Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 20 2017 8:22 AM

Over the years, I have added, and continue to add, numerous notes to my personal documents associated with my preferred Bible, the KJV, using my MacBook Pro. I don't generally create hyperlinks except those that happen automatically when entering verses of Scripture (i.e. John 3.16). Recently, as I was adding a note to Acts 12 regarding King Herod, I considered adding a hyperlink regarding the king's maladies as provided by the historian, Josephus. Needing a reminder, I looked for and found in Logos Help how to create a hyperlink (highlight the resource I'm interested in linking to, Alt+Command+C, then highlight the portion of my note to attach the link to (in this case I used the name Josephus), Command+V, and "Voila!"). As a habit, I check links in my notes as a follow-up to see that in fact they are there and are correct, and found this latest link had worked perfectly.

Now, because I use the Logos app on my iPhone extensively, I thought to check the link there, as well. I opened the corresponding note from Acts 12 and touched the link (Josephus) which should have taken me to Antiquitieschapter 17 of The Works of Josephus, from my Logos library. However, it immediately switched to Vyrso and gave me an error message: "Error loading book, This resource cannot be opened because it is not a part of your library."

I have tried the link a few more more times, even re-making it, "hoping" something would change and that it would work, but it continues to have the same result: the link works on my Mac but not on my iPhone. All other previous and subsequent document links work correctly on my iPhone as, for the most part, they are merely auto-generated cross-references to other KJV Scripture. Though I have no "proof," this has transpired after the iPhone Logos App upgrade which happened recently.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you, Galen

Posts 28886
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 8:36 AM

Is this the resource in question: https://www.logos.com/product/154/the-works-of-josephus ? Do you see it in your mobile library? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 9:44 AM

No, it is not. It is this: 

Josephus, F., & Whiston, W. (1987). The works of Josephus: complete and unabridged. Peabody: Hendrickson.

LLS:6.40.2
2017-03-20T16:57:22Z
JOSEPHUS.logos4

Posts 28886
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 9:59 AM

I can't find that being sold by FL. Can you find a product page? My guess: The resource isn't being sold by FL and isnt "mobile enabled." That would explain the behavior you are seeing. 

Posts 28886
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 10:03 AM

Update: I think you are mistaken and it IS the same resource (just with a different cover). When you click on the link provided above, is the "add to cart" button greyed out? 

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 10:08 AM

I am mistaken! Yes, it is greyed out!

Posts 28886
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 4:30 PM

Do you see it in your mobile library (on both apps)? For Vyrso, make sure to uncheck the "show only Vyrso resources" option. 

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 5:25 AM

I guess I shouldn't care how this works, but I don't understand! You were correct to suggest unchecking the "show only Vyrso resources" option. That made the Josephus book available. To bring this full circle for you, the link now works from my notes. Tappingit opens the Vyrso app and brings me to the page with the information on it. Its a very clunky process, in my opinion, but it is a "link," right? So why, if this book is available and downloaded on my Logos mobile app, does it even have to switch to Vyrso?

As an aside, I remember some time ago reading the Logos blog where some folks were discussing the merits of Vyrso, but I don't "knowingly" use the app, hence the decision was to opt for the "show only Vyrso resources."

Thanks - Galen

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 6:38 AM

Hi Galen - glad you have it working but I'll admit to some confusion!

Galen Murray:
but I don't "knowingly" use the app, hence the decision was to opt for the "show only Vyrso resources."

It sounds as though you weren't planning to use the Vyrso app but to use the Bible app from Logos. Is that correct?

If so, are you saying that when you tap your link in the note on the Bible app it opens the resource in the Vyrso app? If so, that would be very surprising. Or is it that you are actually using the Vyrso app for all of this?

Apologies but I'm not clear about exactly which apps you are using for what

Graham

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 6:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, Graham. You are correct. I use the Logos app exclusively on my phone. I rarely - if ever - use the Vyrso app. On occasion, I've swapped over to Vyrso when the Logos app was hanging up, but I can't tell you how long ago that has been. I haven't discovered Vyrso's usefulness since the Logos app does all I thought I needed it to do.

To answer :

Graham Criddle:
are you saying that when you tap your link in the note on the Bible app it opens the resource in the Vyrso app? If so, that would be very surprising.

That is precisely what is happening! This is an embedded link in a note applied to a document associated with my KJV bible in the Logos app. I do 99% of my notes on my Mac and utilize them with me on my iPhone. On the Mac, the link displays the highlighted text from the Josephus account I wanted to associate with a particular note I created about King Herod in Acts 12. However, the same link on my iPhone Logos app opens the Vyrso app, opens the Josephus book, and goes to Antiquities chapter 17 where the account was taken from.

I hope this explains the scenario.

Galen

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 7:11 AM

Hi Galen

Galen Murray:

Thanks for clarifying - and I now understand the scenario.

But I have no idea why it is behaving as you describe.

I'll do some experimenting and see if I find anything

Graham

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 7:21 AM

I've just tried to reproduce your steps and when I tap the link in my Bible app it opens Josephus in that app - which is what I would have expected.

Could you please check one thing? When you use the key combination Ctrl-Alt-C you are executing the "Copy Location" command available from the resource menu. There are a number of options for this command - as outlined in red below.

Which one is highlighted - it is L4 in my example?

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 7:22 AM

And one other question.

Can you try this with another resource - just for a test - and see if you get the same behaviour?

Posts 28886
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 7:34 AM

Galen Murray:
However, the same link on my iPhone Logos app opens the Vyrso app, opens the Josephus book, and goes to Antiquities chapter 17 where the account was taken from.

Galen Murray:
I use the Logos app exclusively on my phone. I rarely - if ever - use the Vyrso app.

Galen Murray:

If I understand you correctly, the link "works," but opens up in the wrong app, right? The first thing I would try? Delete the "wrong" app! My guess is that those links have somehow associated themselves in iOS (on your device) to the Vyrso app. I believe deleting the app will cause it to work properly... but only a guess!   

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 7:42 AM

alabama24:
but only a guess!   

Sounds like a good one to meSmile

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 7:43 AM

No, Graham, I have URL selected.

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 7:47 AM

Ok, so to this:

alabama24:
The first thing I would try? Delete the "wrong" app! My guess is that those links have somehow associated themselves in iOS (on your device) to the Vyrso app. I believe deleting the app will cause it to work properly

My question is: if the issue always involved opening Vyrso to obtain the reference, are you suggesting it will be forced to use the Logos app if Vyrso if deleted?

Just wundrin!

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 8:01 AM

Galen Murray:

No, Graham, I have URL selected.

Fascinating - when I do that and tap the link it opens a different app, the Faithlife Study Bible.

I don't know what that is but I suggest you change it to L4, recreate the link and then see if everything stays within the Logos Bible app.

EDIT: I'm not completely sure if "L4" is an option on Mac.

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 8:14 AM

Wow!

Well, it is an option on the Mac and I will change to L4 and try it, although since I se you use L4, I wonder if it matters!. Also, from your earlier suggestion to try a different resource I have taken a reference from John Stott's The Message of Acts, and the link opens the Vyrso app and goes to the reference.

Posts 27
Galen Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 8:34 AM

Ok, Graham. I have changed to L4 and created two new notes on my Mac for the "ACTS" document. Each note has an individual link to a separate resource, John Stott's Message of Acts, and The Expositor's Luke-Acts. Testing each link on my phone resulted in opening only the resource with the text I had selected. This was done without opening another app. Success?

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS