Sermon Editor Useful?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 16 2017 1:55 PM

I use word to develop my sermons currently but was asked about the sermon editor in Logos.

I haven't kept up with new updates as I should have and was unaware of this feature. 

I began trying to develop a sermon using this feature and the easy export of verse slides seems useful. Other than this one aspect though I'm wondering if it's worth the time for me to learn the workflow necessary to use the sermon editor. 

My question: Do you use this feature on a regular basis and is it time saving or consuming?

Posts 24900
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 3:06 PM

John Graves:
My question: Do you use this feature on a regular basis and is it time saving or consuming?

I use it regularly - I write my sermons in the tool and use the resultant documents to preach from on my iPad - for either one or two services each Sunday.

I outlined some of the benefits I see in an earlier reply - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/141981/899694.aspx#899694 - but since then I have started using it to prepare slides as well.

Some of the more recent additions - including "Speaker Styles" - have added to its value in my opinion.

Posts 1359
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 8:54 PM

I use it exclusively.....I find it very helpful. 

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 5:41 AM

I am quite fearful to use it. It is kind of neat and since I use iPad to preach from and since it is an iPad that does not support dual screens, I can have the Logos iOS app running and use the Editor. That is neat.

My fear is from the possibility of losing all of that since Logos files are in a proprietary format that would be lost forever if something happened to Logos or if a paradigm shift occurred so extreme that a new fancier version of Logos made existing files incompatible. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, but it is a fear.

I use Ulysses or Scrivener to build sermons - they can be exported and saved in more common formats where the possibility of incompatibilities is much lower.

Posts 24900
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 5:56 AM

Bill Cook:
My fear is from the possibility of losing all of that since Logos files are in a proprietary format that would be lost forever if something happened to Logos or if a paradigm shift occurred so extreme that a new fancier version of Logos made existing files incompatible. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, but it is a fear.

Please note you can export Sermon Documents from Logos to Word (I don't know what options there are on Mac)

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 6:53 AM

Graham Criddle:

John Graves:

I use it regularly - I write my sermons in the tool and use the resultant documents to preach from on my iPad - for either one or two services each Sunday.

I outlined some of the benefits I see in an earlier reply - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/141981/899694.aspx#899694 - but since then I have started using it to prepare slides as well.

Some of the more recent additions - including "Speaker Styles" - have added to its value in my opinion.

Thank you after working with it a bit more yesterday I do think I have found a replacement to Word or at least a companion. 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 7:52 AM

Bill Cook:
My fear is from the possibility of losing all of that since Logos files are in a proprietary format that would be lost forever if something happened to Logos or if a paradigm shift occurred so extreme that a new fancier version of Logos made existing files incompatible.

Second of all, In the past Logos has made major transitions (e.g. in Note document format) and those notes have come along for the ride.  I particularly remember this being a point of discussion among beta testers a long time ago (in internet years).

First of all, I routinely export every single sermon document to RTF and then email that to my kindle (since I preach from kindle).  So everything is backed up.

That said, with a new computer build I have moved entirely to working satisfactorily  in the Logos Sermon Editor.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 8:28 AM

Hmmm... OK, well I may try again.

Posts 327
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 7 2017 12:07 PM

Bill Cook:

I am quite fearful to use it. It is kind of neat and since I use iPad to preach from and since it is an iPad that does not support dual screens, I can have the Logos iOS app running and use the Editor. That is neat.

I use Ulysses or Scrivener to build sermons - they can be exported and saved in more common formats where the possibility of incompatibilities is much lower.

I agree with your fear. In the past I have used it exclusively and did not export to Word (which I use to do) and two times in the last 60 days, Logos has crashed and when I went back into Logos there was no sermon. 20-25 hours of sermon preparation GONE!!!! And when I called CS, they informed me that the synchronization encountered an error and then timed out. But the software never informed me that that there was a sync problem going on and then it was the software that crashed and not my existing out of the software. Very Frustrated a Logos right now!!!!! I will never again use sermon editor in that way. It has let me down twice in 60 days (two many times) and a weeks worth of preparation is lost..............GRRRRR. People pay good money for the software to work and when it lets you down that many times, I will not use it again. 

Posts 8205
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 7 2017 3:51 PM

I use it every Sunday and present from my screen. It’s very useful, but it lacks the ability to add pictures into the outline that zoom in and out. Accordance has this feature. Hopefully Logos will implement it some day 👍😁👌

Posts 27
Julian West | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 9 2017 5:06 AM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
two times in the last 60 days, Logos has crashed and when I went back into Logos there was no sermon. 20-25 hours of sermon preparation GONE!!!! And when I called CS, they informed me that the synchronization encountered an error and then timed out. But the software never informed me that that there was a sync problem going on and then it was the software that crashed and not my existing out of the software.

This is good to know.

FL: is this on a bug-tracker or some such?  Knowing the issue is being dealt with and when its resolved affects my faith in/usage of the product.

User-created data should be cached continually and the software robust enough to recover (Word has had this for decades) when something goes wrong.  Software should never presume that everything (especially I/O) will work every time.  Then again, the software could be set up that way but something in that regard isn't working.

Logos 7 Base + Platinum Library + Now | Surface Pro 2017 | i7-7700K Desktop | i7-4800MQ Gaming Laptop | Android 7.1.2

Posts 9136
LogosEmployee

Julian West:
FL: is this on a bug-tracker or some such?

Yes, it's on a bug tracker. Our developers and CS have been working with Pastor Michael since this problem was reported to recover the data (if possible), understand the root cause, and fix it.

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 9 2017 6:36 AM

Julian West:

Pastor Michael Huffman:
two times in the last 60 days, Logos has crashed and when I went back into Logos there was no sermon. 20-25 hours of sermon preparation GONE!!!! And when I called CS, they informed me that the synchronization encountered an error and then timed out. But the software never informed me that that there was a sync problem going on and then it was the software that crashed and not my existing out of the software.

This is good to know.

FL: is this on a bug-tracker or some such?  Knowing the issue is being dealt with and when its resolved affects my faith in/usage of the product.

User-created data should be cached continually and the software robust enough to recover (Word has had this for decades) when something goes wrong.  Software should never presume that everything (especially I/O) will work every time.  Then again, the software could be set up that way but something in that regard isn't working.

This was my fear when I began to try to use it. I like the easy verse slide export feature but I'll stick with Word for now due to the autosave feature. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS