Early Church Fathers Series: Bible Commentary or Monograph?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 11 2018 5:06 PM

I have the Ante-Nicene fathers 1 - 9. 

Number 7 shows up as type:Bible Commentary, and the rest show up as type:monograph. 

Can anyone explain this? Same story with the Nicene and Post-Nicene fathers...some are classified as commentaries and some as monographs.

Posts 23892
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 11:53 PM

Within any series there may be books of different types. In this case, there are some volumes that are indexed by Bible reference (commentaries) and many that are not (letters for example). Most of the others will either be Bibles or monographs (in effect the default for every book without special properties).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2746
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 13 2018 10:12 AM

MJ. Smith:

Within any series there may be books of different types. In this case, there are some volumes that are indexed by Bible reference (commentaries) and many that are not (letters for example). Most of the others will either be Bibles or monographs (in effect the default for every book without special properties).

I have not been following the forums regularly lately.  I know that for a while MJ was not posting often.  I hope this post means she is back.  Just seeing this post by MJ, who is always knowledgeable and helpful, lifts my spirits.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 23892
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 13 2018 3:00 PM

Thank you - yes, I'm back.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS