Opinions on Carson's Sermon Archive

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 24 2017 5:54 PM

I'm considering Carson's sermon archive which is on sale until Nov, 27th and would appreciate any forum reviews.  - https://www.logos.com/product/41758/da-carson-sermon-archive

Besides a general evaluation of this package I would like to ask those those who have had this how often you actually use it.

In addition, can someone confirm that the sermons can be listened to off-line? Ideally I would probably be more likely to listen to them while I drive and I just wanted to be sure I can do that.

Thanks in advance.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 156
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 24 2017 8:15 PM

I just bought and downloaded the D. A. Carson Sermon Library. I do not generally read sermons. But Dr. Carson is very good. I've read many of his books. Long before Logos was ever heard of I had a paperback about exegetical fallacies by him that I found very helpful.

Looking at a sermon that is about a passage that I have a great interest in (2 Samuel 7) and reading it for a while just now, Dr. Carson approaches this chapter in a far different way than I did when I expanded the cross references for this chapter in my book, The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, and he did not at all approach this chapter in the detailed way I have now (2016) presented in my newest Bible study tool, The Ultimate Cross Reference Treasury. Most Bible readers know that 2 Samuel 7 forms the core of the Davidic Covenant, so what I have done is to present an extensive listing of the specific provisions of the Davidic Covenant. But Dr. Carson is preaching a sermon--and a very good one at that. The sermon is outlined briefly at its start, and the text is discussed in detail. He gets into the theology of the chapter. The message itself was delivered at a minister's conference in the Autumn of 2004, Workshop #2. In any case, the Table of Contents is detailed enough that I was able to immediately focus upon a passage of special interest to me. At the beginning of the sermon transcript there is a picture of Carson which contains an icon which, when clicked, opens the "D. A. Carson Sermon Library (Media)," and I am at this moment listening to Carson's voice clearly recorded. I don't understand and so cannot tell whether I am using an audio track that is on my computer or is streaming from the Internet, but since there is no "buffering," I think this can be listened to "off line." The audio of the message is very listenable, and hearing it lends a dimension to the sermon text that sheds additional light beyond what I gathered by reading the transcript first.

Now, I cannot tell you how often I would use it, since I just received it. But I have been going through the instructional modules of Camp 1 and Camp 2 by Morris Proctor, and I can tell from just lately completing those, that I should find Dr. Carson's sermons helpful and accessible.

Posts 897
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 24 2017 8:24 PM

I bought the sermon archive this weekend. I read his sermon on Psalm 1. Carson spent a bit of time on the polarity of the psalm and noted it was because it was wisdom literature. Then, he went into a discussion in it about Christ being the ultimate wisdom-preacher.

Posts 8051
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 24 2017 8:42 PM

I've had it since it shipped.  I have used it to gain insight into some popular passages of Scriptures.  The audio and the video are great for me.  I use my own data to watch the videos, but I have not attempted to download the archive to try it offline.

I will say this, the way he treated the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus was outstanding.  I had never thought of it as people trying to justify themselves.  Carson proved this by explaining the background of the parable.  It was amazing.  At one point I used to teach that this parable taught that it was too late to repent after you leave this world, but in reality, as Carson proved, the Rich Man never repented, he was just trying to use his former social status to try to get favors in the after life.  He even tried to correct Abraham's "theology" that people wouldn't believe even if someone went back from the dead to preach to them.  It was quite an eye opener! I have "corrected" some of my conclusions/lessons and some have remained the same.

How often will you use the sermons it's up to you, but you have a goldmine with Carson.  Sometimes you'll agree with him, sometimes you'll disagree, but you will always learn something. Take advantage of this great deal if you can!

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 776
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 24 2017 10:24 PM

There is some duplication.  But there is a wide mix of subject matter.  I listened to his lecture on worldview and got a lot out of it.  He tends to revisit the topic of postmodernism often.

I really liked the lecture on hermeneutics.  The content is very interesting, but the audio quality is lacking with a whistling sound in the background.  However, the content is so good that I continued to listen.  I will probably review the material by reading the transcript to save the annoyance.

If I were a pastor, I would think that the series on expository preaching and the workshop with examples would be a must.  It is one of his passions as the president of The Gospel Coalition.  Not being a pastor, I will probably still listen in.

I "downloaded" both the transcripts and the media resource to my iPad so that both had filled in circles; i.e., they were "downloaded".  I expected to be able to listen offline, but when I took my iPad off the wifi network, the audio would not play.  I suspect I would get the same result from an Android device using the Logos mobile application.

I performed the same experiment with my Windows PC.  In the Library it is listed as a "Media Collection".  There is a "Download all media" control on the resource information drop down.  I had not noticed this type of option on other audios, but I verified it is also present on my John Frame lecture resource.  I told it to download the media.  After about an hour (seeing no indication that anything was being downloaded), I disconnected from wifi.  This time I was able to play the audio.

So, if you are depending on a mobile app, it probably won't work.  But if you are trying to listen from your laptop, it probably will work.

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 25 2017 5:34 AM

Thank you all for taking time to express your comments and opinions. I have many volumes from Carson and have appreciated him as an author over the years.

David A Egolf:
So, if you are depending on a mobile app, it probably won't work.
If that is the case I don't think I would use it as much. As I said above, what I really would like to do is to listen to them while I travel. As a result I'm still a bit torn as to what I will decide.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 25 2017 8:08 AM

It would be interesting, in any series like this that spans several decades, to see whether one can trace an evolution of views and emphases on the author's part. Skills, knowledge, and experience should also build up and (hopefully) add up over time.

Posts 776
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 25 2017 10:01 AM

My Logos crashed this morning and I got a pop-up from Windows 10 telling me I was out of disk space.  Apparently, downloading all the Carson sermons took my last 13 GB of disk space leaving me with less than a GB.  I used the "Delete downloaded media" control and immediately got my 13 GB back.  I also deleted the media on the John Frame lectures and got just over a GB back.

I suspect that as you listen to an audio, it is downloaded and left on your hard drive.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 25 2017 11:14 AM

David A Egolf:
My Logos crashed this morning and I got a pop-up from Windows 10 telling me I was out of disk space.  Apparently, downloading all the Carson sermons took my last 13 GB of disk space leaving me with less than a GB.  I used the "Delete downloaded media" control and immediately got my 13 GB back.  I also deleted the media on the John Frame lectures and got just over a GB back.

When I buy a course, I want to use the transcript only.  Would ''delete downloaded media'' get the audio + video off my computer?

Exactly how would I go about this?  Would I have to remove each desired deletion separately, or would I remove them all at once with ''delete downloaded media?''

Posts 776
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 25 2017 11:51 AM

It sure doesn't make sense to me.  I have verified that "Delete downloaded media" did result in getting disk space back for the Carson sermons.

So after reading your post, I opened a Witherington course that where I had viewed a couple of videos.  Pressing the "Delete downloaded media" resulted in a slight increase of disk space usage!  So I am at a loss about how it works.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 25 2017 12:22 PM

David, thank you for giving it a shot.

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 25 2017 9:26 PM

So let me ask the question another way. Could I download one or two sermons to listen on my iPhone without having to download them all?

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 26 2017 8:47 PM

Bruce Dunning:

So let me ask the question another way. Could I download one or two sermons to listen on my iPhone without having to download them all?

Bump

Posts 26
mc | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 12:21 PM

I don't know about iphone. I have not been able to download individual sermons with Android phone, had to download the whole thing (transcripts. the media files does not appear to be downloaded and needs internet to stream)  Playback also has not worked well on the android phone. Crashes often.

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 7:21 PM

I was hoping for some better news or at least some news that I could listen to these off-line. I have a few hours to finally decide before the deal expires.

Posts 1028
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 7:48 PM

You can just get it and return it if it doesn’t fit you needs!

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/therealkpang

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 8:03 PM

Keith Pang:

You can just get it and return it if it doesn’t fit you needs!

Keith, thanks for the reminder. I've known that for years but seldom have returned anything as I usually like to do my research first. I've not yet decided what I will do.

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 9:06 PM

Well Keith, I finally decided to follow your advice and just see for myself. I hope I don't end up returning it but that is always an option.

Thanks,

Posts 1104
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 9:22 PM

Bruce 

I think you will be happy and find no need to return it, I know that I am.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 1028
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 10:04 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Well Keith, I finally decided to follow your advice and just see for myself. I hope I don't end up returning it but that is always an option.

Thanks,

I think you'll enjoy it Bruce! 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/therealkpang

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS