Philana: Two oddities in The Nelson Study Bible: New King James Version

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33437
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 29 2018 2:19 PM

Note that the resource is simply chosen as an example and that it is annotations only ...

Question 1: Why is the chart not tagged so that it appears in a chart search?

Question 2: Why does the right click menu bring up information regarding the non-existent text of Mk 5:23 for the heading of a chart? It appears that it fails to recognize the boundary between the verse commentary and the broader (generic) table. Many of the items on the right click menu refer to the non-existent text rather than the commentary text which is what actually appears in this resource ... not particularly helpful clutter, IMHO.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3649
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 11:04 AM

MJ. Smith:

Note that the resource is simply chosen as an example and that it is annotations only ...

Question 1: Why is the chart not tagged so that it appears in a chart search?

Becuase Media search is searching for images that are charts, not text charts.

MJ. Smith:

Question 2: Why does the right click menu bring up information regarding the non-existent text of Mk 5:23 for the heading of a chart? It appears that it fails to recognize the boundary between the verse commentary and the broader (generic) table. Many of the items on the right click menu refer to the non-existent text rather than the commentary text which is what actually appears in this resource ... not particularly helpful clutter, IMHO.

I'll look into why this is tagged this way.

Posts 33437
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 1:31 PM

Thank you. All these years I've thought "charts" meant "charts" in the more inclusive sense. No wonder I've never found what I wanted. But then what are "tables"?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 1:54 PM

MJ. Smith:

Thank you. All these years I've thought "charts" meant "charts" in the more inclusive sense. No wonder I've never found what I wanted. But then what are "tables"?

We were just having this discussion at home the other day.  I personally say chart=table for non-science uses.  So does my spouse......What I was looking at called a graph a chart.  Uh-uh.  

Posts 2766
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 4:11 PM

Tables tend to be information represented in rows and columns of a table. Charts are information represented in other ways. In my opinion, some of those tables (family trees) should be marked as charts.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 33437
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 6:55 PM

Thanks Andrew. I'll try to revise my memory correctly :-)

Posts 3649
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 1 2018 4:22 PM

MJ. Smith:

Hi M.J.,

I just wanted to follow up. I talked with the team who creates the resources and they indicated that the table is tagged by the reference because it was in that section.

Posts 33437
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 1 2018 5:17 PM

Thanks, Philana, that confirms what I suspected - another quirk of Logos tagging not necessarily intended by the authors.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS