I admit it, I urgently need help on sermon topic?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:03 AM

Good day, co-followers of the Lord, Jesus Christ.

I am a pastor in our beloved country South Africa which has suffered enormous turmoil the last month or so. The past week was very bad, with the brutal killing of a political leader on his farm last Saturday. Then you have probably rad/heard about the BBC reporter which was sweared at and eventually chased out by the youth leader of the ANC. All off this caused the unbalanced race tension to grow even bigger. You can read more here: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica

Now, I know that God must have a special message for us in sunny South Africa. I have read and listened and prayed the last couple of days about tomorrow's sermon and I feel that I must talk about something like: "Don't loose focus", Hebr 12:1-3 or maybe Hebr 11 about faith in our God. When saying this as possible themes, I don't want to make as if nothing had happened and that we all live happily ever after.

Won't you please pray and listen with me to hear what God wants his people to hear? I have already preached on Jeremiah 18 earlier this year about building a new future and that we must pray for our country.

Sincere regards,

Deon

Johannesburg, South Africa

Posts 3768
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:19 AM

Deon:

You will be in my prayers as I work on my own sermon for Sunday.  May you experience the Holy Spirits leading as you seek to be faithful to God and to His Word.

Yours because His,

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:23 AM

Deon

Thanks for being so open. Of course, I shall pray … pray for peace, pray for a rebuilding of trust, pray that the Lord may give you a message of comfort and hope. In the past, when I have had to find a message of hope in bleakness I have been drawn to the psalms, in particular Psalms 31, 42, 43 and 46, though there are many others. 

At this time I would commend Psalm 31:24 to you. May its words give you strength and confidence in the Lord at this harrowing and frightening time.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 19228
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:33 AM

Blessings in the name of our Lord, Deon. Just preach Jesus Christ and all else will fall into place in light of Him. If you go into your prep time thinking "I need to preach a sermon that will address this situation we are facing right now," your focus will be on the situation, the stress, your congregation's needs, your hopes for the future of your country, etc. (All important things, I don't mean to belittle them; but they are secondary.) If, on the other hand, you start out with the premise that Jesus Christ is central no matter what happens, and preach from any text that is on your heart, he will ensure that whatever you say will be relevant to the situation. Spend time with Him as you prepare, just being with Him, praying, listening, attentive to his presence, allowing his gift of himself to saturate you, then you will be in the right mindset to hear what the Spirit gives you to preach on as you do the work of preparation.

Revelation is a great book of comfort and endurance for those under pressure precisely because it helps people focus on Christ, his sacrifice, his victory over death, his justice, his concern for the church in times of trial, his charge for how we are to live in spite of it all, his kingship, his promises, and so on.

I will be praying for you. The words of a favorite hymn come to mind for you right now:

Brethren, we have met to worship and adore the Lord our God;
Will you pray with all your power, while we try to preach the Word?
All is vain unless the Spirit of the Holy One comes down;
Brethren, pray, and holy manna will be showered all around.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 4:44 AM

Excellent Rosie, Just excellent. 

"For I resolved to know nothing except Christ and Him crucified..." (1Cor. 2:2)

For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, ” (Ephesians 2:14, NASB95)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 5:11 AM

Rosie,

you took the words right out of my mouth.

May God be glorified in His plans for South Africa...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 5:42 AM

Yeah, excellent responses by all, Deon, have prayed as requested.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 6:56 AM

My Brothers and Sisters in our Lord, Jesus Christ.

For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. (The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996 (electronic ed.) (1 Co 2:2). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.)

Thank you very much for your prayers and wishes. The Lord has shown me 2 Cor 5:7 "We live by faith, not by sight."

It is true, the temptation is always there to put the focus on the problem and not the solution.

I thank thee sincerely. God bless.

Deon

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 7:08 AM

Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesian 3:20-21)

This verse is particularly applicable because it is the in the section where Paul is laying out how the church is made up of former enemies who have been reconciled into one body called to peace. The situation in the early church of Jews and Gentiles (enemies) being made into one body was radical, it was a miracle, much like a church in South Africa so different from the world, that no matter what hatred and violence is going on among the non-Christians, God has made former enemies into one. This seems impossible, but God is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think.

Some beloved brothers in my church just put out an album (gracetempe.org/isix5). Track 13, "I Love Her" (you can listen to it on the album page independently or download the whole album for free) has a sermon excerpt you may find encouraging about how God reconciles enemies together in the church.

I am lifting you up in prayer this morning.  Thank you for sharing your need.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 8:05 AM

Deon Holtzhausen:

My Brothers and Sisters in our Lord, Jesus Christ.

For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. (The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996 (electronic ed.) (1 Co 2:2). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.)

Thank you very much for your prayers and wishes. The Lord has shown me 2 Cor 5:7 "We live by faith, not by sight."

It is true, the temptation is always there to put the focus on the problem and not the solution.

I thank thee sincerely. God bless.

Deon

Amen, I will keep you in my prayers. 

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 8:46 AM
Deon, May our God and Father bless you and His children in South Africa that you may bring comfort, hope, and the reconciling word of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ to those still perishing in bondage to sin.
Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 3:34 AM

Dear all.

Thank you very much for all the prayers and contributions. The sermon went very well and I emphasized Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour. We live by faith and not by sight.

Blessings to your all.

Deon

Posts 5
Onell McCarthy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 4:02 AM

Father in Jesus' name I pray that you open the mind of heart of Deon today to preach by your Holy Spirit what you want them to hear. I pray for SA that you God will use Deon as an instrument of change and of revival during this time. God bless him as he goes through his sermon that you will be glorified today in Jesus' name amen

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:27 AM

Deon Holtzhausen:

Dear all.

Thank you very much for all the prayers and contributions. The sermon went very well and I emphasized Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour. We live by faith and not by sight.

Blessings to your all.

Deon

Praise God

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS