Bob Pritchett

Page 2 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 4565
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 6:17 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Here are just a few of the things that I've been involved in recently. (Of course, by involved I mean I instigated or helped plan or review... the hard work of execution has been done by our incredible team. I just go to meetings!)

-- Bob

Mr Pritchett Sir... Is there any reason why you have limited your journal to only seminary professors?  I am obviously not a seminary professor but I do enjoy reading journals (hopefully Logos starts bringing them back in).  Are there plans to digitize these in the future or make them available to the non-elite laymen such as myself? Smile

Posts 5745
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 2:05 PM

Bob continues to refuse to digitise Bible Study Magazine.... he has a good setup going where he is trying to charge twice for the same content for those silly enough to pay twice.  First content appears in BSM and then a few years down the track, they repackage the content as Logos books. Promises this company were built on are being broken through sneaky approaches I'd expect only from a secular company.

Mattillo:

Bob Pritchett:

Here are just a few of the things that I've been involved in recently. (Of course, by involved I mean I instigated or helped plan or review... the hard work of execution has been done by our incredible team. I just go to meetings!)

-- Bob

Mr Pritchett Sir... Is there any reason why you have limited your journal to only seminary professors?  I am obviously not a seminary professor but I do enjoy reading journals (hopefully Logos starts bringing them back in).  Are there plans to digitize these in the future or make them available to the non-elite laymen such as myself? Smile

Posts 579
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 2:22 PM

Doc,

In all fairness I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Just about every book we have in Logos started out in paper, if we want to replace our paper copies with digital, that is another purchase. Some keep both, and others sell the paper to help afford the digital.

I think we all have bought many books "Twice", and most of the publisher's are Christian publisher's. 

What promise do you think Faithlife has broken?

Posts 5745
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 2:48 PM

You will never pay twice for the same thing...yet that is what FL is doing...you are free to see this as acceptable, and free to pay twice for the same content if you like but I do not think it is a good look for them, particularly when FL continue to refuse to put BSM is Logos format. I see too much stretching of the truth from this company in its marketing, this is just another example.

A lot of the examples you are using  Bobby are irrelevant to this scenario as those paperbacks you never purchased from FL.

You are free to your view, but calling me unfair is not going to make me change my view on this issue.

Bobby Terhune:

Doc,

In all fairness I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Just about every book we have in Logos started out in paper, if we want to replace our paper copies with digital, that is another purchase. Some keep both, and others sell the paper to help afford the digital.

I think we all have bought many books "Twice", and most of the publisher's are Christian publisher's. 

What promise do you think Faithlife has broken?

Posts 1720
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 5:17 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):

and if you need us to tell you what the problem is at this point in time you clearly have internal communication issues within as your staff must not have kept you fully informed of the disappointment of your customers. 

We had a big meeting on journals recently, and as I understand it, the ONLY issue is 'that we aren't doing it exactly like Galaxie', which comes down to how we bundle them (not using Galaxie's popular 50 for $50 / year model), and the fact that we were unable to secure the rights to every journal Galaxie had.

If this is your issue, then you are right, we have failed to do what we believed we could do -- acquire all the same journals. And we are still working on that, and even on more creative (and expensive to us) solutions.

But as far as I can tell from your post, there isn't another issue other than the bundling (which we're revisiting) and whether or not we can get licenses, which is out of our hand. We've learned our lesson about predicting that we'll be able to license, and the appropriate people here have been duly (kindly, Christian-ly) shamed for their aggressive predictions. We have not yet flogged them, introducing as it does legal and ethical issues, but if those of you angry about journals wish it so, we'll (briefly) reconsider it. :-)

Suggesting that starting a print journal aimed at seminary professors is the solution to the lack of journals we used to be able to access in Logod but can no longer only reinforces you are out of touch with customers

I have not in any way suggested that. It's inaccurate (and, I think, unkind) to misrepresent me in this way. I mentioned that journal in a list of "just a few of the things that I've been involved in recently". There is no claim or even inference that it is a solution for a lack of journals. It's completely unrelated.

Are you aware of the growing concern and disfaction

No, I am not. To the best of my knowledge, we have not scaled down tagging or linking at all, and in fact only ever escalate that. I know that we've also reduced prices on hundreds of titles in 2017, though maybe not the ones you want, for which I apologize. I will look into this to see if we have in fact reduced our tagging specifications.

Posts 1720
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 5:32 PM

Mattillo:
Is there any reason why you have limited your journal to only seminary professors? 

Different journals have different audiences; this one happens to be aimed at seminary professors, and is specifically about what they do. (It's so specific, that it may be of limited interest if you aren't a seminary professor.)

It will be available by subscription to anyone who would like to subscribe, and I expect digital editions will follow in the future, but that's not the first emphasis. (Like BSM, part of the goal is to reach people we may not be able to reach digitally.)

Posts 1720
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 5:35 PM

Bob continues to refuse to digitise Bible Study Magazine

We have come up with a strategy to deliver BSM digitally (possibly in both a text format as well as a 'PDF-like pages' format), and hope to roll that our in the first quarter. I'm sorry it's been so long.

Re-purposing content from different formats is a classic model; Charles DIckens' stories got published as novels only after they were serialized in magazines... I don't think it's 'sneaky', and I'm pretty sure we're up front about it -- it's just another form factor.

It's not my preference, though, and we haven't done much of it recently except for Michael Heiser's 'Bible Unfiltered', which is specifically to address the audience that likes his content and wants it in other formats.

Posts 29474
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 5:54 PM

Bob Pritchett:
Re-purposing content from different formats is a classic model; Charles DIckens' stories got published as novels only after they were serialized in magazines... I don't think it's 'sneaky'

It isn't sneaky, and you are right... it is "classic!" Smile

Personally, I prefer to eliminate nearly all my print materials... which is funny, because I do like good design! 

I think <one> of the reasons this continues to be a vocal issue for many forum members is because we have a growing international community which doesn't have a reasonable (i.e. cost effective, timely) way to subscribe to the magazine. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 653
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 6:48 PM

Bob Pritchett:

There is no claim or even inference that it is a solution for a lack of journals.

Implication, not inference. :-)

I really appreciate your openess about aims and your honesty about not always achieving them, Bob. Logos is a company I trust, and that has a lot to do with the integrity that you have demonstrated in acknowledging and responding to mistakes. Thank you.

Posts 695
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 8:36 PM

Ditto on Gordon Jones' second paragraph.Big Smile

Posts 2248
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 4:45 AM

Bob Pritchett:

and if you need us to tell you what the problem is at this point in time you clearly have internal communication issues within as your staff must not have kept you fully informed of the disappointment of your customers. 

We had a big meeting on journals recently, and as I understand it, the ONLY issue is 'that we aren't doing it exactly like Galaxie', which comes down to how we bundle them (not using Galaxie's popular 50 for $50 / year model), and the fact that we were unable to secure the rights to every journal Galaxie had.

If this is your issue, then you are right, we have failed to do what we believed we could do -- acquire all the same journals. And we are still working on that, and even on more creative (and expensive to us) solutions.

But as far as I can tell from your post, there isn't another issue other than the bundling (which we're revisiting) and whether or not we can get licenses, which is out of our hand. We've learned our lesson about predicting that we'll be able to license, and the appropriate people here have been duly (kindly, Christian-ly) shamed for their aggressive predictions. We have not yet flogged them, introducing as it does legal and ethical issues, but if those of you angry about journals wish it so, we'll (briefly) reconsider it. :-)

Suggesting that starting a print journal aimed at seminary professors is the solution to the lack of journals we used to be able to access in Logod but can no longer only reinforces you are out of touch with customers

I have not in any way suggested that. It's inaccurate (and, I think, unkind) to misrepresent me in this way. I mentioned that journal in a list of "just a few of the things that I've been involved in recently". There is no claim or even inference that it is a solution for a lack of journals. It's completely unrelated.

Are you aware of the growing concern and disfaction

No, I am not. To the best of my knowledge, we have not scaled down tagging or linking at all, and in fact only ever escalate that. I know that we've also reduced prices on hundreds of titles in 2017, though maybe not the ones you want, for which I apologize. I will look into this to see if we have in fact reduced our tagging specifications.

Bob, I certainly trust you and absolutely disagree with the tone of doc's posts.  I think the biggest problem with the journals is that the newer bundles were sold with the understanding that the journals in those bundles would be regularly updated, and newer journals would be added as rights were negotiated; however, it seems that nothing has happened at all, and there have already been posts from Faithlife employees apologizing for the lack of activity on either front.

I automatically assume you guys are doing what you can for your customers as that is my experience, but I think you sometimes promise the moon (with the full intentions of coming through) and find that it is not feasible.  Then there is silence from Faithlife, anger from some customers, and then the cleanup process that follows.  I think we are in the cleanup process now with journals.

Whatever decisions you make, I want Faithlife to be around for at least as long as I am, so I certainly don't want you giving stuff away!!

God Bless, and I continue to pray for your family.  

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 8:52 AM

Bob,

The issues I see with Journals (in no order of importance):

1. Many, many broken promises on what will be done.

2.  Scheduled releases and updates are not happening.

3.  Loss of certain journals.

4.  Time it has taken for this to get resolved.

5.  The appearance that Logos cares more about other projects than the ones their customers ask for.

6.  Communication does not happen until the Logos users bring out the pitchforks.

7.  I spend $50 a year on Galaxie for renting a resource instead of paying you $50 to own a resource.

8.  The clear need for a Journal Czar to regularly speak to the people and manage journal projects.

9.  The underlying foundation to all of the above:  We want Logos to succeed, provided us the resources needed, and take our money.  

Posts 5745
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 10:39 AM

But are you going to offer it in Logos format? 

Bob Pritchett:

We have come up with a strategy to deliver BSM digitally (possibly in both a text format as well as a 'PDF-like pages' format), and hope to roll that our in the first quarter. I'm sorry it's been so long.

Re-purposing content from different formats is a classic model; Charles DIckens' stories got published as novels only after they were serialized in magazines... I don't think it's 'sneaky', and I'm pretty sure we're up front about it -- it's just another form factor.

It's not my preference, though, and we haven't done much of it recently except for Michael Heiser's 'Bible Unfiltered', which is specifically to address the audience that likes his content and wants it in other formats.

Posts 5745
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 11:13 AM

Joseph Turner:

Bob, I certainly trust you and absolutely disagree with the tone of doc's posts.   

Joseph how are you being helpful by making a judgemental comment like this about a fellow customers concerns whom yiou don't know and are making assumptiond about their 'tone' as you call it. Sadly reality is there will always be Christians who boast, 'look at me, I am not like that sinner over there', so I should not be surprised by your judgemental attitude.

The only tone that was  expressed is one of disappointment with certain actions of FL and any customer has the right to express their concerns. Please stick to providing your views on topics without being judgemental of other people's views that differ from yours. These forums are not meant for debating one another's expetiences with and concerns about the company. You are certainly most free to share yours but if you like to debate people's views on topics head on over to one of the many Christian debating forums that exist online, but here keep your judgements to yourself about other peoples customer experiences.

If Bob thinks any customer has a mistaken view he can respond to them himself. You putting both yourself and him up on a pedestal by saying, Bob, look at me I'm am not like that sinner over there who dares to express disappointment with FL is really not a good look for you  Joseph. I believe you are a much better person than what you are painting yourself to be with the throwawy comment you felt you just had to make about someone with whom you disagree.

Posts 5745
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 11:16 AM

Once again you have well summarised the issues with Journals.

Everett Headley:

Bob,

The issues I see with Journals (in no order of importance):

1. Many, many broken promises on what will be done.

2.  Scheduled releases and updates are not happening.

3.  Loss of certain journals.

4.  Time it has taken for this to get resolved.

5.  The appearance that Logos cares more about other projects than the ones their customers ask for.

6.  Communication does not happen until the Logos users bring out the pitchforks.

7.  I spend $50 a year on Galaxie for renting a resource instead of paying you $50 to own a resource.

8.  The clear need for a Journal Czar to regularly speak to the people and manage journal projects.

9.  The underlying foundation to all of the above:  We want Logos to succeed, provided us the resources needed, and take our money.  

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 12:03 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Audra is back to 'watch and wait' after her clear scan post-chemo

That's so good to hear. PTL. Hoping for steady and full recovery.

Posts 3742
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 1:14 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Overall she's much better and going in the right direction! Thanks for asking...

I'm PTL with you, Bob!! Thanks for all you keep doing for this community.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2248
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 4:47 PM

Joseph how are you being helpful by making a judgemental comment like this about a fellow customers concerns whom yiou don't know and are making assumptiond about their 'tone' as you call it. Sadly reality is there will always be Christians who boast, 'look at me, I am not like that sinner over there', so I should not be surprised by your judgemental attitude.

The only tone that was  expressed is one of disappointment with certain actions of FL and any customer has the right to express their concerns. Please stick to providing your views on topics without being judgemental of other people's views that differ from yours. These forums are not meant for debating one another's expetiences with and concerns about the company. You are certainly most free to share yours but if you like to debate people's views on topics head on over to one of the many Christian debating forums that exist online, but here keep your judgements to yourself about other peoples customer experiences.

I'm only going to respond to this once, because despite your accusation, I am not going to debate you about anything.  What you want is absolutely valid, but how you present your arguments comes across in a vitriolic manner.  I was merely pointing out that I am not angry or about to start accusing Faithlife of dishonesty, but I do have similar concerns.  I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, but you should consider that your tone may seem different when typed out than it does in your mind, which is often a problem in this medium..

If Bob thinks any customer has a mistaken view he can respond to them himself.

He did above:

Bob Pritchett:

And just to be clear, I am no better than you; I have also said things on this very forum which were said in haste and irritation, and I apologize profusely.  

P.S. I hope that the journal situation becomes better.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 5745
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 7:22 PM

Joseph I am not hurt just disappointed by the fact people on these forums continue to feel it necessary to make judgements about others on these forums with whom they disagree rather than sticking to simply expressing their own view and leaving it at that. You may not like my honesty and nor might Bob on ocassion but I'm not going to change from giving honest feedback.

You still clearly feel yourself superior because you felt the need to copy Bob's comments to me here in your response when once again this has nothing to do with you. I have already read his comnents so no need for you to repeat them. Sometimes I simply choose not to respond any further, other times I respond offline and other times I respond direct. I guess you earn two Gold Stars today for twice injectioning yourself into a conversation that was never directed at you.

At least we can agree on the hope for a better solution for journals in the future and I also you continue to provide the helpful and insightful answers on these forums because you do have a lot to offer, just leave thd  judgemental side comments about others out of your responses.

Posts 2832
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 9:11 AM

Bob Pritchett:

My hope would be that you would offer both a PDF version and one inside Logos. I have a Kindle and like to read magazines in PDF form, but I'd also like to have it tagged in Logos so it shows up in searches or guides. If I could only have one, I'd prefer the latter.

Right now, I get my monthly sub to BSM and scan it using my Fujitsu scanner and then load it on my Kindle. I leave the physical copy in a convenient spot in the house where I can consume short snippets of info while performing other functions (ahem).

Page 2 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS