Original language

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 2 2018 10:49 PM

Okay,

Is there much support for the idea that the NT was written in Aramaic?  I have heard that the Eastern Church says that and the Western Church says it was written in Greek.  I also have a request for Frans Delitzsch translation. I would like to read it in logos if possible.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 2 2018 11:45 PM

Not really because how would the churches planted outside of Jerusalem and those who were Jewish be able to read and understand Aramaic 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 2 2018 11:53 PM

Nor is there any manuscrip evidence for that claim

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 3 2018 6:43 AM

William:

Okay,

Is there much support for the idea that the NT was written in Aramaic?  I have heard that the Eastern Church says that and the Western Church says it was written in Greek.  I also have a request for Frans Delitzsch translation. I would like to read it in logos if possible.

Regarding Delitzsch, I'm guessing you're not looking for modern hebrew::

https://www.logos.com/product/3157/hebrew-new-testament 

It's conceivable at some pooint, Logos might do specialized translations; you might want to suggest in the Suggestions sub-forum.

The NT or parts, from aramaic has a easy to find group outside Logos, but not inside. The basic issue is that the greek may have hebrew-isms (which are themselves, slippery), but the greek is decent greek. I'm not sure that logic works well. English translations are pretty good, even though they come from hebrew, and have been stripped clean of their hebrew-ness.

I'm currently reading the ICC volume on Revelations. Charles' amusing struggle is with created greek, by someone with a formal hebrew background, that speaks aramaic. Ergo a Galilean locked up on an greek island who leads a fractious series of greek churches.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS