually using the XL file, I'll take some time to do additional cleanup to make it simpler for others to use and provide some documentation.

Dropbox:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/g46d0fmkyiqy6ws/LitV%20XL.zip?dl=0 

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS