Best Conservative Old Testament Introduction

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1850
Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2021 3:27 PM

Doc B:

I like Harrison and Young, in that order. Young is probably slightly more conservative, but Harrison is quite a bit more detailed, and his work on JEPD is unmatched, IMO.

Both Harrison and Young seem to be discounted in the Christmas sale: Introduction to the Old Testament Collection (3 vols.) | Logos Bible Software

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 3127
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2021 4:59 PM

Paul Caneparo:

I have the book in hardcopy and like it enough I bought the Logos version as well...fantastic discount.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 5927
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2021 5:26 PM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

Michael Kinch:

How does a  Catholic introduction differ from a protestant one?

I would assume it has the deuterocanonical books, also.

Yes.

This particular volume draws together and dives deeply but very readably into the insights of the latest historical-critical research, understood through the lens of (Catholic) faith, and the wisdom of ancient/early Christians.

Non-Catholics will, of course, find things in it that they disagree with, but it has positive editorial reviews not only from Catholic scholars but also from Protestant (Daniel I. Block of Wheaton College, Richard Averbeck of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) and SDA (Roy Gane of Andrews University) ones for good reason: it is authentically valuable even to non-Catholics.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2021 9:33 PM

The Old Testament Survey: The Message, Form, and Background of the Old Testament by William Sanford LaSor, David A. Hubbard and Frederic Bush is on Christmas sale as part of this collection:

Eerdmans Bible Reference Collection (5 vols.) | Logos Bible Software

LaSor/Hubbard/Bush gets a recommendation by John F. Evans in his Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works, 10th edition, also available in Logos.

Posts 8949
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 9:07 AM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

The Old Testament Survey: The Message, Form, and Background of the Old Testament by William Sanford LaSor, David A. Hubbard and Frederic Bush is on Christmas sale as part of this collection:

Eerdmans Bible Reference Collection (5 vols.) | Logos Bible Software

LaSor/Hubbard/Bush gets a recommendation by John F. Evans in his Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works, 10th edition, also available in Logos.

Thanks! I got the OT Survey and two other books for $16.89! Awesome deal! Now I have both the English and Spanish version 👍

DAL

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2021 10:16 AM

DAL:

Thanks! I got the OT Survey and two other books for $16.89! Awesome deal! Now I have both the English and Spanish version 👍

De nada! Yes

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS