Advanced Searching: Finding All the Commands of Jesus

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 127
John Marino | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:43 AM

I'm trying to find all the commands of Jesus. Morris Proctor wrote an article on it, however he says...

"Also in this search, we’ll find Greek verbs in the imperative mood, which is the mood of command. At times, grammatical constructions may carry an imperative force even though they’re not in the imperative mood. This search will not indentify [SIC] those instances."

I'd like to identify those instances. Best I can come up with, is I need to use the propositional outline tagging system to accomplish that. See my screenshot below. Is this going to be comprehensive? Is it going to omit any references?

Posts 1300
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 8:17 AM

If you're a Logos Now subscriber, you should have access to the "Commands of the Bible" dataset, which would be the easiest approach:

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 2101
LogosEmployee

Rick answered with an easier way to find commands. Let me analyze your search and help you understand some possible improvements to it. Compare your results to the results from this search:

{Speaker <Person Jesus>} INTERSECTS ({Section <PropositionalOutline = Command>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate})

INTERSECTS instead of AND: The AND operator just looks for places where the left and right side show up in the same verse. The INTERSECTS operator looks for places where the left and the right side occur on the same word. This helps eliminate cases where Jesus says something in a verse, but isn't actually the one saying the command.

Using a comma instead of OR: Putting parentheses around a couple of terms and using commas between them instead of OR turns the items into a list. What this does is make it so that each of the terms in the list show up with the same highlighting instead of different highlighting. This happens because the list is treated as a single term, rather than each item in the OR clause acting as its own separate term.

Adding @V??M on the end: The way that you have this term in your search, makes it operate like (A OR B) AND C. This suffers the same problem fixed above with INTERSECTS.

So, the search above identifies the commands. If you want to further narrow this down to ones that don't use imperative mood, you would modify the search to something like:

({Speaker <Person Jesus>} INTERSECTS ({Section <PropositionalOutline = Command>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate})) NOT INTERSECTS @V??M

This says to take all the commands found with the first search and show all the ones that don't also contain an imperative. You can also make this change to Rick's search if you want to make this identification as well.

I hope that helps.

Posts 17990
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 10:02 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Compare your results to the results from this search:

{Speaker <Person Jesus>} INTERSECTS ({Section <PropositionalOutline = Command>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate})

Propositional Outline intersection search can be expanded:

{Speaker <Person Jesus>} INTERSECTS ({Section <PropositionalOutline Command>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline Command (Neg.)>}, {Section <PropositionalOutline Mandate}, {Section <PropositionalOutline = Mandate (Neg.)>})

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Rick answered with an easier way to find commands.

Thankful for Rick's label search that finds more verses than expanded Propositional Outline

{Label Command} INTERSECTS {Speaker <Person Jesus>}

Matthew 4:4 has Propositional Outline Quotation

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 127
John Marino | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 10:25 AM

Thank you all, very helpful. Thanks Andrew for analyzing my search, helps me to understand the search criteria better.

John

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS