BECNT John's Gospel

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 7 2017 3:56 PM

Abram K-J:
I get stuck when the conversation moves to whether or not (repeated, sustained) "plagiarism" can be accidental. Quotation marks and sourcing don't just fall out, and I don't see how scholars of this renown can (systematically, repeatedly) forget to put them in in the first place. For one or two instances, maybe, but widespread?

Apparently you've never had a graduate assistant nor have you worked with research notes that are more than 20 years old, or you would see how these errors can happen.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 8 2017 7:15 AM

Doc B:

Abram K-J:
I get stuck when the conversation moves to whether or not (repeated, sustained) "plagiarism" can be accidental. Quotation marks and sourcing don't just fall out, and I don't see how scholars of this renown can (systematically, repeatedly) forget to put them in in the first place. For one or two instances, maybe, but widespread?

Apparently you've never had a graduate assistant nor have you worked with research notes that are more than 20 years old, or you would see how these errors can happen.

Well Said Doc Yes

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 8 2017 7:20 AM

Doc B:

research notes that are more than 20 years old

What does the age of the notes have to do with it?

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 8 2017 7:41 AM

Doc B:

Apparently you've never had a graduate assistant...

Nope. Must be nice!

So is the idea that the plagiarism/lack of citation did not first originate with Köstenberger himself but with one of his research assistants?

I was curious so searched ZIBBCNT and Carson's John--the second passage I searched at random had full sentences lifted and (barely) paraphrased without attribution.

Whether it was Köstenberger or a research assistant (who presumably at that level understands how to cite) or whoever else, the idea of "accidental plagiarism" strains credulity for me. Not that that means malicious intent, necessarily, but "accidental" sounds more like something outside of one's control. And citing your sources is easy to control. In a professional research setting, it's the default, so you almost have to make more effort (compared to standard M.O.) not to cite your sources than to cite them... right?

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 8 2017 8:42 AM

Abram K-J:
but "accidental" sounds more like something outside of one's control.

Accidents are not necessarily "outside on one's control." Accidents also happen through someone's carelessness. This is the sense in which accidental is used in cases of unintentional plagiarism.

Perhaps we should borrow a term the US Navy used for unplanned events in weapons systems—inadvertent which the Mac OS Dictionary defines as not resulting from or achieved through deliberate planning. Don't know if the Navy still uses that expression or not, but it seems to describe these cases of unintentional plagiarism. None of this is to diminish the seriousness of these incidents, but merely to acknowledge that they were not intentional events of intellectual theft.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS