Logos 4 Original Languages User: Is It Really Worth Upgrading to 7?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 6
Jonathan Potter | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 26 2017 10:40 AM

I purchased the Logos 4 Original Languages package back in 2010. I've since added a number of resources to my library, mainly focused on study of Greek and Hebrew texts. I still use the software frequently and have installed the Logos 6 software engine. It mostly serves my purposes for studying early Jewish and Christian texts in the ancient languages. I still haven't entirely figured out how to use Syntax searches, but that's a separate issue. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether it it really worth it for someone in my position to upgrade to 7. The Bronze package doesn't really add enough books that look worth it for me, so it really seems to come down to the full feature set of Logos 7. I haven't thus far been able to get a clear and concise answer on what exact features I would gain. I was at SBL in Boston last week and could have upgraded for a great price, but I ended up just putting my money towards more texts and lexical resources. The one new feature, still only in Logos Now, that I am aware of that really looks helpful is the Morph Query. But I'm not sure that alone justifies a Logos Now subscription. So, for studying ancient Jewish and Christian texts in Hebrew and Greek, is there anything really useful that I'm missing? Thanks for any ideas you all have. 

Posts 21916
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 26 2017 11:39 AM

Jonathan Potter:
I still use the software frequently and have installed the Logos 6 software engine

As a minimum I would upgrade to Logos 7 Basic - it's free, it provides the updated engine, some new capabilities and is supported. It is available at https://www.logos.com/product/136022/basic 

In terms of capabilities that you would gain with the Full Feature Set you are looking at things like:

With a Logos Now subscription you also get

Jonathan Potter:
So, for studying ancient Jewish and Christian texts in Hebrew and Greek, is there anything really useful that I'm missing?

Not my area of study but thought the above could be potentially useful features to consider.

Posts 2310
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 26 2017 11:52 AM

Have a look at the current sale of the L7 Essentials upgrade. https://community.logos.com/forums/t/154644.aspx

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 7:01 AM

Jonathan,

Personally, I've found the Morph Query Builder to be a great addition. The ability to work in the LXX as well as the NT / OT is wonderful as are things you just can't do from the Logos command line like specifying agreement betweem words in a query. I've been able to justify my Now subscription based on that functionality alone. I'm still hopeful that we'll see the texts we can query using the Morph Query Builder expand; I'm looking for resources like Joesphus, Philo and perhaps even some early church fathers to eventually be included. The syntactic force tagging, though sometimes representing classification choices I'd quibble about, can be really helpful when considering syntax options and questions of particular writers and their unique "style" markers. I make more use than I would have thought of the basic Person tags; it allows be a finer level of granularity than I've been able to experience using morph queries alone. 

Working in the original languages meant that I was really conditioned towards morph searching so syntax searching was a totally new idea for me. Over time I've developed a deep appreciation for the insites that syntax searches can open up in the text. I find a lot of expertise on the forums and I've learned by simply asking questions.

I do think you would find a Logos Now subscripton money well spent. You might also consider the Verbium Advanced Search Training by Rosen and Dalton. I learned a lot about combining various tags together. I purchased it as a pre-pub, but even at $99, its money well invested.

Posts 244
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 7:22 AM

additionaly, I personnally love the ancient literature dataset. Which gives me a quick overview of ancient references and themas linked to Bible texts. Even though the thematic matches a generally to rough to use, the quotes are very interesting.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 29 2017 5:03 AM

I'm so lost here. 

But my interests are around the Book of Acts, Paul's missionary journeys and the early church up to the Council of Nicea times.

I'm curious to any resources you would recommend or tools since you guys seem to be into early manuscripts. 

I started with Logos 3 back n the '90s and added resources that interested me and I now have the standard silver and a Now subscription.

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 29 2017 4:32 PM

Marshall,

Everyone brings a different set of tools and interests to their study. I do fairly traditional grammatical / historical exegesis, preach weekly and do at least one additional bible study every week. For me, I keep up with all the lexical resources, try to balance my commentary sets between some really technical works and some that are more practical. I would agree that the ancient literature dataset is wonderful and quickly suggests the intertexts that need to be considered. The word study tools in Logos are phenomenal as is the analysis view in the search window.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 5:24 AM

Thanks Clint.

That helps. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that buying base libraries is a good start but now that I am at the Silver level I should target individual books or sets that fit my requirements. For example upgrading to Gold would give me 393 resources that I don't currently have and would cost me $636 at todays price. But there are a lot of commentaries and sermons among those books that I don't need. The Ancient Christian Commentary on Acts and the Anchor Yale Dictionary would be cheaper and do me more good. Its the whole "quality not quantity" paradigm.

Thanks again.

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 5:33 AM

Winner, winner chicken dinner! A base library is a great investment (I'm surprised how often I go wandering into something new and find resources in my library that at least allow me to have some idea about what I'm doing), but I don't upgrade my base library without cause. Way too much filler in the larger base collections. I do find that I expand resources to make use of Logos features. When the ancient literature dataset was released, I added to my collection of background resources knowing they would be used. Faithlife's job is to sell books and services, mine is to steward my resources. Sometimes those two work together well, and sometimes it means wandering off the ranch every now and then.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 7:07 AM

Wow, I finally got something right. LOL

Now I just need to develop a wish list and watch for sales and those resources as free Now books.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS