FL Pricing?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 91
John W | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 16 2017 3:21 PM

I found out today, 10-16,that FL is selling Barth's 31 volume Church Dogmatics for $75. In 2012 I paid $550. I had no idea the price could so drastically be cut one day.This makes me not want to make future expensive product purchases. 

I contacted CS but they would not give a credit of any amount to make up for it.

Posts 10953
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 3:42 PM

Well, look on the bright side. You can get the Barth 19 vol collection for $200 in just 15 days!   Then you'll really feel bad.

Actually, I think the prepub no-lower-than is a few months. 2012 seems like a lot more than that.

But thank you for the heads up .... I refused Barth at $300+  $75 is ok.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1025
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 3:45 PM

I don’t think your line of reasoning is right honestly. If you buy a product from any other store you cannot get a credit or some sort of discount 5 years later. Businesses have sales all the time and they don’t refund or credit people based on what they paid previously 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/therealkpang

Posts 2574
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 3:58 PM

Not buying stuff at full price does the trick.

FL always has some resources at a huge discount, and many users make use of them. They also have lots of resources at a very expensive standard price. If a customer needs a resource instantly, then they have to pay whatever FL asks at that moment.

Take air tickets for comparison. If you buy a ticket today for example from New York to Singapore for 1 January, it might cost $1,000. On the day of departure, the same ticket might cost $300, or $3,000, or any other amount. If the price has dropped, the airline is not gonna give you any refund.

If you need to travel instantly, you have to pay whatever price they ask. They're not gonna give you a discount just because other travelers on the same plane have paid considerably less.

That's a legitimate business model for an airline. Why should it not be for FL?

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 4:11 PM

John:

I found out today, 10-16,that FL is selling Barth's 31 volume Church Dogmatics for $75. In 2012 I paid $550. I had no idea the price could so drastically be cut one day.This makes me not want to make future expensive product purchases. 

I contacted CS but they would not give a credit of any amount to make up for it.

5 years is an extremely long time. Too much time has passed to consider paying too much (in my opinion). Pricing on a lot of products decrease over time, and a lower base price coupled with a sale will produce an extremely low price compared to what the cost was previously.

It seems that 1 Month is a standard for returns, credits, and refunds.

Posts 10953
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 4:25 PM

Robert Neely:

Robert, you're so behind in theology-land!  Personal behavior has nothing to do with theology (a key tenet of King David theology).  In Japan, some are now taking a hard look at Constantine's behavior. Luckily, with King David theology, it just doesn't matter.  Impact on wife, kids, dead close relations, poor people. No, no, no, and no.

Plus, $75. Now for Harnack at $40. Not sure what he was busily doing. This new King David thing is really great!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 2574
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 4:37 PM

Denise:
Personal behavior has nothing to do with theology

It might impact theology. If the person doesn't repent, that indicates they're unsaved, which means they don't have the Holy Spirit, and therefore their theology is just man-made wisdom.

(Please note I don't know about Barth's repentance, therefore I'm not judging.)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 487
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 4:42 PM

i think the last paragraph pretty well sums it up:

"In sum, then, I still don’t much care for Karl Barth, and for a variety of reasons having to do with both theology and life.  Those wise words of Barth’s mother quoted above to her wayward son should be a salutary word of caution to those of us who seek to do theology: “What is the most brilliant theology good for, if it is to be shipwrecked in one’s own house?”

Posts 18386
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 16 2017 5:54 PM

John:
I found out today, 10-16,that FL is selling Barth's 31 volume Church Dogmatics for $75.

Thankful for Pastor's Appreciation sale items with 75 % discount => https://www.logos.com/pastor-appreciation-month including Barth's 31 volume Church Dogmatics for a week.

Apologies since had already purchased a larger library package with => https://www.logos.com/product/5758/barths-church-dogmatics that was a little less expensive per volume than the $ 75 sale (albeit wallet cried as package purchase was more than $ 550).

Thankful for Faithlife offering many free books. Albeit a disadvantage of a larger library is free book of the month => https://www.logos.com/free-book-of-the-month often is already licensed. Also Thankful for many discounted Vyrso eBooks => https://vyrso.com/products/search?q=-GenreGroup%3A*Fiction&unlocked=no&start=&sort=savings (non-fiction filter can be removed)

John:
In 2012 I paid $550. I had no idea the price could so drastically be cut one day.This makes me not want to make future expensive product purchases. 

Thankful Faithlife can cut prices, sometimes drastically, which enables more people to purchase.

With wisdom learned later in life, at times wish go could back and make more prudent choices to glorify God.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS