Some research help please (not urgent or anything...)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 566
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 19 2017 4:03 AM

I love Logos and have used it for many years, but one of my frustrations, at times, is figuring out the best way to search for some random information. Very often I will find that it is easier to go to Google and find the answer that way, which obviously defeats the purpose of using Logos... Big Smile

So, some help from all the resident experts please: what I wanted to know was whether or not I have, in my substantial library (6083 books), more detailed information specifically about 7-year madness of King Nebuchadnezzar. Who would have reigned in his place? Was it written about in any other historical records, outside or inside the church?

QUESTION: how would you go about doing such a search? Perhaps by seeing how more seasoned researchers go about it, I'll become a better Logos searcher myself.

Thanks all! In case it's helpful, I have Logos 7 with the Full Feature Set.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 4:42 AM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:
So, some help from all the resident experts please: what I wanted to know was whether or not I have, in my substantial library (6083 books), more detailed information specifically about 7-year madness of King Nebuchadnezzar. Who would have reigned in his place? Was it written about in any other historical records, outside or inside the church?

First, I'd simply look at commentaries on Daniel 4:31-34, using the passage guide. Commentaries that had some content were: WBC, Anchor, ITC, and others. You probably know already that the historicity of the book of Daniel (and this chapter in particular) is much-debated, so although many commentaries address this issue, you may not get the answers you're looking for.

As for a search, I'd probably go for something like Nebuchadnezzar NEAR (<Dan 4:31-34>, madness, mad, sanity, insane) NEAR (histor*, records, Babylonian). You can tweak that, and it won't get everything, but it should be a reasonable start. The theory behind the criteria is that we're looking for three things occurring together:

1. Nebuchadnezzar
  2. The episode of madness described in Daniel 4.
  3. Historical records from Babylon

Posts 566
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 4:49 AM

Well thanks Mark... this seems like a great start! And of course, not thinking of starting with my gagillion commentaries... D'OH! Huh?

Posts 2548
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 5:02 AM
In addition to the Passage Guide, I would run a Topic Guide for Nebuchadnezzar and read through the dictionary articles about him. Lastly, the Cited By Tool can find resources in your library that have references to Dan 4.31-34. Especially useful with Journals and various monographs. It helps if you have your library broken into collections. As the NAC Commentary states: Baldwin notes that information concerning Nebuchadnezzar’s last thirty years is sparse, and no record of the king’s illness has been found in Babylonian annals. Yet such a humiliating experience certainly would have been omitted from official accounts, for “corroboration of it [the illness] can hardly ever be expected from archaeology, for royal families do not leave memorials of such frailties.”54 This fact would be doubly true of ancient monarchs whose annals were chiefly political propaganda written to exalt the reputation of the nation and the king Stephen R. Miller, Daniel (vol. 18; The New American Commentary; Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1994), 142. All the best in your research.
Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 5:12 AM

My first thought was to use Bible Browser but I didn't get any results.

Not sure if its my limited amount of resources (2728), lack of skills with the Bible Browser or this is just not a good fit for the tool.

Anyway you can check this out for some help with it - https://blog.logos.com/2017/12/use-bible-browser-youre-just-looking/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LogosBibleSoftwareBlog+%28Logos+Bible+Software+Blog%29

Posts 19387
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 5:41 AM

Mark Barnes:
As for a search, I'd probably go for something like Nebuchadnezzar NEAR (<Dan 4:31-34>, madness, mad, sanity, insane) NEAR (histor*, records, Babylonian). You can tweak that, and it won't get everything, but it should be a reasonable start.

Search tweak for resources that have Bible Milestones (commentaries plus more) is:

(Nebuchadnezzar NEAR (insane,mad,sanity,seasons)) WITHIN {Milestone <Dn4>}

Note: search for mad includes madness (matching all word forms)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 566
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 4:37 AM

Thanks all! You've all been most helpful!

Merry Christmas to all of you as we rejoice in the Greatest Gift of all, Jesus Christ!

Gift

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS