Books for Church History, Koine Greek and Textual Criticism(NT)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 50
ML1992 | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 8 2018 10:07 PM

Hello,

I'd like to know if there are any comprehensive and good books concerning Church History, Koine Greek and New Testament Textual Criticism.

At the moment I am using the famous "Greek beyond Basics" from Daniel Wallace, and for Textual Criticism I only own a kind of summary-book from Kurt and Barbara Aland. I'm just not familiar with the sources I can trust; same goes for Church History.

I'd also buy the Print Version of those books, if Logos doesnt own them. And I am from Germany, so if the language of the resource (for whatever reason) is german, I'm fine!

Greetings,

Matze

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 8 2018 10:59 PM

A basic book on NT text Criticism;

NT Textual Crticism, a concise guide by David Alan Black

Next I would google Textual crticism on U tube and watch all Daniel Wallaces videos.

That and some other readings got me through seminary.  Blacks book is small but has some examples from memory, I think.

Seminary for me was a long time ago, so browse the bookstore or amazon.  Try and pick something with worked examples.

Leaving you in God's Care and Grace

Posts 217
Joshua Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 8 2018 11:18 PM

As a newbie to Textual Criticism, I found Wallace's course on CredoHouse to be very instructive.

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 12:51 AM

ML1992:
good books concerning Church History

History of Dogma by Harnack is still basic

The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church by Oliphant is another solid history from a different perspective

The Presence of God series by Bernard McGinn is not available in Logos but presents another essential perspective

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3067
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 6:17 AM

I know Lexham put out a book on textual criticism but I don't know how useful it is.  It is part of the Lexham Methods Series

Posts 505
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 8:26 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/2971/a-students-guide-to-textual-criticism-of-the-bible

This book covers both OT and NT textual criticism.  I found it to be a very helpful overview of the topic.  

Posts 505
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 8:29 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/43120/turning-points-decisive-moments-in-the-history-of-christianity-3rd-ed

This is an overview of 14 key events in church history.  It helps a person construct a framework for understanding church history.  

Posts 1379
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 9 2018 8:56 AM

Daniel Yoder:

https://www.logos.com/product/2971/a-students-guide-to-textual-criticism-of-the-bible

This book covers both OT and NT textual criticism.  I found it to be a very helpful overview of the topic.  

After reading this (some years ago) I felt that I understood this subject for the first time.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS