How would you preach this text?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 19 2017 11:30 AM

I apologize if the title isnt clear, but I couldnt figure out another way to word it.  My question is this.  One of the issues I run into with expository preaching is wondering how to break the text up.  Or how "someone else" would preach these set of verses.

I'll give an example.  Matthew 13.  My boss and I were just discussing how to preach this section of Scripture and I thought how amazing it would be if I could use Logos to view outlines of text from other resources/preachers.  I know to view sermons from specific preachers I would need to purchase that package, but I am wondering if Logos has the ability to show outlines of specific section of texts?  Thanks!

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 4588
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 1:12 PM

Matthew 13 would be a number of sermons. When determining a book or chapter outline, I typically look first at the paragraph divisions, and the subjects those paragraphs are dealing with. Then I move the clause outlines (I use opentext and Andersen-Forbes). In the clause outlines I look for primary clauses and determine how they fit into topics and sub topics.

Posts 560
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 1:23 PM

Have you considered Thematic Outlines found in the Passage Guide and/or the Bible Outline Browser found under Tools/Interactive Media to get the juices flowing?

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 4873
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 1:23 PM

To answer your question Logos can show a variety of outlines of the text if you own a license to the appropriate resources. You can find them via factbook and various guides and searching your library. If you have the appropriate datasets some outlines are built into the biblical text as a visual filter.

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 1:26 PM

Thank you all for this information.  This is definitely a great start and has helped me figure out how to better use Logos to outline the text.  Thanks!

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 2:23 PM

Brad, almost all commentaries have outlines. FL has helpfully tagged outlines within commentaries so they can be searched. I have a collection of commentaries that are 'intermediate' level. Here is the result of a search of that collection for Mt 13:

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 6222
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 2:34 PM

John MacArthur, John G Butler, Adrian Rogers, The Outline Bible and any sermon outline book on Matthew can give you excellent ideas to preach that and any other passage of Scripture.

DAL

Posts 1523
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 2:45 PM

Mark Smith:
Brad, almost all commentaries have outlines. FL has helpfully tagged outlines within commentaries so they can be searched.

Great tip Mark! For those wondering where he got it, just scroll down a Search Panel to find it:

It's probably a good idea to take an occasional "scroll" down the Search panel and see what search tips you can find that would be helpful for you.

Posts 823
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 3:39 PM

Mark Smith:

Brad, almost all commentaries have outlines. FL has helpfully tagged outlines within commentaries so they can be searched. I have a collection of commentaries that are 'intermediate' level. Here is the result of a search of that collection for Mt 13:

It's also worth noting that the outlines are available as a default section in the Passage Guide, which might be simpler than searching for them. Screenshot below: 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 4:01 PM

GregW:
It's also worth noting that the outlines are available as a default section in the Passage Guide, which might be simpler than searching for them. Screenshot below: 

Yes, they are. I wish they would present the results in the same way as the search results are presented. For me the search results are easier to browse through quickly. 

The other thing searching allows you to do is limit the commentaries you search (by searching collections). That may or may not be something you want to do. In the PG it's all or nothing.

One stop shopping: the PG. Targeted shopping: searching with the tags FL has provided. We have options.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 5:26 PM

Excellent.  This is very helpful, thank you so much!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS