notes and note shortcut problems

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 14
Joseph Bayly | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 11 2018 9:20 AM

I've read and googled and searched here and I've come to the following conclusion.

1. None of the notes views allow me to see both the text I've highlighted *and* the notes I wrote about that text. This includes the "full" view, which inexplicably does not show me the text that I've highlighted. 

2. The only way I can see both together is to view the original book with the highlighting and then hover over the note "indicator" at the beginning of the highlight. 

3. If a highlight also has a note attached to it, there is no indication of that when viewing the highlighted area in the book. And if it doesn't have an "indicator" on it, there is no way to even find out without right-clicking and selecting "open annotation" to tell it to bring up a note that might or might not even exist. 

4. It is impossible to use a shortcut to add a highlight that includes an "indicator."

5. Even with export, there is no way to view both the highlighted text and the note together. 

Thus, if I want to highlight sections of a book and make notes on them, I cannot use a shortcut, or I will never be able to see both the highlighted text and my notes on it.

What this means is that using a shortcut to highlight and note something does something fundamentally different than right-clicking to do the same. 

An obvious solution to this problem would be to use Clippings. However, in that case, as far as I can tell, there is no way to highlight the text, nor is there any way when re-reading the book, to find what texts you highlighted or what notes your wrote. 

Am I missing something major? How do people highlight and make notes on a commentary, for example? The right-click menu is so slow to come up, I can't fathom using it to create every highlight I want. 

Posts 24763
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 9:29 AM

Joseph Bayly:
1. None of the notes views allow me to see both the text I've highlighted *and* the notes I wrote about that text. This includes the "full" view, which inexplicably does not show me the text that I've highlighted. 

I don't see that:

Joseph Bayly:
2. The only way I can see both together is to view the original book with the highlighting and then hover over the note "indicator" at the beginning of the highlight. 

That also works - as below - but please see comments to (1) above

Joseph Bayly:
3. If a highlight also has a note attached to it, there is no indication of that when viewing the highlighted area in the book. And if it doesn't have an "indicator" on it, there is no way to even find out without right-clicking and selecting "open annotation" to tell it to bring up a note that might or might not even exist. 

A highlight is technically a note - but I understand what you meanSmile

Agreed - but generally I would apply an indicator to make it clear

Joseph Bayly:
4. It is impossible to use a shortcut to add a highlight that includes an "indicator."

Agreed - as this is really creating a "full note" and the only relevant shortcuts are for applying highlights

Posts 14
Joseph Bayly | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 10:41 AM

I've got no ability to view the full text of what I highlighted. (See screenshot below.) If I highlight more than a few words in a commentary, it is impossible to see unless I select the "Quotes" view. But the moment I select that view, my own notes are gone. If you can tell me any way I can see both what I highlighted and what I noted on that highlight, I would be very grateful.

Posts 14
Joseph Bayly | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 10:58 AM

Graham Criddle:
A highlight is technically a note - but I understand what you meanSmile

Graham Criddle:
Agreed - as this is really creating a "full note" and the only relevant shortcuts are for applying highlights

Which is it? ;)

With a shortcut I can even add labels and attributes to my highlight-note. Surely that's more of a "full note" than simply adding my own comment. But for whatever reason, specifying an indicator is impossible via shortcut. And without an indicator, my comments are impossible to view together with the highlighted text. So there is no way to use a shortcut to highlight and comment on the highlighted text. A simple choice of adding an indicator via shortcut would make a lot of sense to me. (But maybe I just don't understand what indicators are for?) And while I'm at it, it seems like it would make sense to offer to prompt for your comment, like it allows you to prompt for attributes. 

Graham Criddle:
Agreed - but generally I would apply an indicator to make it clear

If my whole goal is to make it more seamless and easy, the work of editing my note and adding an indicator is going the wrong direction.

What would be useful is if a highlight that had a comment attached to it had some sort of indication that it was more than a highlight, and allowed you to simply hover over it to see the comment.

Posts 24763
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 11:04 AM

Sorry I misunderstood the issue.

You are right that with more than a few words highlighted you don’t see all of them.

However there is work going on to redesign the entire notes system - with an early release currently available at app.logos.com - and this seems to include the whole highlighted passage in the note (I haven’t checked if there is an upper limit)

So it looks as though this will change but I agree it is a current limitation.

We don’t know when the new notes system will be rolled out to the desktop - there have been comments from Faithlife about a beta starting soon.

And please be aware that currently notes created in the web app - the link above - aren’t synced with the desktop app

Posts 14
Joseph Bayly | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 11:22 AM

I'll check it out. And thanks for the warning that the notes are not compatible.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS