What would you tell your younger self about Logos?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 18
Ronnie Sinclair | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 1 2018 11:44 AM

Hey all!

I am a few months into using Logos now and it's so feature-rich that I'm wondering if I'm missing out on doing something or if I'm doing something in a less efficient way than I could.

As we enter a new year, I think it's time to gather some knowledge from those who have been using Logos for a longer time than I.

If you could tell your younger self something about Logos, what would it be?

It can be something that would've prevented headaches, or something to increase efficiency, or something that has really improved your experience with Logos, or a feature you wish you found/learned how to use way earlier. Or it can just be about what type of resources you spend money on.

I am open to any input. Even if it doesn't apply directly to me (a non-pastor, non-seminary student plebeian Smile), I am sure it will apply to someone!

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 12:10 PM

http://www.learnlogos.com/Default.asp  

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 12:28 PM

Great question, dude:  I am a non-pastor, non-sem + have had my rig since L3.

I should have somehow convinced my younger self how to use Logos.  I still am very, very wonky with it.  My dislike re learning core basics is still intense.

I should know by now how to create a collection.  And remove a book from a collection.  And how to disband the entire collection.  

I should have learned SLOWLY, very so, how to do those queries that contain [{( wassup )]}.  But I stubbornly resist their encroachment on my mind.  I wait for drop-box manna.

I would have never bought Word commentary.  The format is pathetic.

Since I know no Greek nor Hebrew, I might have bypassed commentaries that use too much of same.  They are hard to read as the other languages get in the way of flow.

This is tricky:  I would still be thankful for the advice on the forum re should I buy these commentaries or that collection yonder.  I'm a layman, and the advice comes from another person's point of view.  They may be a Christian professional, but do not say so.  Thus, the advice would not apply to me.

I cannot get around well on their website.  I should have wrote down locations.  An example is wiki location.

Think twice or thrice about a purchase.  Come back to it tomorrow.

Not buy a pre-pub unless the discount is 25 %.  Goes for pre-orders as well.

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 12:49 PM

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Don't do a payment plan.

Buy used libraries. 

Posts 9957
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 12:55 PM

Hmmm. I really don't know. I guess maybe because I got Libronix to do a certain thing. And then I wanted to do more specific things, so I did that too. And then 12 yrs later, I spent more than I ever dreamed, though equiv $$ to a year in grad-school, fair enough.  I've thoroughly loved the trip.

I think it's like if you go to Home Depot. Maybe you just want to do stuff; get a pre-pack and good tools. Or maybe just a project. Some arrive at Home Depot, scanning the shelves for ideas ... I've done that. Logos is like Home Depot.

I agree with scooter on purchasing ... sit on it for a bit. Logosians know to wait for the sale. Patience.

And like him, if it's not obvious, it won't get used. So, don't think it will (neato features).

My favorite feature: Cited By tool. And a monster layout .... all my toys where I can see them.

Posts 62
Ken Hicks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 1:03 PM

Everett Headley:

This. All. Day. Long.

Posts 2756
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 1:51 PM

I would tell my younger self what I tell everyone today and have lived by since my younger self. Smile. Decide on a platform early before you begin building your theological library. The formats of the various platforms (Logos, Accordance, Wordsearch Bible, Olive Tree, etc.) are not interchangeable, so pick a primary one now. Between each of them, I like Logos the best, not only because of the UI, but also the company. One extra thing I add today is that, if you are going to go with the Logos platform, it can become quite expensive, and also to watch those payment plans (if you don't have an unlimited amount of finances) because they can build up and you'll find yourself in trouble trying to catch up, especially if your income takes a decline. Start slow and low, and build from there. Be blessed.

Posts 2756
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 2:02 PM

Everett Headley:

Don't do a payment plan.

Buy used libraries. 

On "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket", it's kind of hard not to do and maintain value/dollar, as the resources of the various platforms are not interchangeable. If you spread your resources to multiple Bible Study Software packages, soon you may think why use a program at all, why not just get everything in pdf.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 2:17 PM

Accordance is a good second option to have...I use both daily and they both work well together.

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 884
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 2:23 PM

I only have a couple of salient points of advice for my younger self.

1.  Stop spending money on QuickVerse and buy Logos instead.

2.  Stop upgrading my Logos base package, and only buy resources that I want/need and will use.  Those bloated base packages that are full of books that have zero usefulness to me are only valuable as a meaningless bragging point.

3.  Stop paying retail and wait for the four or so good sales that come along every year... THEN spend the piggy bank on those sweet sweet discounted resources in Logos.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 17823
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 2:58 PM

Ronnie Sinclair:

Wish would have spent more time learning Greek and Hebrew/Aramaic, especially verbal expression.

Thankful for my favorite feature of visual filter highlighting => Examples of visual filters being usable in => Basic and => Verbum Basic so can "see" range of Greek verbal expression. Greek has a more expressive verbal system than English.

Ronnie Sinclair:
... something that has really improved your experience with Logos ...

Thankful for many friendly forum and Faithlife discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn: e.g. Logos wiki => Getting Started with Logos plus free Mobile Education Courses => LT270: Study the Bible with Logos: Jonah 1:1–16 and => LT271: Study the Bible with Logos: Jonah 1

Thankful for Camp Logos, especially tips to keep less open for faster responsiveness while knowing how to open more quickly. Thankful for Faithlife enabling the sharing of documents.

Thankful for Logos 4 Mac pre-alpha releases, which felt like Christmas presents every week or two as more capabilities were enabled for use.

Thankful can easily switch between Windows and macOS.

Ronnie Sinclair:
Even if it doesn't apply directly to me (a non-pastor, non-seminary student plebeian Smile)

Been there, done that for many years. Now looking forward to starting seminary soon. Academic discount can be quite helpful, especially if Logos is required for class use.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8833
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 3:44 PM

Ronnie Sinclair:

Great question Ronnie.

I began to use Logos in the early 1990s primarily to help with the original languages but frankly I didn't use it that much back then but I wish that I had. I believe that Logos is an increasingly powerful tool that takes a long time to master. I wish that I would have invested more time into learning how to maximize it years ago but I'm thankful for the time I've put into it. In particular the forums are an amazing resource for learning how to use Logos and I wish that I started using them from day 1. To summarize in one phrase I would say "invest in training".

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 4:37 PM

In the points about multiple bible apps, it's interesting that no one in the industry had the vision to get a critical mass of vendors together on a common resource format. The vendors choose to compete on locking customers in to their format and investment, instead of realizing there was likely a much bigger market if people could just buy readily, knowing they could move between software products, so they would buy more. Imagine if the "compete on proprietary" approach had been used by Banks/ATMs, gas stations, telephone networks, tax files, document formats, common parts on autos, the list goes on and on in and out of technology...even electricity vendors have figured it out by allowing anyone to be your energy source and your local company is supplier. It was somewhat short sighted and limiting to compete on the hope of locking a customer in instead of by feature/function/quality/performance etc. IMHO everybody loses in the long run, customer and vendor alike.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 5:27 PM

I would tell my younger self to invest in training to learn to use Logos to it's full potential. And I would be more selective about products I have bought.

Posts 2021
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 1 2018 6:55 PM

1. Stick with one program--Logos is best overall.  (I have most of the others for specifics that Logos does not have, but find I rarely use them and don't invest $$ in them.

2. Be patient and wait for sales.  

3. Buy specific resources you need WHEN you need them.

4. As you gain experience you may want to add things like datasets, Journals or specific packages.

5. Invest time and $ -- all you can-- in www.LearnLogos.com   

Posts 7921
LogosEmployee

Don Awalt:
In the points about multiple bible apps, it's interesting that no one in the industry had the vision to get a critical mass of vendors together on a common resource format.

This vision definitely existed (but it failed commercially): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEP_Library 

Posts 43
David Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 2 2018 3:22 PM

Another vote for www.LearnLogos.com.

Also, an SSD will improve your experience.

Finally, if www.LearnLogos.com doesn't answer all your searching questions, this resource will: https://www.logos.com/product/51655/verbum-advanced-search-training

Posts 2821
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 2 2018 7:02 PM

I would tell myself, "Be patient!  Do not go into to debt to buy what you cannot afford."

My finances (plus 4 children and now 9 grandchildren) have forced me to slowly build my Logos Library over the past 25 years.  That is the way to do it.  

Also, take time to learn what resources you need, and what is just fluff and junk.  I am a seminary graduate; therefore, the commentaries and language tools that I should buy are not the ones that most lay people should buy.  But buy quality.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 138
C.E.H. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 3 2018 1:08 AM

1. Use on platform. I had another, so I had to pay for many functions twice. Therefore some books are sometimes cheaper at other platforms,  It was annoying because I always had to look at both. Commands are different and so you need to invest more time.

2. Be patient. With the time you will learn, what a good deal at Logos is and what not. So I agree with the 25% at least. Depends on the book, but you can save much money!  So put the books you want to have on your wish list and you can regular look at the deals.

3. Only buy quality. Ask a pastor, a seminary student or look in the internet what are good resources. For example I use always bestcommentaries.com before I buy a commentary. You don't need bad books.

4. Bring to your mind for what you want to use your books. Do you want to learn Greek and Hebrew? Do you want go deeper in your English bible? How much time do you want to spend at one text? Maybe you don't need to buy 5 good commentaries at one book. I know a person who has over 13.000 books. He needs them. I wouldn't need so many books. That's a generell decision but also every time before you buy a new book.

Posts 823
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 3 2018 3:33 AM

I concur with much of what's written above. I've never done CampLogos or worked through LearnLogos - it kind of jars to have to pay extra for that. My tips would be: 

1. Take time to go through  the introductory videos - it'll pay back hugely. 
  2. Follow the tips Morris Proctor puts on the Logos blog (they also tend to appear on the Home page of the desktop app). They open up different ways of approaching things that nearly always come in useful. 
  3. Learn how to search the library and tag resources. 
  4. Learn how to build collections - it's worth spending time learning the library searching rules. Building collections helps you to make searches more targeted. 
  5. Learn how to prioritize resources and then prioritize your better-quality resources - it will give you far more useful results in the Passage Guide. I never have enough time to go through all the commentaries served up by the Passage Guide, so have prioritized those I regard as higher-quality (not necessarily those that are closest to my own position!) This way, they appear at the top of the list. 
  6. Don't just prioritize commentaries: do the same with lexicons, Bible Dictionaries, and grammars if you work with original languages. This will save you hours of sifting through what gets served up by the Guides. 
  7. Start searching by using the recipes on the search and adapt them rather than trying to learn the entire syntax. 
  8. Learn how to build Visual Filters
  9. As others have said, buy quality, not quantity - a bargain is only a bargain if it's going to be of use to you, and I certainly bought a lot of stuff on sale in case I ever needed it, and haven't ever needed it. 
  10. Buy when stuff is on sale. If you use your Wish List you'll normally get a notification when something on it is on sale. 
  11. Don't focus only on commentaries: good quality Bible Dictionaries (IVP black dictionaries, ISBE, AYBD) and lexicons (BDAG, HALOT) are invaluable resources. 
  12. When you've mastered these, try customising the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide to match your workflow. It's not worth doing these until you know most of the above, as you won't have the skills to put in Passage Guide sections for certain types of commentary, historical background resources, etc. 
  13. Make sure you've put your birthday in your profile: you'll get a voucher every year at the beginning of that month. 

If I had the time, I'd put in some links, but I have to prepare for a funeral so won't be around for the rest of the day. My final tip would be, when looking for any of the above in the Forums, don't use the Forum search box, but use Google, concluding the search term with "site:community.logos.com". Other search engines are available 😀

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS