a new way to quickly hyperlink scriptures for L4!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 11 2010 3:03 PM

When programs don't have a certain ability I like to try and create that ability myself using other means.  I am not patient enough to manually hyperlink references in a note file in L4.  If you have 50 references that means you have to manually hyperlink them one at a time and that is too time consuming for me so here is an easier way.  After you follow these steps you will see that all you have to do is create a bible tagged html document from the source you are working with (the one that has all those scripture verses you'd love to be hyperlinked but are not) and then open the tagged html document from within Microsoft Word or Open Office Writer (a free program) and copy the text from within Word or Office Writer and paste it into a notes file and then all the scriptures will be hyperlinked. (You can't just copy the text from the html file.  You have to do so from Word or Writer to make the links active -I don't know why this is so)

1) Download Bible Address Tagging Tool from http://www.spiritandtruth.org/download/tools/index.htm

2) I have attached a simple program that allows you to use this tool in your send to menu.  Place this exe file (Tag Scriptures.exe) in the same directory as the Bible Address Tagging tool after you install it.

3) Create a shortcut to the "Tag Scriptures.exe" file and put the shortcut in your "Send To" directory on your computer (just look up Send To Vista or Sent To XP etc. to get the path name).

Now you are ready to begin tagging.

4) You must create an html file from the document you want to tag.  To do this you will need Microsoft Word or you can use Open Office Writer for free (http://www.openoffice.org/index.html).  Open the document in either of these and save as html.

5) Now you can right click on the html file you've created and then within the "Send To" menu click on Tag Scriptures.  A Dos box will open and just follow the prompts and you will have a document with the same name created with a _BibleTag extension added (it will be in the same directory as the original html document)

6) Open the BibleTagged document in Word or Writer (Word works better) using the "Open With" right click menu (OR you can open the tagged document manually  from within either program).  

7) Copy the text and then paste it into a note file in L4

8) Now all you have to do is do a ctrl-click with the mouse and the scriptures will open in L4.

All this can be simplified and in fact I am working on a few new toys that will do just that and much more but I need some more time to get these programs ready to put out there. 

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 3:07 PM

I just realized I forgot to attach the exe file but now realize that I can't attach such a file in this forum or am I wrong?

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 3:10 PM

Just zip the file and then attach it.  :-)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 3:32 PM

Thanks!  I'll send it right away.

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 3:35 PM

OK.  I've zipped it up and her it goes!1106.Tag Scriptures.zip

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 3:21 PM

TimEngwer:

OK.  I've zipped it up and her it goes!

May I suggest that you copy-and-paste the instructions that you gave in your initial post into either a FILE_ID.DIZ file or a simple plain text file then place inside the zip? That way those who come into the fold months from now will find it but not necessarily find the original post.

Just a thought.

God bless

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 5:28 PM

Here is the Tag Bible with instructions.5460.Tag Bible.zip

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS