A Deeper Dive into the words

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 17
Richard Billingsley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 17 2018 11:04 AM

The basic tools like Strong's tell us of words that are derived from combining two (or more) words to create a new word, but it does not really go very deep into explaining the origin and the full meaning of those individual subwords.

Looking to dive deeper into these studies I wanted to ask you what books would you recommend to do a deeper word study in Logos 7.  

Thank you

Posts 626
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 17 2018 12:14 PM

Beyond Lexicons such as the BDAG/HALOT Bundle, I find dictionaries to be quite useful for going deeper in a word study. The New International Dictionary of Theology and Exegesis: Old and New Testament (10 vols.) and Eerdmans Theological Dictionary Bundle (TDOT/TDNT) (25 vols.) have proven their worth to me in this area.

Also, don’t forget to utilize the Bible Word Study where all of this information is pulled together in one location for you.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 2362
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 17 2018 1:11 PM

Richard Billingsley:
words that are derived from combining two (or more) words to create a new word, but it does not really go very deep into explaining the origin and the full meaning of those individual subwords.

Richard, would you please provide a specific example of one or two of these words. A NT and OT example would be very much appreciated.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 18065
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 17 2018 1:43 PM

Beloved:
... please provide a specific example of one or two of these words. A NT and OT example would be very much appreciated.

Search from BEFORE 2 WORDS (and,repeated) in Strong's Dictionary resources finds over 2,000 words:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2362
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 17 2018 2:10 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Search from BEFORE 2 WORDS (and,repeated) in Strong's Dictionary resources finds over 2,000 words

Thanks, KS4J!

Am I right that one method of studying these words is to look at the resources suggested in Parallel Resouces?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 18065
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 17 2018 11:08 PM

Beloved:

Search from BEFORE 2 WORDS (and,repeated) in Strong's Dictionary resources finds over 2,000 words

Thanks, KS4J!

Am I right that one method of studying these words is to look at the resources suggested in Parallel Resouces?

Yes, when a resource is open that has lemma headword (or Strong's #), can click "+" for new tab that has Parallel Resources with that headword. After choosing resource in new tab, can drag that tab as desired:

Bible Word Study has Lemma section, which is another method of studying.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 17
Richard Billingsley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 18 2018 1:02 PM

Thank you all for the excellent input.  I purchased some of the resources.

Posts 779
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 11:15 AM

Beloved:
... please provide a specific example of one or two of these words. A NT and OT example would be very much appreciated.

Search from BEFORE 2 WORDS (and,repeated) in Strong's Dictionary resources finds over 2,000 words:

Keep Smiling Smile

For words like these that are derived morphologically (like Greek words with a prepositional prefix), you may find the Root section of Bible Word Study helpful to find more information about them. Here's an example for ἀναβαίνω:

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS