Reading plan in Excel

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 92
Felipe Chamy | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 22 2017 9:16 AM

Is there a way to create a reading plan from an Excel file?

Someone shared with me through Facebook a Greek and Hebrew graded reading plan in excel and would love to import it into Logos.

thank you!

Posts 1667
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 22 2017 9:27 AM
Philipe: It's almost certainly possible. If it's sharable, post it here and I'll give it a shot. If successful, I'll tell you .what I did.

Win 10 Android/Fire OS 5

Posts 1667
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 23 2017 12:58 PM

Felipe:

Sorry I misspelled your name yesterday; it just rolled off my fingers.

First, I did some disambiguation on a few days in the spreadsheet that will prevent the passage list documents and subsequent reading plan based on them from being confused. Here's the revision:  3782.Revised OriginalLanguageBibleReadingSchedulev3.xlsx

Below are the steps. I would post the finished plan to a Faithlife Group, bot old men such as I are baffled by social media.

1. Open the revised XL file.
  2. Select Cells B1:B365 and Copy the selection.
  3. In Logos, choose Documents-->Passage List
  4. Name the list something like "18PLOT"
  5. At the top, click Add and "from:  clipboard". Don't Sort the list.
  6. Do Steps 2-5 for the NT column
  7. Next, you're going to create two custom readings, which you will combine into one final reading plan.
  8. Choose Documents-->Reading Plan-->Custom Reading Plan
  9. Name the OT plan something like "18PlanOT"
  10. Click Add, "...passage list" and choose the OT passage list created in #5.
  11. Leave Today as the starting point on these subsidiary plans; in the final plan which combines them you'll specify the 1/1/18 start date.
  12. Do Steps #8-10 for the NT part
  13. Choose Documents-->Reading Plans-->Custom Reading Plan
  14. Name the final product something like "18PlanOT_NT"
  15. Click Add, "another reading plan" and choose the OT preliminary plan from Steps 8-10
  16. Click Add, "another reading plan" and choose the NT preliminary plan from Step 12
  17. Where it says "Read starting Today", click Today and choose Jan 1, 2018.
  18. In both your OT & NT texts, click the Visual Filter button (3 dots) and make sure the final combined plan is checked and the intermediate plan we used is not checked.

This creates a plan that will open in your preferred bible when clicked. So, you'll need to either:

• Create a layout with your reading plan and preferred bible, GNT, and HOT in a link set
  • If one of your OL texts is your preferred bible, prioritize the other OL text right below the preferred.

I would certainly appreciate it if anyone else can correct or simplify this.

Win 10 Android/Fire OS 5

Posts 92
Felipe Chamy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 23 2017 4:38 PM

Thank you! It worked great! I created a Faithhlife group to share it with others. Is there any other way to share a reading plan?

Posts 22
Allen Townsend | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2018 4:49 AM

Is there a way to skip a day? I’m assuming it’s a specific text that would have to be entered. 

For example:

• Day 1: Gen. 1-2, Ps. 1
  • Day 2: Gen. 3-4, Ps. 2
  • Day 3: Break
  • Day 4: Gen. 5-6, Ps. 3

Thanks,

Allen

Posts 1667
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2018 5:14 PM

Hi Allen:

I doubt it. The passage list won't recognize a line not containing a passage (I think). Maybe someone else has an idea.

Win 10 Android/Fire OS 5

Posts 32
Jeremy Pinnix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 5:07 PM

From the Logos Wiki: Selecting how often to read your book

But I had no idea how to import a reading list for faster creation, so thanks so much as that was exactly what I came here’s to find out!

#teamwork

Posts 32
Jeremy Pinnix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 11:57 AM

I'm not sure why we can't @-mention people on here, but I wanted to make sure you saw the link for how to schedule for specific days...

Posts 32
Jeremy Pinnix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 12:54 PM

Okay, Robert and Allen, I see what y'all mean regarding the empty days. I tried using the pipe chaining "|" method as described in the Wiki, but that still puts one passage per day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've created two versions of my spreadsheet. One with a single column using the pipes, and the other with multiple columns, one for each passage. I have some days that have 8 passages, and some that just have 1. I've sent these over to Logos to see if they have any guidance.

Posts 54
Michael Sheaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 3:58 PM

I do hope this is fixed, for I have encountered the same scenario. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS