A Message for Mark Barnes

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 715
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 28 2017 4:23 PM

Okay, I'm sorry if this breaks forum rules but I don't have your email (probably safer that way or I might accidentally stalk you! LOL)

Anyway, today I am working on a final paper for the book of Romans and guess what word popped out of my head, through my fingers, and onto my paper without so much of a second thought!

Did you guess?

WHILST!  Yes, I actually used the word whilst!  Do you remember me saying some time ago that I am jealous that you get to use that word because I LOVE that word and wished we used it here in America.  Well, for some reason it just showed up on my paper and it WORKS.  So, it's staying.  My professor will probably think I've been watching too much Pride and Prejudice, Downton Abbey, or the BBC channel, but I don't care.

Whilst...it's a great word!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

www.cynthiafeenstra.net

Posts 8974
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 4:54 PM

Whilst you are waiting for a reply from the other Mark, I shall take this opportunity to use the word as well. Wink

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 877
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 5:03 PM

Cynthia in Florida:
WHILST!  Yes, I actually used the word whilst!  Do you remember me saying some time ago that I am jealous that you get to use that word because I LOVE that word and wished we used it here in America.

I use it here in America - but I am English Big Smile

My wife loves it too - but she pronounces it with an extra syllable "while-est" , probably because she's from South Georgia and adds an extra syllable to lots of things Big SmileBig Smile

Posts 8974
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 5:10 PM

David Carter:
probably because she's from South Georgia and adds an extra syllable to lots of things

Why yeyes that probably explains it. Charming, isn't she?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 882
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 7:54 PM

David Carter:

probably because she's from South Georgia and adds an extra syllable to lots of things Big SmileBig Smile

I'm from South Jawjah too (Americus). Im fixin to tell ya the truth, mister. We aint got nary one reason to pronounce us any of them there words with anodder sill-eye-ble. Nope. Just wouldn't be prudent. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 562
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 9:45 PM

I like to pronounce blessed as bless-ed, like a double blessing or a noun.

Dale Heath

Posts 715
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 29 2017 2:41 AM

Myke Harbuck:

David Carter:

probably because she's from South Georgia and adds an extra syllable to lots of things Big SmileBig Smile

I'm from South Jawjah too (Americus). Im fixin to tell ya the truth, mister. We aint got nary one reason to pronounce us any of them there words with anodder sill-eye-ble. Nope. Just wouldn't be prudent. 

Okay, this is seriously funny, if only because I could "hear" it being said exactly like that.  :)

Cynthia

www.cynthiafeenstra.net

Posts 322
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 29 2017 12:54 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

Is that some kind of corruption of the phrase "Wish List?"  Your spell-checker should have caught it.  Wink

Posts 715
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 29 2017 1:39 PM

Brad:

Cynthia in Florida:

Is that some kind of corruption of the phrase "Wish List?"  Your spell-checker should have caught it.  Wink

Witty response Brad!  I wish I could come up with something like that, but wittiness is not one of my spiritual gifts! Big Smile

Cynthia

www.cynthiafeenstra.net

Posts 12710
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 30 2017 4:43 AM

Cynthia in Florida:

I had no idea that 'whilst' was so unusual in the US.

It's falling out of fashion here, too — so much so that a few months ago I added a rule in my grammar checker to reduce my usage of it!

Posts 5746
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 30 2017 8:54 AM

Mark Barnes:

Cynthia in Florida:

I had no idea that 'whilst' was so unusual in the US.

It's falling out of fashion here, too — so much so that a few months ago I added a rule in my grammar checker to reduce my usage of it!

A little too late to start using it then. All I know is that when it comes to accents, I loved my British ex- girlfriend‘s accent. So cool! The funny part was when she spoke cockney 😁 (the british version of redneck). My other favorite accent is my Argentinian girlfriend’s accent; mainly from Buenos Aires. It’s like having an italian girlfriend that speaks Spanish. My dream girl is one who speaks English with a British accent and speaks Spanish with an Argentinian accent; then I’d be able to have the best of both worlds in one woman 👍😁👌 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS