Is there an index available for the David Cook -Standard Lesson Commentary?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 6 2017 10:08 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/53057/esv-standard-lesson-commentary-2015-2016

Does anyone know if there is an index available to locate a lesson featuring 1 Kings 12 in a resource like the one above - available in Logos please?  It would be great to have all of these commentaries one day but only if the lessons and handouts included an index of some kind featuring the Books and passages please.

Any thoughts or comments or feedback anyone?

On a related note...I wish the older Serendipity Bible for groups were in Logos....but that no doubt that has been covered elsewhere or requested previously.

Posts 3220
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 6 2017 10:48 PM

I don't know if that resource offers an index, but you might find it faster to search for references to a passage, e.g., {Milestone <Bible 1Ki 12>} (or use the Passage Guide).

You can find more details about milestone searches on the forum, or the wiki.

Posts 5025
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 7 2017 12:10 AM

The particular resource I looked at does have an index of texts covered. I haven't checked all of the ones I own. The way publishers presents resources does change over time and if an index like this does not exist in all of them that would not be an issue that lies with FL but with the publisher. 

But given you are using these within Logos provided passages are correctly tagged then milestone searches, passage guide and the concordance tool ( for now subscribers) are alternative options to a printed index. 

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 14 2017 4:56 AM

An index online or within Logos that I could use to see if a Bible study exists on a particular chapter say in 1st Kings would be helpful.

I am surprised that so far online I cannot find one.

Posts 21939
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 14 2017 5:29 AM

JoshInRI:
An index online or within Logos that I could use to see if a Bible study exists on a particular chapter say in 1st Kings would be helpful.

I think - but am not sure - that you are asking if there is some index, preferably online, that you could access to see if a particular passage was covered in this commentary. And if so, which quarter was it / will it be addressed? And you want to use this information to guide your purchasing decisions. Is that correct?

If so I would expect David Cook would be best placed to answer this.

Posts 590
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 8:16 AM

This Lesson Commentary is published by Standard Publishing and not David C. Cook. The lesson commentaries run in a 6 year cycle. You might contact them at: http://standardpub.com to see if they have the current list of Scriptures for this cycle.   

Posts 17973
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 8:31 AM

PetahChristian:
you might find it faster to search for references to a passage, e.g., {Milestone <Bible 1Ki 12>}

Milestone search can be simplified a bit:

{Milestone <1K12>}

Milestone search is quite helpful in resources with more than one section per Milestone.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10051
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 8:32 AM

The 6 year cycle has ended summer 2016 and the scripture index for that is in the 2015/16 resource: 

CUMULATIVE INDEX

A cumulative index for Scripture passages used in the STANDARD LESSON COMMENTARY for September 2010–August 2016 is provided below.

https://ref.ly/logosres/slc15-16niv?art=idx1 

(1 Kings 12 seems not to be covered)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 31 2017 5:41 PM

Graham, Sir, the resource is sold in and on Logos too.  I would buy more of it in Logos if I could see what, if anything, they had for a 1 Kings Mens Bible Study I am doing, for example.  The Standard Lesson Commentary sounds and is a great resource but needs a better overall multi volume multi year index imho.

NB.Mick...I do not own the resource yet so I cannot open your helpful link.  Thanks though.

Posts 10051
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 1 2017 1:01 AM

JoshInRI:

NB.Mick...I do not own the resource yet so I cannot open your helpful link.  Thanks though.

Sorry. It looks like this:

but as I said, the reference you were looking for is not covered (actually the whole of Samuel/Kings/Chronicles seems to have been not in focus in the last six years cycle - maybe they will feature more prominently in the current cycle, or did so in the one prior to 2010):

Posts 10051
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 1 2017 2:00 AM

NB.Mick:
in the one prior to 2010

the 2009/10 edition is strangely absent in Logos (though prior years are available back to 2002, and the full cycle from 2010 onwards), but I managed to look up the cumulative index in an archive.org version, so you can judge whether it treats the texts you want to study from 1 Kings:

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS