Repeated words resource or tool?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 12 2010 8:01 AM

I was just wondering if there is a resource or an L4 feature to quickly get a list of repeated words (and there count) within a specific Bible book?

And perhaps one that shows running themes / subjects throughout a book of the Bible?

Just looking for some way to generate a quick reference.

Thanks

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 9:19 AM

yeah was looking for that myself, I dont think feature is in L4 yet

heres my work around which will generate a list of all words in (pasted) text [ file removed - see below]

its basic but fuctional.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 9:29 AM

Thanks Dominic, it is very basic, but does work.

Just for grins, I ran the book of Galatians throught it and got this result of top words:

50 Christ
52 who
56 is
62 that
81 I
81 in
82 and
90 of

Almost seems profound...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:16 AM

Paul, oops,  I never intended it to be used on such a large chunk... its original limitations were 1000 unique words, only small chunks, I hadnt accounted for more than 100 repetitions per word.

It will now handle 6000 unique words, and up to 999 repetitions. 1104.WordFrequency 2 up to 6000 unique words.zip

You may wish to rerun those results, I think you will see a few extra words.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:31 AM

I see, Thanks.

050 Christ
052 who
056 is
062 that
081 I
081 in
084 and
090 of
104 you
130 To
230 the

Bad grammar, but could still be considered profound...

Posts 26595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 5:19 PM

DominicM:
yeah was looking for that myself, I dont think feature is in L4 yet

It's not in L4, but does your comment "yet" imply it has been requested eg. on uservoice?

It could be implemented as a Search feature eg. Search Word-count in Book of ESV

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 5:33 PM

Dave Hooton:
It could be implemented as a Search feature eg. Search Word-count in Book of ESV

What would be really neat is to be able to search by part of speech also eg. Search Word-count:noun in Book of ESV

It seems possible to implement since the words are already tagged for the interlinear.

Posts 26595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:13 PM

Paul Golder:

What would be really neat is to be able to search by part of speech also eg. Search Word-count:noun in Book of ESV

It seems possible to implement since the words are already tagged for the interlinear.

Carrying that a little further, Word-count could a type of Search within Basic, Bible and Morph like Search (while typing) eg.

Count [All Text | Field | Highlighted] in [All Passages | Chapter | Verse List] in [Resource | Collection] for

[All | Morphology]

Where Highlighted words, Fields and Verse (Passage) Lists are coming with 4.0c. Morphology can be entered in the Find box as normal whilst All words is the default.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:17 PM

it would also be nice to be able to limit it to the top NNN words. This would help us keep the list manageable.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 26595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:21 PM

steve clark:

it would also be nice to be able to limit it to the top NNN words. This would help us keep the list manageable.

Count [All Text | Field | Highlighted] in [All Passages | Chapter | Verse List] in [Resource | Collection] for

[All | NNN | Morphology]

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:54 PM

I think it was in v3 possibly in "Wordlists", but I cant check as I dont have 3 installed any more.

Data is there for the wordle, so maybe just a new section in the passage guide...

I guess the complex stuff line verbs & morph could be done in a search, and then use analysis view to process

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 2:44 AM

Dom,

it seems that doing a straight "@V" morph search on a book and then sorting by chapter and result gets this right?

You could search nouns, and then put it all in an Excel spreadsheet for sorting etc.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 26595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:40 AM

DominicM:
I think it was in v3 possibly in "Wordlists", but I cant check as I dont have 3 installed any more.

Vocabulary Lists provide lemma counts. Word Lists collected words but no counts. Hopefully the L4 implementation will be more flexible, allowing them to be populated with the search criteria I outlined above.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:46 AM

Dave Hooton:

DominicM:

Vocabulary Lists provide lemma counts. Word Lists collected words but no counts. Hopefully the L4 implementation will be more flexible, allowing them to be populated with the search criteria I outlined above.

Yes please. Logos, please consider this a request

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 26595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:51 AM

Robert Pavich:
it seems that doing a straight "@V" morph search on a book and then sorting by chapter and result gets this

We should call you the Analysis (dogBig Smile) wiz.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS