Does contacting customer service ever lead to a better price?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1
Nick Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 8 2017 6:55 PM

I have a Baptist Silver base package, and I'm looking at adding Reformed Starter.  If I contact customer service, does it ever lead to receiving a better price?  Is the cost of overlapping material ever taken under reconsideration?

Posts 1028
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 8 2017 7:02 PM

Dynamic pricing is what considers overlap pricing. Contacting customer service sometimes gets you a better price. Not always

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/therealkpang

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 8 2017 7:04 PM

Nick Smith:
Is the cost of overlapping material ever taken under reconsideration?

Yes, always, with no need to call or anything. It's called "dynamic pricing," and it means you don't pay for something you already own.

So, your price for Reformed Starter will already be reduced due to any overlapping material in Baptist Silver.

Nick Smith:
If I contact customer service, does it ever lead to receiving a better price?

You'd probably want to contact Sales instead of Customer Service, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 706
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 11:56 AM

My experience has been that you will not get a better price.  They may help you with product info or a payment plan basically what you see on the website is what you will pay regardless of the amount of your order.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 12:36 PM

My experience is the opposite, but a mystery.

My approach is 'Name your price, no discussion. Not low enough, no deal.'  Ergo, the web price.  Though I guess on Amazon, it bounces badly (as shown by Ben).

But each time Logos calls (I'm on their do-not-contact list), they offer a significant deal. And I bite. I've no idea what the logic is.  The latest was already rock-bottom, so they offered even lower.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 1:49 PM

I used to get good offers from folks semi frequently.

Then everyone I knew was fired (or quit).

Now... I really haven't bought much this year. probably around a hundred bucks.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 4:26 PM

I used to get better prices from calling, and I thought that this was a foolish practice as Logos should reward us for not wasting people-time. Over the last few years, I'm glad to say that the few times that I've talked to a sales rep the prices were the same as what I could get online. 

The times when a sales rep are helpful (in my experience) are about answering questions about products or notifying me of sales on products that I want. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 904
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 4:30 PM

Definitely call and speak to sales.  I was told by an unnamed salesperson there that they are authorized to give up to a 10% discount.  However, the current base package upgrade is a 20% discount, so right this very minute you'd get the best deal by beating the deadline on that 20% deal.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 134
L.D. Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 5:29 PM

Nick Smith:

I have a Baptist Silver base package, and I'm looking at adding Reformed Starter.  If I contact customer service, does it ever lead to receiving a better price?  Is the cost of overlapping material ever taken under reconsideration?

I used to get a discount when calling my sales rep (Dave Kaplan), but tonight I was told that they don't do that anymore. In fact, the person I spoke with seemed to imply that Dave and others were fired for making deals. I hope that's not the case. I guess I have mixed feelings on the subject. On the one hand I understand that everyone should pay the same price, but on the other, I always appreciated the fact that Logos took care of their long time customers who have invested 10, 20, even $30,000 in their software. I don't mean to sound spoiled, but I think I'm going to miss the days when a person's loyalty to a company was recognized.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 6:53 PM

Its one of those situations where it depends on who you talk to and when.

In the past I think they were more free to give discounts than perhaps they are now.

Now its my semi-informed suspicion that they have other requirements that free them to give more, or tie their hands and make them give less in terms of discount.

*shrug*

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 8352
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 7:06 PM

Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn’t.

DAL

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 11 2017 6:10 AM

Last time I called in not only did I not get a lower price or help (it was actually to talk about a high priced prepub I was hoping to find a way to keep) he myopically kept trying to sell me something I could not afford constantly telling me it was the  way he could help me. I finally hung up. I was given some advise on the forums that allowed me to reduce the prepub price to something I could afford by purchasing Anglican portfolio which was also affordable to add into my monthly payment. 

-Dan

Posts 636
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 11 2017 6:38 AM

I certainly won't speak for others experiences, but in my own experience I haven't gotten a lower price by calling in in probably over two years. Each time I inquire about a lower price, I'm told they can't offer me a lower price and then they attempt to up sell me something. Again, just my own experience.

Posts 3308
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 11 2017 6:49 AM

L.D. Young:

Nick Smith:

I used to get a discount when calling my sales rep (Dave Kaplan), but tonight I was told that they don't do that anymore. In fact, the person I spoke with seemed to imply that Dave and others were fired for making deals. I hope that's not the case. I guess I have mixed feelings on the subject. On the one hand I understand that everyone should pay the same price, but on the other, I always appreciated the fact that Logos took care of their long time customers who have invested 10, 20, even $30,000 in their software. I don't mean to sound spoiled, but I think I'm going to miss the days when a person's loyalty to a company was recognized.

Yep I know what you mean- gone from 8k a year to I think this year $200- and have deleted 99% of my prepubs. I have restarted my paper library- say what you will I have saved thousands on books this year and guess what 95% are also now in electronic format in PDF, works for me :).

Posts 279
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 11 2017 2:30 PM

As stated earlier in this thread, the "overlapping material" is taken care of through dynamic pricing. As for contacting sales to get a better price, I have been a customer since 2008 and I have never gotten a better price on a base package from a salesperson beyond their promotional sales i.e. 15% off, 20% off.  However, there have been a number of times when I contacted sales and received fairly significant saving on individual resources / commentary sets that aren't included in any of the base packages.  As recently as 2016, that was still happening. However, I haven't really bought much of anything this year.

Personally, my preference would be that Logos make clear their best prices on the website and have sales people to speak with someone who has questions, etc. In order to take care of loyal customers, they could establish some type of incentive program like some other retailers...spend $1000, get $1000, or get 35% of any one purchase after spending X amount on resources.

Posts 2348
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 11 2017 4:11 PM

Sometimes a real person can help put together a package that is a little better deal overall.  Not necessarily a lower price, but a better package. One time I called, got a very good reduced (actually some goodies thrown in), but fair price, but then the person was immediately let go. I have no idea why, but one might wonder if there is counter-incentive for sales people to offer too good of deals. I suspect Logos doesn't make a huge amount of money per resource.  They earn by selling lots of resources at a relatively small markup.  Logos probably gives us the "sale" price of a greatly value-added product pretty much all the time, but now and then publishers lower their price for a sale, enabling Logos to do the same.  

I don't really know anything, but that is what I suppose.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS