Logos 7 Too Much?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Larry Neat Matthews | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 18 2017 7:05 AM

Is it me?
Is it my computers?
Or is it the software?
Have been using Logos for many years and have a very significant library and investment; it has been greatly beneficial for years.
Recently my computers struggle with the software.
Right now my MacBook pro has a twirling circle indicating background activity, it has been going on for more than five minutes. This activity has become normal.
Normally I use a Windows 10 HP with i7 processor and 16G of RAM with the same result.
I seem to constantly be jumping from one platform to the other in hopes of being able to get something done.
Often I have to resort to the Logos Bible Software App on my iPad so I can at least read; although that is not a good study and research environment.
Is anyone else victim of this situation?
If you have suffered through this how did you overcome the problem?
I'm about at the end of my wits; I don't have time for this.
In the meantime my MacBook is still twirling it's little thinking cap trying to open a screen layout.

Posts 17974
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 10:44 AM

Personally have logging enabled => Report a Problem so can open Logos.log for diagnostic message(s) about spinning cursor.

When Logos is busy searching something, user interface reaction is terrible so my Logos 8 Wishlist includes several annoyances => https://community.logos.com/forums/p/148421/923667.aspx#923667

Working offline can have spinning beach balls for network syncing (spinning while waiting for network timeout), which is puzzling and frustrating. Hence have learned to change program setting Use Internet to No for offline use. Only use online when have reliable network.

From some crashes using older beta releases, have Program settings open to blank layout, which allows different layout to be opened, ...

Thankful Logos 7.10 is usable on a 2011 MacBook Air (albeit consistent quicker response would be appreciated).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2062
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 12:01 PM

My library has grown to medium size.  I have fast computers with SSD and run Logos on 3 primary computers. Slow is the name of the game.   Under ideal circumstances (Indexing up to date, other unknown) Logos can be fairly snappy.  But that is rare.  

I would be so happy to forgo 1000 bells and whistles that rarely get used  and just have the basics run fast.  

Or, as I have requested a few times, have a basic mode for beginners and those times I just want speed.  90% of the time (?) I use Logos, I am not doing some fancy searches nor do I need 30 resources open.  I just want a very simple search to happen in a hurry.  Logos--please give me that!     

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 12:07 PM

Larry Neat Matthews:

Right now my MacBook pro has a twirling circle indicating background activity, it has been going on for more than five minutes. This activity has become normal.
Normally I use a Windows 10 HP with i7 processor and 16G of RAM with the same result.

Are you running off SSD's or physical hard disk drives? I made the switch to SSD two years ago when I was sure the technology was stable. On the other hand, if this delay happened only recently it might help to post some specifics about versions, or logs.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 2:16 PM

Larry Neat Matthews:

As someone else asked, do you have an SSD in that computer? I have a similar set-up with an SSD and it is very quick. I have a Windows 10 laptop similarly configured but with a Zeon Mobile processor instead of an i7. It's a bit slower, but just fine.

To investigate further you could supply diagnostic logs as KS4J suggested. Enable permanent diagnostic logging on one of your computers, restart Logos and let it run for 10 minutes, then attach the logs to a new post here.

It is possible there is a simple solution, and the logs would be the way to discover that.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 4:31 PM

Larry Neat Matthews:

Is it me?
Is it my computers?
Or is it the software?
Have been using Logos for many years and have a very significant library and investment; it has been greatly beneficial for years.
Recently my computers struggle with the software.
I seem to constantly be jumping from one platform to the other in hopes of being able to get something done.
Often I have to resort to the Logos Bible Software App on my iPad so I can at least read; although that is not a good study and research environment.
Is anyone else victim of this situation?
If you have suffered through this how did you overcome the problem?
I'm about at the end of my wits; I don't have time for this.
In the meantime my MacBook is still twirling it's little thinking cap trying to open a screen layout.

I too normally use a Windows 10 machine (ASUS laptop) with a newish, but lower end i7 and 16 Gig of RAM.  I am using an SSD, so if you're not, that would likely make a difference, but I never experience the delays you describe--nothing even close.  I also use a home-built desktop I put together about 5 years ago with an inexpensive AMD processor, 8 Gig of RAM, and a standard HDD.  The desktop is definitely slower than the newer laptop, but even with the desktop, I don't recall ever having response times as bad as what you are experiencing. 

It is curious that you're having such significant response time problems on both your Mac and Windows systems.  I don't think I would be able to tolerate response times that slow.  I would encourage you to provide your logs as others have suggested.

Posts 10
Larry Neat Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 7:31 AM

Went to Best Buy recently to buy SSD;s and was informed they would not physically fit into my machine. I take that with a grain of salt but have not had time to do the necessary research.

Also, I am a Retired Marine pastoring a small destitute church; if I wasn't getting retirement pay I would not be able to afford to pastor (being a preacher is expensive) so computer upgrades are difficult to come by.

Posts 10
Larry Neat Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 7:32 AM

Enable permanent diagnostic logging on one of your computers,

I don't know how to do that.

Posts 10
Larry Neat Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 7:34 AM

Both of the machines are old with spinning hard drives.

Don't know how to do logs.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 7:50 AM

Larry Neat Matthews:

Enable permanent diagnostic logging on one of your computers,

I don't know how to do that.

Keep Smiling for Jesus had a link to click on that shows you how to enable diagnostic logging on the Mac.

This link takes you to the instructions for the PC.

I am sorry that you cannot get your work done. Logos 7 had some enhancements that seemed to make it faster not slower than Logos 6 for many users, so I am skeptical that it is Logos 7 alone that is the problem.

Unfortunately Logos has always required a lot of computing power to run well.

You should be able to get an SSD for your desktop computer. Don't know about your Mac. Upload some logs before you spend money.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 10
Larry Neat Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 8:07 AM

Certainly don’t mean to sound defeatist and am grateful for your help but am limited to laptops; desktop died a horrible death about three years ago and there is no replacement money. 

That gave me some heartburn toward HP. 

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 8:17 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood. It should be possible to put an SSD in an older Windows laptop, but depending on what level of SATA it supports, you might not get as much bang for you buck.

Upload the logs.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1842
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 8:39 AM

Larry Neat Matthews:
I am a Retired Marine pastoring a small destitute church

Thank you for your service to our country and more importantly for your service to the King of Kings. The Lord fully sees things done in obscurity.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 17974
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 8:53 AM

Larry Neat Matthews:
Certainly don’t mean to sound defeatist and am grateful for your help but am limited to laptops

Understand laptop limit. The web site I Fix It has repair guides that show the steps for physically replacing storage devices. Laptops with hard disk usually can be upgraded to Solid State Disk (SSD). Personally look for SSD with write speed above 500 MB/sec. Replacing hard drive in an older MacBook Pro was tedious for removal and replacement of three dozen screws.

Apple has Disk Utility, which can be used to copy disk partitions. Recommend booting up Mac from USB or internet to run Disk Utility (not from one of the storage devices).

For Windows, have used Clonezilla to clone disks, which included disk id.

On a 2011 MacBook AIr, have reduced number of Logos 7 spinning beach balls (caused by network sync waits) by changing program settings Use Internet to No. Changing network OR moving laptop to an area without network access provides sync issue opportunities.

Caveat: when working offline, do not have access to => Online Only features (albeit like faster response: e.g. scroll down in a resource does not wait for network sync to send location change and cause spinning cursor that interrupts reading while waiting for Faithlife server to respond).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 235
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 12:29 PM

Hi Larry, you can read most all of your resources using the web version of Logos as well.  Point a web browser at app.logos.com and take a look!  The web app has really been coming along the last few years and can definitely work for less strenuous reading/study.

RE: SSD, if you have any relatives/friends who work in I/T, or who have built their own systems for gaming, you might want to ask them if they could help you with an upgrade.  It's been my experience that notebooks in particular seem to benefit greatly going from a mechanical HDD to an SSD.  Upgrading to an SSD on a desktop is terrific, it's just that on a notebook, the performance leap seems more dramatic, and the upgrades in heat/noise/battery life also factor in to a greatly improved experience.  SSDs are also more durable than their 2.5" mechanical counterparts in a portable situation as well.

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 19 2017 5:39 PM

Larry Neat Matthews:

Went to Best Buy recently to buy SSD;s and was informed they would not physically fit into my machine. I take that with a grain of salt but have not had time to do the necessary research.

Perhaps they meant that they could not ADD another SSD to your laptop. Replacements are usually an option.

If you'd like, let me have your Mac and Windows laptop model numbers (be as specific as you can: check the labels or System Preferences). I'll check if there are any SSD options available.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS