Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 986
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 28 2017 1:54 AM

My renewal has come up and I mostly bought in to get the web app... that's less useful to me now than I had hoped because they never made a decent library browser for it.

Is there any disadvantage to stopping Logos now and just getting 7 bronze to update my feature set from Logos 6? I'm not a fan of faithlife tv and I've seldom found the preview books useful.

What would I be loosing?

Advice appreciated.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 21920
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 2:34 AM

John Goodman:

Is there any disadvantage to stopping Logos now and just getting 7 bronze to update my feature set from Logos 6? I'm not a fan of faithlife tv and I've seldom found the preview books useful.

What would I be loosing?

There are various discussions of this on the forums and it could be worth checking some of those out. But here's some thoughts:

• Logos Now members get additional discounts on certain products - base packages and others. See https://www.logos.com/now-members for some background on this
  • You will get access to new features as they are developed instead of waiting for Logos 8
  • There are some features that are only available by subscription - see https://www.logos.com/compare/feature-sets and compare the "Full Feature Set" (which is the default set you would get with Bronze) and the "Logos Cloud Feature Set" (which is effectively what you get with a Logos Now Subscription. And you'll see that another option is the Extended Feature Set - https://www.logos.com/product/136012/logos-7-extended-feature-set 
    • Some of the features you would lose (comparing the Full Feature Set and Logos Now) are:
      • NT Reverse Interlinear for the CSB
      • Sentence Types of the OT dataset
      • Speech Acts of the OT dataset
      • Lemma in Passage functionality
      • Access to the Morph Query Engine
      • The ability to upload your own media to the Media Tool
      • Parables of the Bible dataset

Hope this helps.

If you do decide to go for Logos 7 Bronze and not renew your Logos Now subscription I recommend purchasing L7 Bronze before your subscription expires to take advantage of the discount Logos Now provides on base package purchases

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 4:48 AM

Graham Criddle:

John Goodman:

What would I be loosing?

There are various discussions of this on the forums and it could be worth checking some of those out. But here's some thoughts:

• Logos Now members get additional discounts on certain products - base packages and others. See https://www.logos.com/now-members for some background on this
  • You will get access to new features as they are developed instead of waiting for Logos 8
  • There are some features that are only available by subscription - see https://www.logos.com/compare/feature-sets and compare the "Full Feature Set" (which is the default set you would get with Bronze) and the "Logos Cloud Feature Set" (which is effectively what you get with a Logos Now Subscription. And you'll see that another option is the Extended Feature Set - https://www.logos.com/product/136012/logos-7-extended-feature-set 
    • Some of the features you would lose (comparing the Full Feature Set and Logos Now) are:
      • NT Reverse Interlinear for the CSB
      • Sentence Types of the OT dataset
      • Speech Acts of the OT dataset
      • Lemma in Passage functionality
      • Access to the Morph Query Engine
      • The ability to upload your own media to the Media Tool
      • Parables of the Bible dataset

Hope this helps.

If you do decide to go for Logos 7 Bronze and not renew your Logos Now subscription I recommend purchasing L7 Bronze before your subscription expires to take advantage of the discount Logos Now provides on base package purchases

Graham, thanks for your input on this.  While I didn't start the thread, I have some of the same questions as John.  I'd like to clarify/confirm though, that while the Feature Set comparison chart does NOT have a Logos Now feature set column, it has essentially the same features as those listed in the Logos Cloud feature set column.  Assuming that's correct, do you know of any Logos web page that would list the differences between the LN and LC features?

Posts 21920
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 5:24 AM

Hi Rick

Apologies - I can see my use of the word "effectively" wasn't very helpful.

Actually Logos Now subscription provides access to all the features listed in the Logos Cloud Feature set - as per https://community.logos.com/forums/p/128822/837191.aspx - it doesn't provide access to the resources you would get with a Logos Cloud subscription.

Hope this helps - and sorry for any confusion

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 7:57 AM

John Goodman:
Advice appreciated.

My 2¢- I believe in owning resources, but I am fine with renting features. My primary usage of Logos is as a research library... I want to be able to search ALL of my books. If I can no longer afford to rent, I am ok with losing the features. If this is your philosophy, it is much cheaper to be a Logos Now subscriber than to purchase the features. Additional benefits & discounts on top of what would be included with the purchase of a feature set really make it a good deal. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 10:14 AM

Personally, I always felt the need to buy a package when there was a version change, i.e. Logos 6 to Logos 7, just to get all the new features. With Logos Now I no longer feel the pressure and can decide on purchases without any compulsion as I will always be on the latest version of Logos.

Considering  the additional perks and discounts and I feel there is value in the subscription.

Posts 986
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 10:29 AM

Thanks for thoughts folks - I'm minded to think it is a good way to keep current features when I'm not especially minded to buy a large book bundle. After a careful look at the bundles there isn't one I'm keen on within my budget;)

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 10:41 AM

John Fidel:
Personally, I always felt the need to buy a package when there was a version change, i.e. Logos 6 to Logos 7, just to get all the new features. With Logos Now I no longer feel the pressure and can decide on purchases without any compulsion as I will always be on the latest version of Logos.

I agree and part of the problem is that the base packages have less and less what I want or need because I have been building my library for 15+ years now.  

Logos Now is a great compromise to get the latest software features and access to the datasets, without having to buy more books... though you could not tell from my wish list that I have cut back on buying books... but really I have! :)

Getting a free book a month is kind of cool too and I have added a few things that were nice to get, but probably would not have spent money on.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 12:21 PM

I agree, I say renew it, it is the best deal

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 1 2017 1:30 AM

Same here and I decidet to run out and check if I realy miss Features. You know have Tons of Features you don't use does not makes sence for me

Posts 3662
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 1 2017 11:22 AM

John Goodman:

Thanks for thoughts folks - I'm minded to think it is a good way to keep current features when I'm not especially minded to buy a large book bundle. After a careful look at the bundles there isn't one I'm keen on within my budget;)

In addition, you'd lose the LN Free book every month. Those are permanently added to our libraries. One book each month. There's a thread in this forum about it. For me, that was the "deal clencher" that caused me to keep renewing.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 12:01 PM

As a former software developer and software/platform as a service cloud user)I am used to purchasing tools (especially editors) on a subscription basis.

The $99 gives me the newest feature set plus a free book of the month and those two things make it worth while to me. Any Now members discounts are just icing on the cake.

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 12:08 PM

Marshall Harrison:
The $99 gives me the newest feature set plus a free book of the month and those two things make it worth while to me. Any Now members discounts are just icing on the cake.

Agree! I'm renewing

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 6:18 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Rick

Apologies - I can see my use of the word "effectively" wasn't very helpful.

Actually Logos Now subscription provides access to all the features listed in the Logos Cloud Feature set - as per https://community.logos.com/forums/p/128822/837191.aspx - it doesn't provide access to the resources you would get with a Logos Cloud subscription.

Hope this helps - and sorry for any confusion

I'm wondering if new features, data sets, and other items have been added to the Logos Cloud feature set that are not included in the Logos Now subscription.  I am a Logos Now member, but when I look at the list of Cloud features, it has a total of 24 entries it says I don't own.  I did check my Logos installation for one of them and it wasn't listed, so I assume the Feature Set page is correct in showing them as not owned.

Posts 21920
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 6:46 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
, it has a total of 24 entries it says I don't own

I see the same

Rick Ausdahl:
I did check my Logos installation for one of them and it wasn't listed, so I assume the Feature Set page is correct in showing them as not owned.

From a quick scan down the list I thought I had access to them all so assumed the comparison page was wrong!

Which one did you check and found you didn't have?

Posts 358
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 9:04 AM

Graham Criddle:

Rick Ausdahl:
, it has a total of 24 entries it says I don't own

I see the same

Rick Ausdahl:
I did check my Logos installation for one of them and it wasn't listed, so I assume the Feature Set page is correct in showing them as not owned.

From a quick scan down the list I thought I had access to them all so assumed the comparison page was wrong!

Which one did you check and found you didn't have?

Rick and Graham, 

I think you are looking at features like Lemma in Passage, and new (i.e., post-7.0) datasets like Sentence Types of the OT.

If you are a Now member, you DO have access to everything in the Cloud Feature Set. The reason the chart marks them as "not owned" is that you have a temporary/subscription license. The comparison chart runs on the same back-end technology we use for calculating your dynamic price, which only takes into consideration whatever you've purchased as a permanent license. 

I agree that this is a bit confusing on the comparison chart; it would be ideal to differentiate between "owned" and "rented" (or "subscribed," or whatever term we would want to use). We'll look into how difficult this would be for us to add. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 21920
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 9:28 AM

Hi Adam

Thanks for that - makes sense

The one entry that seems strange is the LXX RI - I have bought the Extended feature set

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 10:34 AM
Personally I don't think you lose a thing by not renewing and I like your idea about going with bronze I believe I did something very similar and I was not regretful. Merry Christmas and God-bless you and all your resources.
Posts 358
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 10:45 AM

Graham Criddle:
The one entry that seems strange is the LXX RI - I have bought the Extended feature set

Well, that is strange. In fact, I can see from your account that you have owned LES RVI since your Logos 6 upgrade. We'll look into it. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 21920
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 2:26 PM

Thanks Adam

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS