Extremely Frustrated

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 54 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:42 AM

NB.Mick:

scooter:
I have ordered combo TH211 + TH212. Please give me the steps re how to get to these documents in advance.

Sorry, according to its product page this course "Reformed Doctrine of God" is still in development, thus there is no Faithlife group yet and no entry in the courses tool - since not even a publication date is given on the page, it may very well be that the list of resources is not yet decided upon. 

I fully subscribe to Petah's wish above to see this kind of information as soon as it is available in the PrePub stage - this may help people acquire the resources they want to use in the course and on the other hand may convince people to sign up for the PrePub when they see they own a large share of the resources.  

Thanks for your time and comments here, NB.

Posts 405
LogosEmployee
Miles Custis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 11:06 AM

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. The reading links in Mobile Ed courses are a great feature, but we realize that they can also be a source of frustration to people when they encounter a lot of locked resources. Because of that it’s probably worth highlighting our intention with these links.

Our intention with Mobile Ed course readings is to provide people who are taking a course with the opportunity to dig deeper into a topic if they want to. We do this by providing links to A) the most useful/relevant books for a course and B) books that widely owned so that most users can explore at least some readings without additional purchases. In the past we have used the Platinum base package as a baseline for choosing some of the resources, but since the resources included in Platinum change with each new edition we have stopped prioritizing that as such.

Since the content in Mobile Ed courses is broken down into focused 5–10 minute segments and since we try to provide some links for each segment, each course ends up having a lot of reading links. We don’t necessarily intend for people to purchase each and every resource linked to in a course. They aren’t “required” parts of the course, and since we try to provide links to a variety of useful resources in Logos there may be several resources that are only linked to once or twice in a course. We provide these links not because we expect people to purchase every book linked to from the course, but because we want help ensure that people have access to at least some readings in their current Logos library. We also provide links to related Logos guides and tools like the Passage Guide or Factbook. These links will draw from resources you own, so you can use them explore the topic in whatever library you have.

Each course is different depending on the type of course and the content, but typically a course will have a handful of very useful or relevant resources that are linked to frequently. These would be the ones we would recommend purchasing. As pointed out above, you can find this information in each course’s Faithlife group. It may be helpful to think of these frequently used books as the books that a professor in a traditional college or seminary class would recommend as primary texts in his or her syllabus. Professors often also provide a long bibliography of helpful resources related to the class topic. He or she wouldn’t expect the student to buy all those books or even track each one down in the library, but they are listed for reference if a student wants to dig deeper into a specific topic from the course.

We are working on providing different options for people to purchase various bundles of referenced books for individual Mobile Ed courses. We hope to roll that out next year.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 11:10 AM

Thanks for the explanation Miles. Much appreciated.

Posts 405
LogosEmployee
Miles Custis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 11:13 AM

NB.Mick:

Sorry, according to its product page this course "Reformed Doctrine of God" is still in development, thus there is no Faithlife group yet and no entry in the courses tool - since not even a publication date is given on the page, it may very well be that the list of resources is not yet decided upon. 

I fully subscribe to Petah's wish above to see this kind of information as soon as it is available in the PrePub stage - this may help people acquire the resources they want to use in the course and on the other hand may convince people to sign up for the PrePub when they see they own a large share of the resources.

We generate the spreadsheet list of the resources and the number of times they are linked to when we begin doing the preliminary build of the course. This happens toward the end of our production process. We usually have created the course Faithlife group and shared the spreadsheet in it before we set a ship date, so if you pre-order a course you can check the list of resources it links to when you get the ship date email.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 11:23 AM

Miles Custis:
We are working on providing different options for people to purchase various bundles of referenced books for individual Mobile Ed courses. We hope to roll that out next year.

Thanks, Miles. Looking forward to it, and any savings that would offer, as about half the books I purchase are related to Mobile Ed courses.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 11:41 AM

Miles Custis:
We generate the spreadsheet list of the resources and the number of times they are linked to when we begin doing the preliminary build of the course. This happens toward the end of our production process.

As you described, the full list (with link count) is generally only available about a month before the course ships.

I think some of us would be interested in hearing sooner about the much smaller "handful of very useful or relevant resources that are linked to frequently," "the books that a professor in a traditional college or seminary class would recommend as primary texts."

Surely this would be a win for FL, as it not only would bring in revenue in advance of the course shipping, but also increase the likelihood of someone not cancelling a pre-pub that they've already purchased resources for.

We wouldn't need link counts, merely a simple heads up early on so we can keep an eye out for sales on those primary texts in the months before the course ships.

Thanks for any consideration!

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:20 PM

A few minutes ago I received and email with a subject of "Last chance to save! Mobile Ed: NT326 Book Study: The Acts of the Apostles"

I followed the Learn More button in the email and that Logos web page doesn't list any resources for the course.

https://www.logos.com/product/138256/mobile-ed-nt326-book-study-the-acts-of-the-apostles?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=prepub2017&utm_content=logos_mobileed_Mobile%20Ed%20NT326%20Book%20Study%20The%20Acts%20of%20the%20Apostles%20with%20footer%20(1)&spMailingID=1001720&spUserID=MjMyNzE0NDQ3S0&spJobID=440510127&spReportId=NDQwNTEwMTI3S0

Next I tried to search for the course's FaithLife group page and no resource document there either.

https://faithlife.com/nt326/activity

This course ships on January 4 which is just over 2 weeks away.

Not a big deal for me as I can't afford this course anytime soon. But I can see how it could aggravate others. But then maybe I am just missing something and the resource list can be found somewhere else.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:27 PM

Marshall Harrison:

Click on the above link.  Far left, click Documents.  Click Resources Linked.  There you go.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:33 PM

scooter:

Marshall Harrison:

Click on the above link.  Far left, click Documents.  Click Resources Linked.  There you go.

I did that before posting and this is what I got. I verified that I am logged into FaithLife. 

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:37 PM

Marshall Harrison:
I did that before posting and this is what I got. I verified that I am logged into FaithLife. 

You have to 'follow' the group before you can see the documents. You can follow the group at https://faithlife.com/nt326/documents

I know it's not very intuitive, but once you've done it once, it's easy for next time.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:40 PM

Marshall:  Here the lists are:

Suggested Reading # of Links
The Pillar New Testament Commentary: The Acts of the Apostles (PNTCACTS) 61
Acts: An Introduction and Commentary (TNTC65ACUS) 59
Acts: A Commentary on the Book of Acts (HRMNEIA65ACPER) 56
The Lexham Bible Dictionary (LBD) 3
Acts of the Apostles: A Commentary on the Acts of the Apostles (HRMNEIA65AC) 2
The New American Commentary: Acts (NAC26) 2
Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology (EVDICTBT) 1
The New American Commentary: Luke (NAC24) 1
See Also
The New American Commentary: Acts (NAC26) 57
Acts (PAIDEIA65AC) 53
The Acts of the Apostles (SP5ACTS) 51
The Book of the Acts (NICNT65AC) 51
The Book of Acts in the Setting of Hellenistic History (BKCTSHLLNSTCHST) 5
Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament: Acts (BECNT65AC) 1
The Pillar New Testament Commentary: The Acts of the Apostles (PNTCACTS) 1
Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:40 PM

Mark Barnes:

Marshall Harrison:

You have to 'follow' the group before you can see the documents. You can follow the group at https://faithlife.com/nt326/documents

I know it's not very intuitive, but once you've done it once, it's easy for next time.

Obviously not intuitive enough for me. But I have always been kind of hardheaded. LOL.

I wonder if I could start a GoFundMe page to pay for my courses and resources.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:47 PM

scooter:

Marshall:  Here the lists are:

Suggested Reading # of Links
The Pillar New Testament Commentary: The Acts of the Apostles (PNTCACTS) 61
Acts: An Introduction and Commentary (TNTC65ACUS) 59
Acts: A Commentary on the Book of Acts (HRMNEIA65ACPER) 56
The Lexham Bible Dictionary (LBD) 3
Acts of the Apostles: A Commentary on the Acts of the Apostles (HRMNEIA65AC) 2
The New American Commentary: Acts (NAC26) 2
Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology (EVDICTBT) 1
The New American Commentary: Luke (NAC24) 1
See Also
The New American Commentary: Acts (NAC26) 57
Acts (PAIDEIA65AC) 53
The Acts of the Apostles (SP5ACTS) 51
The Book of the Acts (NICNT65AC) 51
The Book of Acts in the Setting of Hellenistic History (BKCTSHLLNSTCHST) 5
Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament: Acts (BECNT65AC) 1
The Pillar New Testament Commentary: The Acts of the Apostles (PNTCACTS) 1

Thanks Scooter. Looks like this course has some extensive reading resources. Some I have but others I am adding to my wish list. I want this course but just can't afford it at the moment so I'll have to wait and pay full price or wait until it goes on sale sometime in the future.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 1:04 PM

Marshall Harrison:
Thanks Scooter. Looks like this course has some extensive reading resources. Some I have but others I am adding to my wish list. I want this course but just can't afford it at the moment so I'll have to wait and pay full price or wait until it goes on sale sometime in the future.

You are welcome.  I suppose, should you so wish, you could take yourself thru Jipp's outline, using what you own.  A Study Bible + a commentary.  2 commentaries.  I have done this to mixed results.  I'm thinking an external, ''chunked'' outline would keep you in the right lane; not having one may have caused me to meander some.

I hope for your sake you can get it 30 pc off sometime in the future.

Posts 2337
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 3:36 PM

Mark Barnes:
hat's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to heaven so much — time, riches and energy in abundance! (And, ironically, no need for Logos Bible Software!!)

I am hoping to take just that one thing with me when I go--Logos.  

---------------

On a more serious note, I have a few mobile ed courses and really like them because they are curated for my library.  When I take a college course I get a text and bibliographies in that text.  Honestly, I don't usually follow up on those bibliographies. Logos lets me do just that.  I don't always have every resource in the Bibliography, but I have a lot. Sometimes reading are repetitious or just not my immediate interest and I skip them. If I really want one, I know exactly how to get it within less time than it takes to make a cup of coffee.    I like that and use that.  Personally, I don't get much from the lectures and usually skip them, reading the text instead.  But those curated readings--YES!  That is what makes ME courses most valuable to me.

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS