How do I control the Topic section of a search results list?

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 320
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 15 2010 8:52 PM

Someone remind me how do I control what gets populated in the "Topic" section of a search. For example, when I search on "worship," the Topic section is populated with links to the entry on worship in Eerdman's and Smith's dictionary. But I have more dictionaries! I thought it might have something to do with the Prioritize feature, but I checked and I have Holman's prioritized over Erdman's and Smith's. So what gives?

Posts 640
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2010 9:18 PM

Not all of the dictionaries will come up when you do a Topic Search right now. That is something that Logos is working on. There is a better way do search your dictionaries for topics. Make a collection and put all of the dictionaries you want in it. Then make a customized word study under Edit Guide Template, add the collection to the Definition aspect of the guide, and wallah you have what you want.

Posts 320
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2010 10:01 PM

Ok, thanks, Jeremy--I hadn't thought of that. But your reply touches on something else I've been thinking about regarding this: trying to do a "headword" search, or something similiar. Right now, when I search on "worship" in my dictionary collection, the resuts are really unusable: I get over 5,000 hits. All I'm really intersted in is seeing those entries where "worship" is a topic heading. But I take it from past forum posts that this is not possible yet.

But I believe the Bible Word Study suggestion will do what I want right now--I had forgotten about that feature. Logos does too much!

Posts 15963
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 6:44 AM

David P. Moore:
But I believe the Bible Word Study suggestion will do what I want right now

What Jeremy suggested is excellent and it does better than the current Topic search (via Basic Search) because it provides the "headword"/topic from your bible dictionaries. So instead of 4000 - 5000 hits for worship you will get 8 - 20 hits depending on the number of bible dictionaries.

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 3223
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 7:51 AM

i get similar results as David on worship with my Dictionary collection (it has 8 Bible dictionaries and most are in my priority as well). Only 3 show up under Topic in the basic search. But if you open one of those in Topic, you can use the Parallel resources icon to locate that headword in the other dictionaries. FWIW

QLinks, Bibl2, Nexus7, Macros
Dell Inspiron 1720
Core 2 Duo, 1.6 Ghz, 4Gig RAM, Vista SP2

Posts 4508
Forum MVP
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 10:43 AM

Also, if you want to filter hits more carefully search like this:

Create a topic collection

Do a basic search and check "match case" and "match all word forms"

then when you do the search, use a capital letter for the first letter and it should be heavy on "topic headings"  instead of junk hits....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 640
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 2:37 PM

Robert Pavich:

then when you do the search, use a capital letter for the first letter and it should be heavy on "topic headings"  instead of junk hits....

Good suggestion too. I hadn't thought of that. When will the Topic Search be fully functional? One more thing, the Encyclopedia of Christianity does not come up in my original suggestion. It always worked fine using this same searching strategy in L3 and I wish the headwords were tagged in this resource in L4.

Posts 15963
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:18 PM

Jeremy:
When will the Topic Search be fully functional?

Unknown. Meanwhile, your Word Study Guide suggestion will do very well, especially as 4.0c improves the presentation:-

Jeremy:
One more thing, the Encyclopedia of Christianity does not come up in my original suggestion. It always worked fine using this same searching strategy in L3 and I wish the headwords were tagged in this resource in L4.

I added this to http://wiki.logos.com/Indexing_Changes_Needed - just check I got it right. Logos monitor this list.

Dave
===

Posts 640
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:23 PM

Now Logos just needs to stop naming the dictionaries after their acronyms cause I forget which one I am trying to open. Also, many times the Dictionary of New Testament background does not find the right word in the word study definition. "Law" is an example.

Posts 320
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:02 PM

Robert Pavich:

Excellent suggestion, Robert! Doing that, my results goes from 5,000 to 400. Still not perfect, but a lot more manageable.

Posts 12375
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:32 PM

Jeremy:
Logos just needs to stop naming the dictionaries after their acronyms cause I forget which one I am trying to open

You are aware that you can rename the dictionaries to the name of your choice?

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3223
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:38 PM

Jeremy:
There is a better way do search your dictionaries for topics. Make a collection and put all of the dictionaries you want in it. Then make a customized word study under Edit Guide Template, add the collection to the Definition aspect of the guide, and wallah you have what you want.

Robert Pavich:

Nice, added these to the wiki Tips from the Forum

QLinks, Bibl2, Nexus7, Macros
Dell Inspiron 1720
Core 2 Duo, 1.6 Ghz, 4Gig RAM, Vista SP2

Posts 640
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 2:32 PM

MJ. Smith:

Jeremy:
Logos just needs to stop naming the dictionaries after their acronyms cause I forget which one I am trying to open

You are aware that you can rename the dictionaries to the name of your choice?

No. How do you do that?

Posts 640
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 2:33 PM

David P. Moore:

Robert Pavich:

Excellent suggestion, Robert! Doing that, my results goes from 5,000 to 400. Still not perfect, but a lot more manageable.

I can't match case and all words forms at once. Only allows me one option it seems.

Posts 12375
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 2:41 PM

1) Open the library window

2) open the information view (the circle-i icon)

3) modify or create short title text

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15963
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 4:34 PM

Jeremy:
I can't match case and all words forms at once. Only allows me one option it seems.

Choose match all word forms.

Dave
===

Posts 9110
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 10:25 AM

Hi

I have set up the Guide as suggested and added my dictionary collection to it.

However, it doesn't seem to work as I expected.

For example, I was using it to do a search for "Thomas Aquinas" and got no hits.

I have the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church which has an article on "Thomas Aquinas, St".

This dictionary is in my collection and is indexed by English headwords.

I feel as though I am missing something fundamental.

Any pointers appreciated

Graham

Posts 4508
Forum MVP
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:59 PM

Graham,

i don't know what's wrong...here is the results of my search...

Robert Pavich

Posts 9110
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:28 PM

Robert

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have the "Surface Text" option - is that a 4.0c feature?

Apart from that if I do the search you are doing I get the same answer. But I understood the above discussion to suggest that one could create a topic guide with a dictionary collection and search against that and just get the headwords.

Is that not the case?

Graham 

Posts 4508
Forum MVP
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:00 PM

Graham,

the surface text is a beta thing but I also did it with the options turned off...so it should work for you!

All I did was to make a collection of bible dictionaries, and use them as a basic search. I did "match case" and I unchecked "match case" and both worked...

I can't figure out why yours wouldn't work?

Robert Pavich

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS