Great Books of the Western World

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 17 2010 7:52 AM

Mortimer J. Adler, editor in chief

Could Logos work out a deal with Britannica to publish this set?  Harvard Classics is in the works.  I'd like to see this one too.

Posts 676
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 8:17 AM

Yes

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 9:36 AM

Ralph A. Abernethy III:
Harvard Classics is in the works.  I'd like to see this one too.

Britannica's Great Books are still well under copyright for several more decades. The Harvard Classics was printed over 100 years ago so no permission was required. I still think it would be worth the price to have the Britannica copyright content in the way of introductory essays and surveys. If the final 100 years of material were left out, the majority of the content could be published without infringement.

Although some content is redundant in the two sets, the basic philosophical approach to the two collections was so different the resulting collections are both important. Harvard Classics contain much more "Christian" content of the Western Church derived from a Hebrew view of education. The Great Books is based in the Greek idea of education and is explained in Adler's The Paideia Proposal.

If Logos could partner with Britannica on The Great Books it may open the door to other publications like The Annals of America.. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 11
Rev. Gregory S. Byrd | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 3:55 PM

YES!!!!!!

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 4:53 PM

i remember my dad getting that set along with just about everything else that Britannica offered: Annals of American History, Encyclopedias, and more!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 676
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 3:34 PM

I bought my set at the Missouri State Fair about 24 years ago...I would like to say that I have read them from cover to cover...I'd like to say that, but it wouldn't be true. I bought the reading guide with my set and with good intentions, sat down and started reading, ... for about 2 hours (and I never really got out of the reading guide and into the books). I have read certain parts of most of the collection, but even afater 24 years, I still haven't accessed all the information in them. If they were in Logos and tagged and in a collection, I would probably get alot more use out of them.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 4:17 PM

Bill Shewmaker:

I bought my set at the Missouri State Fair about 24 years ago...I would like to say that I have read them from cover to cover...I'd like to say that, but it wouldn't be true. I bought the reading guide with my set and with good intentions, sat down and started reading, ... for about 2 hours (and I never really got out of the reading guide and into the books). I have read certain parts of most of the collection, but even afater 24 years, I still haven't accessed all the information in them. If they were in Logos and tagged and in a collection, I would probably get alot more use out of them.

Bill, I can believe you only have 96 posts.  Slacker.  It is easy to get 1,000 posts with just fluff.  Look at me!

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 5:02 PM

If Logos should ever get around to publishing GBotWW, make sure it's the 2nd Edition of 1990.

Posts 36055
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 5:06 PM

Ralph A. Abernethy III:
If Logos should ever get around to publishing GBotWW, make sure it's the 2nd Edition of 1990.

And that they publish the Sacred Books of the East first - it's only 50 volumes.Cool

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 5:11 PM

Here is a list of the works included in these sets:

Great Books of the Western World

Harvard Classics

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:10 AM

This is my 100th post.  We will all take time out for a collective yawn.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:37 AM

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep  Confused Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:10 PM

. . . . someone had too much time on his hands

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 6:56 AM

But it's the guy (Confused) in the middle that makes it funny.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 7:14 AM

Thomas Black:

But it's the guy (Confused) in the middle that makes it funny.

lol, never noticed that.  Was that intentional, Mr. Matthew C. Jones?

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 3:48 PM

Touche!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 4:11 PM

Dan DeVilder:
Was that intentional, Mr. Matthew C. Jones?

Uh huh. Intentional because Ralph A. Abernethy III attaining his 100th post isn't something for us to collectively yawn about. I'm glad he attained it and look forward to him joining the 1000 club. That's why at least 1 isn't yawning. Smile Although it doesn't take much time to cut & paste a row of yawners over & over, it is challenging to get that non-yawner in there after the fact.

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 1:34 PM

Aw, shucks! Smile

Posts 676
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2010 7:24 AM

Matthew C Jones:
Although some content is redundant in the two sets, the basic philosophical approach to the two collections was so different the resulting collections are both important. Harvard Classics contain much more "Christian" content of the Western Church derived from a Hebrew view of education.
Well, I've come to my conclusion and Pre-pubbed the Harvard Classics...$129 for a set of books that cost me over $600 24 years ago...not a bad investment. (And I might even get some good out of them in the Logos format Geeked

Posts 21
Steve Aeschbacher | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 4:15 PM

I'd love to see the great books set available on Logos too!  Britannica isn't doing anything with them, so they should be flexible, one would think. 

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS