Knowing God by Packer

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 579
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 5:48 AM

Ok, Im confused now.  I have my old discs from 2.1, and based on what was said, I found disc E and put it in the computer.  The names are kinda cryptic, so I am not sure what the name for Packer's work would be.  Also, I did notice it has one named "Vines".  I currently in my v7 library do not have Vines as a resource.  So that makes me wonder, how many resources did I have with v2 and no longer have?  What do I need to do here?

Thanks,

Posts 5938
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 6:13 AM

Michael S.:

Ok, Im confused now.  I have my old discs from 2.1, and based on what was said, I found disc E and put it in the computer.  The names are kinda cryptic, so I am not sure what the name for Packer's work would be.  Also, I did notice it has one named "Vines".  I currently in my v7 library do not have Vines as a resource.  So that makes me wonder, how many resources did I have with v2 and no longer have?  What do I need to do here?

Thanks,

Call customer service and have the discs in hand and they will unlock  whatever resources are available in them for you 👍😁👌

Posts 2130
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 6:48 AM

Michael S.:

Thanks,

This resource is not on the install disks for 2.1. It is on a CD prepared by E4 (Ephesians 4 Group) that was sold separately for about 3 or 4 years. They provided "free" resources on their 1st CD and only charged handling and postage. They then release several other CD's at reasonable costs. The resources were keyed by volunteers and were not up to Logos quality. After Logos dropped them, they continued their sale of resources via QuickVerse (now WordSearch).

The URL was http://www.freebiblesoftware.com   which no longer seems to work. They have a facebook presence as E4 Group.

I think Knowing God was on the 2nd or 3rd CD they made available.

Here is the support information from the resource:

LLS:42.100.6
2002-05-14T00:20:19Z
knowgod.lbxlls

I remember this resource being updated at some point by Logos so it is not the original E4 edition. That's what I recall regarding this great resource.

I hope this helps clarify and offer opportunity for those interested to follow up with the company. They are no longer licensed to sell Logos resources.

Posts 579
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 1:41 PM

DAL:
Call customer service and have the discs in hand and they will unlock  whatever resources are available in them for you

So I chatted with Customer Service, and they explained that my discs (the Series X discs for 2.1) had resources on them that may not have been unlocked for me, as these predated the internet download function.  So just because I have a resource on the disk does not mean it was purchased by me.  According to my unlock code, I have all the resources now that I had then (Scholars Library (RA) March 2003).  I did not see Knowing God on that disc anyway... but the names are kinda cryptic.

Thanks everyone.

Posts 2810
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 5:53 PM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:

Sorry to be the cause of much envy. I have it! Cool

Me, too.  I didn't realize it was no longer available.  Guess I wasn't paying attention.  I have the 20th Anniversary edition.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 755
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 9:13 PM

It is ironic that the most recent issue of Bible Study Magazine has a really great interview with J.I. Packer that talks about Knowing God and Faithlife doesn't even offer it for sale.Confused

Posts 18325
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 10:54 PM

Bill Anderson:

It is ironic that the most recent issue of Bible Study Magazine has a really great interview with J.I. Packer that talks about Knowing God and Faithlife doesn't even offer it for sale.Confused

Sad

Posts 8627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2019 4:23 AM

Bill Anderson:

Ironic indeed!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2805
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2019 9:13 AM

BUMP... A Faithlife response would be great!  Is it a contract issue, oversight, something else? Just curious at this point.

Posts 5938
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2019 1:02 PM

Mattillo:

BUMP... A Faithlife response would be great!  Is it a contract issue, oversight, something else? Just curious at this point.

Didn’t they say on some other thread (a good while ago) that they lost the rights to sell it and that it was hard to get them back?

DAL

Posts 2805
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2019 6:34 PM

DAL:

Mattillo:

Didn’t they say on some other thread (a good while ago) that they lost the rights to sell it and that it was hard to get them back?

DAL

That I do not know sir

Posts 726
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 1:58 AM

The book doesn't seem to be offered by any of Faithlife's competitors either, so I suspect in this case there's a wider issue than just acquiring the licence.

Posts 5938
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 2:01 AM

Paul Caneparo:

The book doesn't seem to be offered by any of Faithlife's competitors either, so I suspect in this case there's a wider issue than just acquiring the licence.

Yep! I’ve checked with the others and nothing. The only thing I could find was a free PDF, which I put on my kindle and ibooks. That should do 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 2805
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 4:58 AM

Well that is disappointing but I still don't see why it can't be added to Faithlife ebooks. It seems it is available many places that way and is better than nothing.

https://www.ivpress.com/knowing-god-ebook 

Posts 18325
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 1:04 PM

Paul Caneparo:

I know Dr. Packer and have taken classes from him at Regent College. He is still living, in Vancouver, where I still live too. I don't see him often, as he's retired and rarely comes in to the college anymore, except for special events. But I know folks who do see him regularly. I could ask him via one of them whether he has given permission for that book to be digitized, and if not, would he be willing to? Maybe it's not up to him, but if it is, I would think he'd be amenable, since his other books have been. (I know sometimes some authors have a hang-up about letting their books be digitized, like Harper Lee and J.D. Salinger; but Packer, even though he never used a computer all  his life -- he used a manual typewriter to write all his books -- doesn't seem fundamentally opposed to having his books digitized.)

Posts 2805
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 1:18 PM

IVP has already made digital versions. See my above link

Posts 2805
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 1:52 PM

This book is now available... Buy before it disappears!!!

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/168883/knowing-god 

Posts 85
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 2:25 PM
interesting
Posts 9537
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 2:27 PM

Mattillo:

This book is now available... Buy before it disappears!!!

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/168883/knowing-god 

.... if you can. It seems it's a victim of geo-restricted publishing (or selling) rights that have become a nuisance on eBooks.faithlife lately. 

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 8627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 2:35 PM

NB.Mick:
.... if you can. It seems it's a victim of geo-restricted publishing (or selling) rights that have become a nuisance on eBooks.faithlife lately. 

Sorry to hear that. I was able to buy it just now from Canada.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS