Searching Inquiry

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 352
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 4 2017 3:53 AM

I've been wrestling with the following searches:

• how to find all passages that speak about an 'unclean animal'? It seems there is no sense for that in the Bible Sense Lexicon. Also <Thing Unclean animal> doesn't give the desired results.
  • how to search for all direct speech (in order to make a visual filter)? This is basically the same as e.g. asking for the visual filter for all words of Jesus in red
Posts 24903
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 4 2017 6:55 AM

Michel Pauw:
how to find all passages that speak about an 'unclean animal'? It seems there is no sense for that in the Bible Sense Lexicon. Also <Thing Unclean animal> doesn't give the desired results.

The Bible Browser - if you have access to it - could help

Michel Pauw:
how to search for all direct speech (in order to make a visual filter)? This is basically the same as e.g. asking for the visual filter for all words of Jesus in red

Discourse attributes could help with this

Posts 352
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 4 2017 7:08 AM

Thanks, great resource, the LDGNT!

Would the opposite also be possible: to mark all the non-reported speech? I tried

NOT <LDGNT = reported speech> and it gives a different set of results, but not what I would expect...

Posts 24903
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 4 2017 9:08 AM

Michel Pauw:

Would the opposite also be possible: to mark all the non-reported speech? I tried

NOT <LDGNT = reported speech> and it gives a different set of results, but not what I would expect...

I've had a quick look but couldn't see any way of doing this.

Hopefully someone else will comment

Posts 19338
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 4 2017 3:30 PM

Michel Pauw:

Appears NOT <LDGNT = reported speech> finds verses with NOT and Reported Speech:

<LDGNT = Sentence> NOT INTERSECTS <LDGNT = Reported Speech>

finds verses that have LDGNT Sentence but do not have LDGNT Reported Speech

Noticed Matthew 1:20 is not in the search results since part of the verse has spoken dialogue.

Michel Pauw:

I've been wrestling with the following searches:

• how to find all passages that speak about an 'unclean animal'? It seems there is no sense for that in the Bible Sense Lexicon. Also <Thing Unclean animal> doesn't give the desired results.

Found a few verses using search:

(<Sense = ritually unclean> OR "not clean" OR unclean) INTERSECTS (<Thing Animal> OR <Thing Ox>)

Noticed Revelation 18:2 had a result in one Bible so expanded search to include more:

((<Sense ritually unclean> OR "not clean" OR unclean) WITHIN 0-5 WORDS (<Thing Animal>,<Thing Ox>,<Sense land animal>,<Sense wild animal>,<Sense winged animal>,<Sense meat>) OR ((<Sense camel>,<Sense coney>,<Sense hare>,<Sense swine>) WITHIN 22 WORDS <Sense ritually unclean>)

Another "unclean" search includes animals and more:

<Sense ritually unclean> OR <Sense detestable thing>

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26810
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 6 2017 4:22 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Appears NOT <LDGNT = reported speech> finds verses with NOT and Reported Speech:

As implemented by FL NOT is a modifier that works only with Proximity operators i.e.

• x NOT WITHIN y         ===> the operator is NOT WITHIN  etc.
  • x NOT INTERSECTS y
  • x NOT NEAR y
  • x NOT BEFORE y
  • x NOT AFTER y
  • x NOT EQUALS y   ==> this is really an Alias for NOTEQUALS

It isn't implemented as a Boolean operator.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 352
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 6 2017 7:39 AM

Thanks, Dave, that's helpful to understand the making of queries!

Posts 352
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 6 2017 7:41 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

<LDGNT = Sentence> NOT INTERSECTS <LDGNT = Reported Speech>

finds verses that have LDGNT Sentence but do not have LDGNT Reported Speech

Noticed Matthew 1:20 is not in the search results since part of the verse has spoken dialogue.

That's very helpful, thank you! I will keep thinking on how to include verses that only partially have reported speech.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS