Suggestion: Option to be notified of an update, which users could later download manually

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 23
Craig Broyles | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 29 2017 2:23 PM

My dependence (perhaps in a clinical sense Big Smile) on Logos software is testimony to its helpfulness and excellence. It has become indispensable to my work as a religious studies professor. But it also means that when there is a hiccup (to put it mildly) in an update (e.g., 7.11.0.0023), it seriously handicaps my teaching and research, and shakes my confidence in future updates. Currently the only option for updates in Program Settings is “Automatically Download Updates” with a yes/no option (along with a time-of-day option). In the future, I would like to have an additional option simply to be notified of the new update. The notification could then include a link where I can download the update and install it on my computer manually. If this option were implemented, I would likely wait 48 hours before installing a new update—after checking the Logos 7 Forum for bug reports. (This is not the first time that I’ve experienced frustration with a Logos update.) I suspect this suggestion has been proposed earlier, but as I’m not a regular reader of the Forums, I apologize if there’s any redundancy. 

Craig Broyles

PS My personal thanks to “Beloved” on the Logos 7 Forum, who provided me with a workaround for the current update, namely not to maximize the Logos window. In addition, I discovered that I need to avoid opening a second copy of the ESV, as this action also causes the updated version to crash. Thanks to him I’m back to work.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 29 2017 2:34 PM

Above sounds like the right approach.

Posts 25112
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 29 2017 4:27 PM

Craig Broyles:
Currently the only option for updates in Program Settings is “Automatically Download Updates” with a yes/no option (along with a time-of-day option).

I wonder if you overlooked the utility of the "no" option? This provides a notification along with the size of the update. You can check this forum for software updates and refuse the download (by doing nothing!) if the size is larger than 150 MB (otherwise it will be resource updates). When ready you can allow the download by clicking on the link.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 23
Craig Broyles | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 29 2017 5:09 PM

OK, I see, but I didn't overlook the utility of the "no" option, because there's no mention of a further utility or notification that the user receives. If I hover over the Help "?," it simply informs me that choosing "No" means "Updates will never be downloaded automatically." If, in fact, it works as you suggest, i.e. providing a notification of an available update, then this needs to be spelled out.

As for the update link, does Logos provide a web page that provides links to current and past updates? I'm not exactly sure how these systems work, but given the frustration I've experienced with 7.11.0.0023 update, it would be nice to download the previous update that was working for me. Thanks for any advice.

Posts 2476
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 29 2017 6:05 PM

A similar suggestion: a sub-option (pulldown?) under Automatically Download Updates: Program and Resources / Program Only / Resources Only

I think this would be easy to implement.

Posts 25112
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 3:37 AM

Craig Broyles:
OK, I see, but I didn't overlook the utility of the "no" option, because there's no mention of a further utility or notification that the user receives. If I hover over the Help "?," it simply informs me that choosing "No" means "Updates will never be downloaded automatically."

It doesn't mean that "updates will never be downloaded" and there is a notification with both options.

Click the blue circle in the toolbar to get an explanation + link for the single (1) notification - in this case. If you hover you will get only the explanation.

You can "Show the Notification Bar" (in Program Settings) and one will appear below the toolbar with both the explanation and the link.

Craig Broyles:
As for the update link, does Logos provide a web page that provides links to current and past updates?

There is a Download Link for the current update. You will (currently) see an announcement for 7.10  but its Download Link is the same i.e. the link location is updated for the current v 7.11. 

There are NO link(s) for previous versions The basic reason is that you have to perform a complete re-installation, otherwise you could get errors that are difficult to understand (assuming you are on Windows)!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS