Faithlife: Need for Help at ChristianDiscourse

Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 55 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2484
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 26 2017 2:06 PM

I was only a sporadic participant in the CD forum, but it definitely is a loss.

I've got a powerful server, I'm confident to be able to create a forum with "sign in via Logos" functionality, so please get in touch with me if you're interested in setting up a CD successor!

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 28129
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 26 2017 2:17 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, CD was an "intern summer project." I have been told that FL is aware of the situation and "will take a look at it" after the holidays... but obviously no guarantees. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2484
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 26 2017 2:57 PM

It can't hurt to start researching. If FL revives CD - good. If not, I'll be prepared to launch a new forum.

Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2169
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 26 2017 3:35 PM

Veli Voipio:
CD would be good if the members can choose their friends the same way as in the Facebook and block out those that are not in the same mode or level. Also members could provide a profile of themselves (denomination, scholarly views, approach to use Logos, etc.) in order to include other members for discussion/encouragement/debate/whatever.

That could be a secret of success. Great idea.  

Jan Krohn:
I'll be prepared to launch a new forum.

Wow! That would be great!

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 27 2017 2:37 AM

That would be great Jan. I believe CD was as near perfect as you can get. The strong points were free speech presented to all, whether we liked it or not (no compartmentalization). And doctrinal and political debate open to public view and response.  

Posts 2484
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 8 2018 3:39 AM

The first week of January has passed, and no reply from FL yet...

I've done my research and found a suitable forum software that should support logging in with an FL account. However, for reasons unknown to me, the login doesn't work.

@FL: If the good old CD is not coming back, I'd appreciate some help with the authentication settings. Here's a screenshot from my test forum.

Posts 17
Wolfgang Schneider | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 8 2018 4:57 AM

Hi,

why is there a reason to use the faithlife authorization system ?  Anyone wanting to participate can make their own account, whether they desire to use the same login name & password or create a different one should not matter at all ...
I doubt very much that FL will accept an outside application to have access to their authorization system.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

(BibelCenter Editor)

Posts 2484
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 8 2018 5:20 AM

Faithlife does have an API to their authorization system that's open to be used by external applications. My registration has already been accepted (by automatic process though).

Logging in with FL would be for the ease of use. No one would have to waste time registering and creating a new profile, and existing users would be easily reconizable by name and picture.

(Standalone profiles is the fallback solution though in case no-one from FL replies here.)

Posts 2169
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 8 2018 5:53 AM

I wish FL would get their system up and going but it has been unreliable and unmaintained for a very long time and now it is totally down--again, as you know.   I wish I could help, but don't have the know-how for what you are asking.  I just want to say that I appreciate what you are doing. 

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 8 2018 6:12 AM

Why not launch your site anyway? The CD forum was always my favorite because of its openness and user friendliness. But anything similar would be attractive. Thanks for your efforts. 

Posts 2484
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 8 2018 8:44 AM

Dave L:
Why not launch your site anyway?

Let's give FL just a bit more time to decide on the future of the official CD forum. That would really be preferable, since people already know it and it contains all the previos dicussion threads.

Also, if some FL coding crack spots the error in my configuration, and points me to it, that could possibly cause some issue with the forum if it's already set up using standalone accounts, and people having singed up with a different email address than the one they use in their FL account. That might end up in a big hassle with duplicate user accounts...

Posts 2178
LogosEmployee

Jan Krohn:

The first week of January has passed, and no reply from FL yet...

I've done my research and found a suitable forum software that should support logging in with an FL account. However, for reasons unknown to me, the login doesn't work.

@FL: If the good old CD is not coming back, I'd appreciate some help with the authentication settings. Here's a screenshot from my test forum.

I don't know much about OAuth, but I'm told that you'll need to use OAuth v1 instead of v2. Also, you won't be able to support on-site signin, but will need to redirect to auth.faithlife.com.

Posts 2484
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 8 2018 3:05 PM

Thanks! I take from this response that the old CD forum is not coming back...?

Unfortunately, the OAuth help is no good news. OAuth1 is not supported out of the box. Seems it's also not downward compatible with v2 Sad

I'll do a bit more research before launching. It would be better to get this bit set up correctly in the first place.

Anyway, www.christiandiscourse.net is secured, and will launch in the next few days.

Posts 2178
LogosEmployee

Jan Krohn:

Thanks! I take from this response that the old CD forum is not coming back...?

Unfortunately, I don't know for certain when or if the problems will be fixed.

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 3:37 AM

Thanks Jan! CD.net looks great and I'm looking forward to joining in. I hope we can edit or delete our posts once published. Sometimes things don't come out as intended and it's good to be able to go back and make refinements.Smile 

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 4:52 AM

Gao Lu:

Great idea.  I nominate Justin Gatlin.

I agree with the above nomination

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 5:03 AM

What was great about CD was that Logos sells to a broad swath of christendom. And to censor any is to censor customers.

On the other hand, if someone who is bound by conscience to uphold their "version of the truth", moderates the forum, little if any open dialog between contributors will exist. 

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 5:17 AM

Dave L:
if someone who is bound by conscience to uphold their "version of the truth", moderates the forum, little if any open dialog between contributors will exist. 

You have made an excellent point well worth considering!

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 17
Wolfgang Schneider | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 6:11 AM

As far as moderation is concerned, I would think that the forum owner (here, Jan Krohn) sort of by default as the Admin is also "head moderator", as some moderation is definitely needed as there may be times when "technical" problems or items come up that need attention requiring server access, etc.  In regards to moderation relating to topics, contents of posts, etc., I would suggest to post some guidelines (perhaps the ones that were part of the original CD forums?) that should be adhered to by forum members and participants. 

Other than that, participants on a forum such as this are not forced to read all posts nor are they forced to reply, etc.   Each participant is free to write and actively participate in an exchange or else refrain from doing so and either just be a silent "read along" member or else not read certain posts or topics etc.

I have not looked at the new forum site to see what technical possibilities there are for creation of topics, categories, etc .... but it could be a good idea, if Jan could set up a basic "category / topics" framework for orientation (maybe similar to the categories previously?) so participants can have a starting place where to put their questions/posts when they start writing posts.

Just some ideas ... from experience over years with a Bible study forum (mostly in German language) on my own BibelCenter website (Note: there is not much going on in terms of discussion on the English language side)

Cheers,
Wolfgang

(BibelCenter Editor)

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 6:27 AM

As long as moderation is only for serious infractions, not piddly stuff.  In other words, moderation as the current CD site had for the most part.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS