Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2009 6:32 AM

The commentaries by Warren Wiersbe are very good as are those by Kent Hughes and Montgomery. The latter two do not cover the entire bible.

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2009 6:06 AM

Newsflash - all Zondervan products to head to Libronix!

Checkout all the titles that are on pre-pub now including the Expositors which is an excellent commentary for a lay person!

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2009 8:50 AM

Randle Bond:
Checkout all the titles that are on pre-pub now including the Expositors which is an excellent commentary for a lay person!

Expositors is a good recommendation. It is more expository than Tyndale. The two together would be a nice set for many lay persons. The price for Expositors makes this extra compelling.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2009 8:55 AM

I bought the Scholar's Library which gave quite a selection of commentaries.  After using it for a while, there was a lot of similarity between them around the interpretation of biblical passages.

The JPS set of commentaries give a different perspective altogether because they come from a Judaic point of view.  Often thought provoking and if judiciously applied, definitely resulting in a more "rounded" view.  Although covering only OT books, its surprising how often the OT is referred to by NT writers so JPS is useful in helping to understand why the NT writer chose that piece of scripture to reference.

Knowing what I know now, I wonder if it would have been more cost effective to pick up a couple of the most commonly recommended Christian commentaries (say IVP Essential Collection)  and then augment them with the JPS Tanakh Commentaries?  HTH

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2009 9:02 AM

getting in a little late on this discussion, but I agree with some of these comments:

• upgrading is worth it.   Maybe before you even buy a set.   You get more for your money.  And see a sales rep on that.  Sometimes they can help you.  Or, are you working toward a degree?  If so, an academic discount might be in order.
  • IVP Reference is terrific.  I use it for every sermon.
  • For a cheap little one volume thing, the New Bible Commentary has some very helpful sections in some books, and is only 39.95.  Maybe you have it in your package.
  • With the announced Zondervan deal, you might find some guys wanting to unload their Pradis platform stuff at a good rate . . . I would buy the whole Logos set, but it is wayyy more than your 400.  So, for that money you can get some good works for a good rate.  Just don't tell Logos I said that on this site .. . :)
  • Do your own leg work in study--sometimes that reaps more rewards than commentaries! :)  (I am sure you do that already.)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS