Customise in Copy Bible Verses

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 20 2010 11:58 AM

Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic I can do, but what is this?

I want to create a new Copy Bible Verses style. But how? In L3 it was straightforward. But how to begin here?

What are all those punctuation marks? What do they mean? Is this a kind of programming language? If so this is very user-unfriendly for the the non computer-literate among us. I understand that to some people this will be easy, but to me this is weird (and I've been using computers and software for 30 years this summer).

All I want to do is tweak, as I did in L3, some quotation styles to suit my sermon mind-maps and academic papers.

Can somebody help me here? Acts 8:30-31

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:15 PM

Perhaps watching the Windows tutorial on the Copy Bible Verses tool will explain how to use it sufficiently on OS X

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:17 PM

Thanks, Michael, I'll give it a birl. (Scots for whirl)

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:38 PM

Alan Macgregor:
Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic I can do, but what is this?

Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic I cannot do, but I do understand this.

Unfortunately, I'd prefer to be able to read the Bible in it's original languages, but there you go ... that's life!

I'll have a go at explaining it, but the explanation is likely to get a little complex. So please accept my apologies in advance. Wink

Method

To create a new style in 'Copy Bible Verses' in the Mac version at A18, there are a series of codes that are required to define the style. There are four sections:

The first section sets a series of codes which set your general preferences for the copied text. These are listed first without any heading. Each occupies its own line and starts with the '%' character. These are the codes that I'm aware of:

%CopyAllText

%NoCharFormatting

%NoRedLetter

%NoFootnotes

%NoCitation

%UseBibleParagraphs

I think most are self explanatory. If, for example, you don't want to transfer the red lettering in your Bible, then make sure the code '%NoRedLetter' is listed in this section and if you do want red lettering, then just omit this code.

The next three sections describe three different parts of the copied text and are introduced by one of three headings in the code:

=Header
This describes the text that occurs once at the beginning of the copied text. This could be omitted or be as short as simply a quotation mark. Or it could be a separate line with a full reference. This is optional, you don't need to include it.

=ForEachVerse
This describes the text that is pasted for each verse; this is repeated for every verse in the range.

=Footer
This is similar to =Header describes the text that occurs once at the end of the copied text. Again, like =Header it's optional.

To set what text is included in each of the three sections there are a series of codes:

[FullPassageRef]

[FullVerseRef]

[Version]

[VerseNum]

[VerseText]

Again, I think that the meaning of each of these is self explanatory.

The formatting itself is based on simple HTML coding which I won't bother explaining here. Google something similar to 'html primer' and there will be a website that explains it much better than I could! 

Example

So, as an example, if I wanted to create a style that simply copied each verse as a separate paragraph with it's verse number and the reference at the end in red brackets, the code would look something like this:

%NoCharFormatting
%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=ForEachVerse
<p>[VerseNum] [VerseText]</p>

=Footer
<p>([FullPassageRef])</p>

The great thing about this is that as you update this code you can see the effect of your changes in the panel below. This allows you to play with your settings in (pretty much) real time:

I hope this made sense!

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:49 PM

Stephen

Bless you. I did manage to follow what you were doing! Smile I've added it to my favourite posts! Well explained! Star

Just one little thing I didn't get. Could you explain the significance of the <p> and </p> in the following lines?

Stephen Ashton:

<p>[VerseNum] [VerseText]</p>

=Footer
<p>([FullPassageRef])</p>

Thanks.

Every blessing

Alan

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:54 PM

Alan Macgregor:
Could you explain the significance of the <p> and </p> in the following lines?

They indicate the beginning and ending of paragraphs.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:02 PM

Thanks, folks – for being my Philip. I'll have a shot at this before bedtime. (It's 10 pm in civilised parts. Wink)

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:17 PM

Right. Here's my first shot.

How do I get rid of the verse number at the beginning of the quoted text? I tried %NoVerseNum but that didn't work. I would like to get rid of it because it's distracting when preaching. Confused

Every blessing

Alan

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 3:08 PM

Yes! Cracked it!

Getting rid of %CopyAllText removes the verse number. Getting rid of %UseBibleParagraphs gets rid of linebreaks.

Thanks again, folks.

I'm off to bed now. (After 11 pm now)

Every blessing

Alan

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:10 PM

Alan Macgregor:
Yes! Cracked it!

Great! I'm pleased my explanation made sense and you've been able to develop a customised style for Copy Bible Verses. When explaining something like this you never really know how well you've done until you've shared it with someone!

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 127
Darren Paul Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:15 PM

You should also check out the wiki page: http://wiki.logos.com/Copy_Bible_Verses

User Interface Designer - Logos Bible Software

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 1:38 AM

Darren

Thanks. I've printed it off for future reference.

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 23
John Wetzig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 5:50 AM

Thanks, guys, for this post. I've been frustrated with copying verses. Your instructions have really been helpful! God bless you!

Posts 45
Jason York | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:40 AM

I want to ask a question that takes it one step further. I went to the wiki and saw that I can customize the text to be italicized and bold, which I would want, but can I customize it to be a certain font? When I copy it into pages now it pastes as a helvectia font even though the document is times new roman. If I paste and match style it rightly goes in as times new roman, but it removes the superscript verse numbers and makes them normal size, which I don't want. Any suggestions? 

Posts 1
Tom Mc Carrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:14 AM

If you create a new style in MS Word and set it up the way you want it, then point the "copy bible verse" to that style, it should work OK.

Tom

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS