Logos 7 Indexer shuts down for too low free disk space

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 226
Michael A. Lasley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 4 2017 6:00 PM

Logos 7.9 SR1 on WIN10 running on MAC Parallels 13 virtual machine. The Indexer shuts down when free disk space goes below 1GB.

This is a problem for a virtual machine with an expanding disk. My parameters under Parallels 13 give a maximum disk size of 165GB. The disk will automatically expand to that amount. The indexer shuts down when my actual numbers are 0.98GB free of 126GB. I have lots of expansion left.

The actual error reported is "Stopped indexing your library due to low disk space. Please check that you have at least 1 GB of free disk space, then restart to continue."

Apparently in Parallels 13 I have no option to force a given amount of free space. Whatever Parallels uses to force expansion seems to be different than the 1GB Logos has programmed in it code to quit.

I have questions to Logos and to Parallels. Any ideas for a solution?

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 9:57 PM

Michael A. Lasley:
I have lots of expansion left.

125 GB should be more than enough, as Logos could use up to 50 GB and require an additional 20-30 Gb when indexing, but it appears that Parallels is not responding quickly enough. Try to create a temporary file of several GB and then delete it.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17909
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 10:27 PM

Michael A. Lasley:
This is a problem for a virtual machine with an expanding disk. My parameters under Parallels 13 give a maximum disk size of 165GB. The disk will automatically expand to that amount.

Parallels 13 documentation => http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v13/docs/en_US/Parallels%20Desktop%20User's%20Guide/ shows "Expanding Disk" can be unchecked (turn off automatic expansion).

For Library indexing, need adequate free space. On OS X 10.10.5 noticed 20.50 GB used during Library index merging (sqlite database files). The LibraryIndex folder uses 19.01 GB.

Logos 7.9 runs on macOS so curious about using Parallels ?

Thankful for Logos interface being similar on Windows and Mac so can switch as desired.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27554
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 4:25 AM
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Logos 7.9 runs on macOS so curious about using Parallels ?
Concur! There is no reason I can think of to run Logos on Parallels. If it is desired to run windows under boot camp, that might be different.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 6:23 AM

alabama24:
Concur! There is no reason I can think of to run Logos on Parallels

Really Alabama? Have you never heard of Heath Robinson?

Posts 27554
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 8:01 AM

No, and your link is broken!

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 226
Michael A. Lasley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 8:11 AM

My problem is the free space issue, not whether this is the best way to run Logos 7. I actually run 3 different Logos 7 accounts on my Mac: 1 on the mac direct and 2 under Parallels in separate VMs with Win 10. Each is licensed separately and different.

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 8:13 AM

alabama24:

No, and your link is broken!

So it was ( I just fixed it)

But the illustration at the bottom of the page you linked to about sums it up.

See you learn something every day.

(I didn't know the bit about Colossus at Bletchley)

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 8:14 AM

Michael A. Lasley:

My problem is the free space issue, not whether this is the best way to run Logos 7. I actually run 3 different Logos 7 accounts on my Mac: 1 on the mac direct and 2 under Parallels in separate VMs with Win 10. Each is licensed separately and different.

Sorry Michael - no offence intended - I always fall foul of the temptation to wind Alabama up.

I hope the reply from KSJ help solve the problem?

Posts 226
Michael A. Lasley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 8:21 AM

to Dave Hooton:

I think you are right. Parallels is not responding fast enough or it only increases the size when it runs out, not at the 1GB limit Logos has set. I found out how the allocate the entire drive by unchecking the expanding disk option in Parallels. This took a long time and scared me, but worked. However even though I had a full 150GB allocated the vm still had only 126GB with 1GB free. I have since found through Parallels the needed space is setting as unallocated space and it is possibly due to a Parallels/win10 issue. I am getting help now from Parallels and expect to find a solution. Of course, this has all been working for me for years until the latest revisions. Logos revisions, Parallels to 13 revisions, and WIN10 upgrades.

Posts 17909
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 10:44 AM

Michael A. Lasley:
I actually run 3 different Logos 7 accounts on my Mac: 1 on the mac direct and 2 under Parallels in separate VMs with Win 10. Each is licensed separately and different.

Years ago used Oracle's VirtualBox to run Logos 4 in a Windows VM on a Mac, which was useful for comparison of Logos 4 Alpha and Beta releases on Mac with Windows using the same library.

Thankful can use Logos 7 and Verbum 7 at the same time with different Faithlife accounts.

Michael A. Lasley:
Parallels is not responding fast enough or it only increases the size when it runs out, not at the 1GB limit Logos has set.

Suspect Faithlife added free space checking during indexing to avoid crashing computer when all space is used up, which could be problematic for recovery. Converse for virtual space management is expanding physical disk space appropriately (since minimizing free space across many VMs is desirable). Ideal situation is Windows showing free space up to expanded disk size (instead of current allocation). Caveat: suspect crash of many VMs from being unable to allocate space provided incentive for Windows to show allocated space instead of expandable limit.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 226
Michael A. Lasley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 6 2017 2:10 PM

Thanks for the comments KSFJ.

I finally solved on my side of this by working around the Logos restrictions. I made the VM larger by a fixed amount. The unallocated space was added to the C drive by using the free copy of MiniTool Partition Manager. It took only a few seconds. I still think the Logos changes are a problem for all Parallels users using the automatically expanding disk feature.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS