I hope Logos will allow L4 resource location to be more flexible.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 681
Jim | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:24 AM

I've never liked the way Microsoft encourages programs to embed user data into their operating system. It is one of the reasons that adding disk space, finding and modifying user data as well as upgrading operating systems is such an unnecessary pain. It might be better if all software vendors used the same convention for where they store data, but they don't seem to. I realize that to some extent it's unavoidable. I guess most user's don't care, but I like to have most of my data in a clearly separate directory or drive partition that is easily moved and/or backed-up independent from the operating system.

I appreciate that L3 allowed me a choice over where my resources were stored. However L4 does not. It may be a moot point for many, especially those who have very large hard drives, but my son is overseas, has a small internal hard drive that may by difficult to replace. We may want to get him an external drive and have L4 resources stored there. But alas that doesn't seem possible.

If it is please let me know. Otherwise I'd like to ask that Logos consider allowing a configurable resource location.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 8:37 AM

Jim, the actual software is about 91 MB. The remainder is Documents (c. 4 MB to ??)  and Data.

Data comprises indexes c. 4 GB - 10 GB and resources c. 8 GB to 20 GB -  all depending on number of resources.

I share your philosophy of backup which is why I choose a custom installation to a data partition, say E:\  and backup the E:\Logos4 folder   -> why quibble about 90 MB of software when the installation is mainly data and all in one folder. Others have successfully installed to an external drive - it's just a matter of assigning the drive its own letter so it will not vary with movement of other removable drives. But access will be (much) slower than a fixed HD.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 12:31 PM

Jim McDaniel:
Logos consider allowing a configurable resource location

Yes

Posts 27
Wonderer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2010 3:58 PM

Great! ... I hope they add this soon.  *I had to cancel the latest update on my netbook due to lack of space.*  It runs the program fine (in fact, the main reason I bought the netbook Tablet PC is for running the software), but needed 1GB free space for a single update!  These turned out to be just temporary files, but I had to temporarily uninstall other software to have enough memory to complete the update.  If I could save my resources to a SDHC card (as I did on the netbook before upgrading to L4), I would have plenty of space!

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2010 5:37 PM

I must agree that something needs to be done about flexibility on location - I have an HP laptop less than a year old, on which I created a partition for the sole use of Logos 4.   Already I am stuck as the partition has only 6GB free space and this is no longer sufficient to allow Logos 4 to re-index.   So already I cannot add new books and must rebuild the index from scratch each time a current book is updated.   Just allowing Logos 4 to use a different drive for temporary space while rebuilding the index would solve the immediate problem.  The hardware will not allow me to increase the partition size so any other solution is more difficult.

Posts 27
Wonderer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 22 2010 6:01 AM

Quick update... I have freed up 3GB of space, but I continue to recieve a message that says

"Logos Bible Software 4 has stopped indexing your library because here is insuficient free disk space.  Please check that you have at least 1 GB of free space avavailable. then restart Logos 4 to continue."

I am sure there is a temporary solution to help me get through this now, but even with that, I expect to have this problem from now on with each update (unless I uninstall nearly *all* other programs.... I have already tripled the requested free space on a very small computer - having more flexibility for storing recourses would be an absolute life saver right about now.

For now, I'll just turn off the updates - I love this software, use it daily, recommend it to friends & family, and hope they include this option soon.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 22 2010 6:22 AM

As a temporary solution, try the "Rebuild index" command, this deletes your existing index and builds a new one from scratch (Takes a VERY long time but seems to be the only alternative) - otherwise you need a VAST amount of temporary space to allow Logos 4 to index new books and integrate them into your existing index (which it seems it can currently only do on the same disk volume to which Logos 4 is installed).   (For my collection, it cannot consolidate in the available 6GB free space, but it does seem to be able to rebuild from scratch in about 16 hours).

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 22 2010 8:45 AM

Travis:
and hope they include this option soon

DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH!

We were told during the beta testing period that Logos did this deliberately as an '"anti-theft" software decision.  (And if I ever get my hands on that kid who was selling his Libronix key to his fellow seminary students...) Anyways, there was NO indication that they were about to change such a fundamental re-design of a deliberate new organizing principle.

PERIOD.

The only trouble was, back when this was originally being designed Logos admit that they did not forsee the phenomenal popularity of "netbooks."  Now folks are really stuck (unless like some on these forums, they are excellent programmers and can "fake" out the computer to think it is really still "C" drive's "Documents and Settings.")

I have read most of the threads related to this. I've seen nothing indicating that Logos is about to change this HORRIBLE DECISION. (YES, I'm shouting!)

Of all the "unique" things about Logos 4 this is the one I HATE THE MOST!!! (I, too, have already had to take it off of a so-called smaller "windows" drive and re-format).

(I've used Logos since 2.0 days).

And as it is the biggest and best program going, for me, there is no other choice. Maybe in 5 years when Logos 5 comes out they will re-consider?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 22 2010 9:12 AM

It's easy enough in Windows to create a symbolic link from one folder to another. This allows you to change your Logos 4 resources folder on the fly, and then simply update the symbolic link to it. I've done this several times. You can even download a free shell extension which enables you to do this transparently through the Windows Explorer UI.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 27
Wonderer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2010 9:48 AM

Thanks for the idea; I'll give that a try!

Before I try that, however, I first want to make sure that Logos hasn't already made available one of the potential work-a-rounds that I've been trying.

(1) I use L4 consistently on two separate computers. Is there a way to take the updated "index fileSleep" from my larger computer, copy them to a USB key, and manually paste it/them onto my netbook? (ie: have the larger computer do the work, then sync the results)

--OR--

(2) Is there a way to have only select resources even installed on the netbook? (...increase space on my hard-drive while decreasing the space needed for indexing)  I was actually trying to do this when I originally installed the program (transferring selected books via SDcard), but the first time I "signed in", it downloaded everything.

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2010 10:12 AM

Travis:
(1) I use L4 consistently on two separate computers. Is there a way to take the updated "index fileSleep" from my larger computer, copy them to a USB key, and manually paste it/them onto my netbook? (ie: have the larger computer do the work, then sync the results)

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

NB if doing an update (after download/index) skip the install step as long as the L4 versions are still the same.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2010 10:22 AM

Travis:
(2) Is there a way to have only select resources even installed on the netbook? (...increase space on my hard-drive while decreasing the space needed for indexing)  I was actually trying to do this when I originally installed the program (transferring selected books via SDcard), but the first time I "signed in", it downloaded everything.

The trick is that all resources have to be installed so you can hide them and then the netbook has to be offline, but you save anywhere from 3 to 10+ GB of space by NOT indexing on the netbook (the max saved is the size of your Bible index + Library index).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 373
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2010 2:29 PM

Jim:
Logos consider allowing a configurable resource location.

Yes yes.

Posts 9
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 7:32 PM

+1 on this. Has this been covered more recently elsewhere.

I would really like to simply specify a path. I need to do a new post on my more specific setup anyway.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 7:44 PM

Kent:
I would really like to simply specify a path. I need to do a new post on my more specific setup anyway.

You might look here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24948/214913.aspx

Logos does not support this so any consequences would be yours to deal with, but others have apparently had success.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS